PDA

View Full Version : Fun while it lasted!

Ike
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
For those interested, I thought I would update the status on my sign shop business...... It is done. My main income came from attending fairs and my wife has not found a job. So the money saved up for fair fees is being used to live. The fair business is so political that if you miss one year you lose your spot. So it isn't even worth trying, not to mention with the State of Ca. being broke. The State is not funding the county fairs, so there will be quite a few little fairs going to the wayside. The bigger fairs are taken by other sign shops.

As time goes on I will know if I even keep my website. I am holding off using any web services like Google Adwords etc. Now the next two weeks will tell if I start selling my CW's and other tools.

Thanks for the support from a few special members, Tom, Terry, Clint, Jaroot and many more!

Ike

jpaluck
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Been a rough economy..hang in there Ike

Kenm810
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Our Thoughts and Wishes go out to You, Please take care

lawrence
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Hang in there buddy-- if there's anything we can do please let us know

Lawrence

LittleRedWoodshop
02-01-2012, 10:28 PM
sending prayers your way ... .

jaroot
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I know it hurts to see something you've built die. So sorry to hear about your situation. Being in the construction business I do feel your pain. I've spent about half of the last two or three years unemployed. Fortunately for us it seems like it is slowly starting to turn around. Perhaps the same will happen for you. Best wishes and hopes that it will turn around for you soon.

easybuilt
02-02-2012, 12:07 AM
You are welcome Rick. You know I am always there for you so please call if you want to talk.

dbfletcher
02-02-2012, 07:30 AM
I hope things turn around for you. You have been such an important part of this community I would hate to see that change.

mtylerfl
02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
For those interested, I thought I would update the status on my sign shop business...... It is done. My mine income came from attending fairs and my wife has not found a job. So the money saved up for fair fees is being used to live. The fair business is so political that if you miss one year you lose your spot. So it isn't even worth trying, not to mention with the State of Ca. being broke. The State is not funding the county fairs, so there will be quite a few little fairs going to the wayside. The bigger fairs are taken by other sign shops.

As time goes on I will know if I even keep my website. I am holding off using any web services like Google Adwords etc. Now the next two weeks will tell if I start selling my CW's and other tools.

Thanks for the support from a few special members, Tom, Terry, Clint, Jaroot and many more!

Ike

Hi Rick,

I am so sorry to hear about the rough times you and your family are going through. I saw the photos of your shop and am extremely impressed with your setup. I can't bear the thought of you selling any of your equipment...I know it took awhile to build that up to what it is today.

I'm thinking maybe you could shift gears, so to speak, from doing the craft shows to canvassing local businesses and residential customers to offer your services to create custom signs within a reasonable radius of your shop (maybe within a 30 to 60 mile radius?). Perhaps you could create some flyers and print them out for distribution. My hope is that both residential and business customers would be alerted to the fine work you do and drum up some business relatively quickly.

Of course, if I can help you in any way, please let me know.

fwharris
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Rick,

Sorry to hear things are not going well with your sign shop. Especially troubling knowing how great of a job you do with your signs. Hoping things make a turn around for you!

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Rick,

This makes me Sad Too... I wish you the best.... No one can ever take away the skills you have built up from the years making signs and being in business. Shifting directions in life for a while may open up new opportunities in the future. You have a Gold Mine of Skills that you will never loose.

Good Luck,

And Thank You for all the Advice you have given me as I grew through some very hard times....

Your Friend,

AL

Ike
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much my friends, it is hard to face facts,but it is something I need to do. Michael thank you for the call I did get your message. The problem is our savings is depleted and the money for the fairs is being used to live. My wife has been to so many interviews and have been rejected. It really puts a damper on our spirits. Really more so for me since I can't get a job since most places won't hire a person with 4 ruptured disc and all the pain meds I take. I am trying!

I really am sorry I seem to post oh poor me post, lol I have wrote and erased post so many times! As president Lincoln once commented it is better to write a letter to somebody or something negative. Read it and then destroy it and you will feel better! The biggest downfall for us was that dog gone soda business. I know it may not seem possible, but we lost over $250,000!

I really appreciate all the kinds words and suggestions. I have came to terms that my sign shop is done! You know I went through this when I had to medically retire from the Dept. of Corrections. I didn't really want to go to fairs and work all those long hours and at first I did furniture restoration. I also made signs and some furniture. I was not making too much and my wife was working. Before I had to retire my wife never needed to work, so being a proud man I wanted to have a business that she could stay at home. Our kids were still young so they need their mom, but ended up getting their dad!

So after a time I decided to take out a business loan and start the fair route! The problem was I really had to sell myself to get the fairs. There is a chain sign shop that has inundated the market. So it was tough to get any big fairs. I went to some and found out why they didn't have a sign maker! To be honest my sign business has never been that profitable that my wife could stop working. Now with California being broke the Governor cut all funding to all counties. It effects the fairs I attend most since they are smaller fairs. So this may have been my last year anyway?

So I am praying that this may be blessing rather then a curse! It is definitely a blessing I have the money that was for the fairs I can use to live until my wife or me finds a job. It really isn't all bad as it seems! My wife and I have applied for a job we would both work. I will share the details when I know for sure. I hope to know by next week.

Thanks again and sorry again for poor ol me post!

Ike

TerryT
02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Rick, not much left to say that others haven't already expressed. Just know that we are all hoping and praying for things to improve. Best of luck my friend.

eelamb
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Rick I agree with Terry, we are all hoping it gets better for you and quickly.

Ike
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you again all! I hope be sharing some good news soon!

Rick

DocWheeler
02-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Rick,

Sorry I'm late to the thread, and even more sorry to hear of your circumstances.
I hope that you will be as lucky as I have been in changing careers.

Hang in there!

Ike
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Thank you Doc, like I said I debated even posting my original post. I am thankful for my true friends that have replied. All of your kind words are very comforting! My wife and I are waiting to see about the results of an interview we both interviewed for a team manager job. I will go into more detail when we know we have the job. If not lol guess there won't be any need to!

We are hoping for this job, but still my wife interviewed for another job and will continue to do so until we know about the job we want! Never the less even if she did get a job the time frame has passed and the money saved for the fairs is being used. So no more fairs since most or all requires I pay the space fees way in advance. The fairs being my main source of income and no fairs means the no sign shop! If we get the job for both of us no more signs, so I have accepted the fact. If we don't get the team job and she gets another job then maybe the sign shop can exist through the web?

So those who pray please pray for the team job. We want this job and I will gladly give up my sign shop! Thank you again my friends!

Rick

Gary Koval
02-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Rick,
Not being one who adds a lot to this forum (but wishes I could), knows that without you help and insight in this community it would be a different place. And not being one to take "NO" for an answer you "WILL NOT" leave here. This is just a bump in the road that I know you will overcome! With that in mind I look forward to reading you here!
Gary

Digitalwoodshop
02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Ike,

Like ChrisAlb who is temporally gone from the Forum doing Cross Country Trucking, He is Gone but not Forgotten... We look forward to you chiming in with updates when you can. You Advice is valuable to new Sign Makers in Need....

Keep us updated.

AL

SteveEJ
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Ike,
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Things are not good out there as you know. I travel all over and see empty buildings everywhere yet the Govt says that unemployment is down. Bull.. That's not what I see out there. People are just giving up and not filing anymore. The politicians can spin anything!

Having retired and working again because of need not want brings things to perspective. My wife and I will be praying for you and your family! I do hope things get better!

Steve

cestout
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
As I said before, at least keep a carving machine so you will have a reason to stay here on the forum.
Clint

CarverJerry
02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Ike, I know the feeling first hand, and like everyone else here I"m really saddened to hear this bad news. Times are tuff, I know, but luck does happen as it did with me. As you know I had just landed a job after being laid off for over 2 years, 2 1/2 weeks into this new job I got my butt ran over in the parking lot by a co-worker durning lunch time, was off work for months, got fired or as they said let go becaused I filed a workers comp claim for the accident, (but I did win the case - not that really means a lot) and ended up getting recalled back to the place where I was laid off. So hang in there, you'll be in my prayers buddy, you have way too much wood in your blood just to give it up totally. Stay in touch on the forum, we need you. And good luck

Capt Bruce
02-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Dear Rick,
As your whole community of friends have said you are in our prayers, and we're hoping that the dual position you have both applied for will be offered and help you make the changes needed. We all are deeply concerned when any member of our Forum, our second family falls on a rough patch. We cannot be there in person to help you up but please know we are with you if we can help in any way, you have but to ask. With or without a CW to touch and carve on, you are regardless one of our strongest sources of inspiration and help so you will always be a Carver among friends. I've been there myself and observed that the strong of spirit somehow rise above adversity, despite all the roadblocks the economy, disasters and life in general throw in our path. Finding the next open path is the challenge and the only tools you need to accomplish that are the honesty, spirit and intelligence you already have and share with all of us. Your friends are pulling for you Rick. Wishing you the best!

Ike
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Thank you all again! I really appreciate it very much. Like I said I hesitated several times to even post my situation. I really wasn't trying to to make everybody feel sorry for me. I guess I needed to share and I appreciate the prayers and knowing my true friends! The opportunity the wife and I have is a good one, but I will have very little time to do any carving or wood working. I want to go into more details, but until I know I have the job I am not sharing. It will be a job of servant to God.

I may seem negative, but until I sign my name I don't count on anything! Through my experience things go well and then go south. I am that guy if it can go wrong it will. One good sign is we had a phone interview for a screening and then they flew us to Portland Or. for a face to face interview. It went well and we have one more hurdle an interview with the regional manger who makes the final decision and that is where we stand.

On the flip side of the coin if it does not go through, then I have a slight chance of being to attend the fairs. That is if my wife finds a job before our savings run out. I go to smaller Northern Ca fairs and without State funding they will be going to the way side soon. So even if I was able to continue the fairs after this year they will most likely close and the fairs that can make it already have sign makers.

I will keep you posted when I know and I don't plan to stop visiting the forum if we do get the job. The problem is we will be downsizing and I may need to sell my CW's and other tools for lack of room. Not to mention I rather my CW's being used then sitting. Lol I say one day I will use my K2 CNC I bought new over 3 years ago and it sits with the motors still covered and parts in a box!

Anyone reading this new or senior members and need help on sign design, finishing or CW issues feel free to ask me. I may even make a video on making hand routed sign to sell. I have seen a video from a guy that....well I wouldn't buy his video! Am I saying I can do better...yes! I am not bragging it is just true!

Thank you again,

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
As I said before, at least keep a carving machine so you will have a reason to stay here on the forum.
Clint

I on the other hand think that if the need be... Sell the CW Machines... You don't need to own a machine to be able to productively participate in this forum... Rick has a unusual background that brought insight and advice to the forum from YEARS of doing it the Traditional way that required SKILL and Training... Weather you learned from someone or just through the school of Hard Knocks.. Every Mistake is a learning Opportunity... We learn by Necisity... I would have never learned to cut 2 sided FRP with my machine had I had another source.... I learned because I needed to learn.... SO I Don't feel Sorry for IKE (Rick)... He is a Proud Productive AMERICAN and due to some things out of OUR control He is doing a Temporary Downsizing... Doors are Closing and NEW Doors are OPENING....

I am Proud of IKE for his first post... No SAD... I feel Sorry for myself.... Just the FACTS... This is the Crossroad that "I am AT TODAY" and I am making some Changes in my LIFE... Downsizing... The State of CA is not making it very easy on anyone.... The Fair System has changed and with NO State Money the Fair Operators just look at the Vendors as the Answer to the Cash FLOW.... Jack Up all the FEES Ike has to PAY... And that just is NOT Right... But faces with Closing... Some might remember in 2008 our Carving Buddy ChrisAlb helped me Deliver Wooden Carved County Fair Fire Competition Awards made on the CW. That was the last year..... It was a Saturday Night FREE EVENT in the Grand Stands... Fire Dept's from all over used fire hoses to push a Beer Barrel on a Cable between two poles.... A Compition.... Along with other tasks.... The following year at the last minute a Truck Pull PAY event kicked the Firemen out.... The end of a 30 year Tradition....

So Ike sells his machines as needed, He still participates as a VALUABLE RESOURCE to the MANY New Users HERE.... With YEARS of Finishing Experience.. A great ASSETT....

So fast forward 3 years.... The Economy is picking up... Ike (Rick) is ready to hit the County Fair Trail AGAIN... LHR has just released the "E" Version in a 24 inch... With a 3rd Axis built in to be able to cut 4 Cain's, Table Legs, or Baseball Bats at a time. Ike (Rick) has a new Motor Home and Fair Trailer Wood Shop.... The Short "REST" has enabled IKE (Rick) to focus on things that matter.... Now it is back to WORK..... As Ike drives off into the Sunset going to the First Fair of the YEAR..... And WE all live Happily EVER AFTER......

Ike (Rick) and I have a very very LONG History... We have traded many emails and PM over the years.... Many while I was painting a sign sitting next to my computer late at night on the east coast and Ike on the west coast.... I even have one of his used machines here....

OK... Your thinking... "AL's been Tipping the Brewski...." NO.... But I did get the BEST Night of SLEEP last night in 10 YEARS.... It was the first night using a CPAP Breathing Machine.... The thing that blows warm air into your nose while you sleep.... I have had Sleep Apnea for at least 10 years.... Never knew IT... Just know I was always TIRED.... Stopping Breathing at night.... This is a Test Machine... Has a Memory Card... The first test was a Headset I wore for 3 nights at HOME.... The VA Clinic was so backlogged for the Sleep Clinic they farmed it out.... Done by mail rather in a place where you sleep overnight... For me it would have been a 70 mile drive.... 6 times.... The home Version worked GREAT... The computer told me that 6% of last nights sleep breathing was being done by the machine.... NO Wonder I was always TIRED and Fatuige....

So that is my New Found ENERGY..... Time for a WALK.... Going to GET Healthy This YEAR.... My Sugar numbers are good for the first time in 3 years....

Good Luck IKE,

Check In OFTEN !!!!

AL

Ike
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Thank you Al I appreciate it very much! I am itching to tell about the job, but it will be such a long post and until we get the job I will wait until it is ours! I have told a couple members who called me and thank you again Michael and Ken! Al if you like give me a call and I will fill you in.

Plus if Cindy and I do get the job the chances are slim to none I will ever start up the fair circuit again. This job will mean we will need to move to Reno or Carson City Nevada. Not far from where we live. So there is an end to everything and I am okay with the end of RC Woodworks. My health is only getting worst and if by chance I do the fairs this year I will be sleeping in my shop. My dad wants to promote his business and last year I stayed in his motorhome. Staying in motels are too expensive and takes away the profit. I don't have the money to buy a camper or RV so the shop floor will be my home!

Fast forward for us will be moving up in this company and all our bills paid! Then maybe we will buy another home with a shop and back to woodworking!

Rick

Ike
02-04-2012, 09:46 PM
WOW is all I say! This is a second family, some brothers, some first cousin and some cousins twice removed! Thank you Tom for first of the calls and Michael and Ken and Al. Then all who has posted with all the support! I ask for prayers for this job we face still one maybe two hurdles. I really want to believe God is closing the doors to my sign shop to open the door for this job. Yet I know from the past we have had doors opened because of our desires and learned from the bad experience. I hope this is not the case and this is God's direction and not our desire.

So when I know I will share and explain the whole thing!

Rick

WRW
02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi Ike
You do not know me and I only know you through your posts to this woodworking community,how ever I have followed your posts since July of 2009. Your posts (2960 andcounting) have been educational (if I remember correctly I learned abouttorching the fuzz from the carve from one of your posts and still use it),helpful, sometimes humors :) and above all supportive of fellow members of this online community in times of trouble. With the character traits you have shown this community I can only believe you the right man for any position you would chose to pursue. It is my hope that this community does not lose one such as yourself.
I wish you and your wife all the best in your pursuits where ever they take you.
Thanks for your Help.

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Talked to Rick for close to an Hour last night thanks to Magic Jack... Yes, this is like a Family Forum... Rick will do WELL, this is a Temporary Down sizing. He will still be with us adding Advice and Inspiration.

AL

Ike
02-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I wanted to thank again Tom, Michael, Ken and Al for phone calls and posts. Also thank you John, Lawrence, Jason, jaroot, Doug, Floyd, Terry, Doc, Gary, Steve, Clint, Jerry, Capt. Bruce and WRW for your post. I appreciate the support!

The current update my wife and I are still hopeful for the co-manager job for Holiday independent retirement community. We have had a phone interview and then they flew us to Portland Or. for a face to face. We passed our written test for MS office and we are waiting for the final interview with the regional manager. We would have had the interview, but she took the week off! If we do get the job I will give the full details!

As forth to my sign shop well it over even if we don't get the job. We are now needing to use the fair fees money I saved for this years fairs. With the fairs if you can't come up with the fees you lose your space. Not just for that year, but until the next sign shop fails to pay. So that said, I am done! My wife has been to so many interviews and rejected so even keeping my website is soon going to be through.

Thank you again all my friends who called and posted for your support and encouragement. I hope next week we will know about the job. It is sad to give up a business I have had for so many years. But as I have posted California is no longer supporting any of the county fairs. So most likely this would have been my last year. All the bigger fairs that will make it have the chain sign makers.

Rick

lynnfrwd
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
We are praying for you and your wife to get the new job. I understand about the fairs, but sure wish you could hang on to the machine. Either way and no matter what happens, we ALL expect (and hope for) you to continue to be a part of our community.

Connie

rcdages
02-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Rick,

Sorry I'm late to the thread, and even more sorry to hear of your circumstances.

I have not been looking at the forum much, a good number of things here at work and at home I have been dealing with. This is not about me, my poor fellow I am just so saddened to hear what is going on in you life now.

I know first hand what the feeling is when you have to shut down a businesss and sell ones tools.

It is 3:51 pm here in Conroe, TX and I just called and left you a mesage on your phone, hope you get it. even tho time has passed and we have not talked or e-mail, there is not a time I have not wondered how you were doing. You have always been a BIG part of this Carvewright family and a good good friend to me. We talked so much after Carolyn passed. I will as always be praying for you and your wife that things will turn out to be a new and bright world for you and that it might soften the fall.

Life is always a journey, not always a fun one or one filled with happiness, yet it is were we are. My journey is much different now that Carolyn is gone and I have to keep looking up to see Carolyn looking over me. Carolyn took me for what I was and shaped me in to what I am today. I can not tell you how many times I want to kick the sky and ask way, way is Carolyn is not here. Then I hear her voice in the back of my mind, it is part of God's plan. She was the Post that keep me strong.
I know in my heart of hearts that you and your wife together will keep each other strong.

God Bless you both.

Robert

Ike
02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Robert sorry I missed the call. Cindy and I are in Reno, tomorrow she is talking a test for the State of Nevada. We feel good about the job, but until we sign the dotted line we are keeping our options open. Connie I have not yet sold any tools that is the last resort if we do not get the job. If we do I still will have to downsize because part of the job is living on site in a one bedroom apartment without a shop. So we will be selling our house and possibly most or all my tools.

This job will be very demanding so woodworking is going to be few and far in between. So I am not worried about losing the sign shop! If we don't get the job then the selling begins!

So next week will tell! So far all her interviews have ended with dear Jane letters. So we are putting our faith in God it is because we have the job.

Rick

jpaluck
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Praying for you Ike...hope it all shaes out the way you need and want it too

CNC Carver
02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Hope you and yours the best. I was off work for almost 2 years when I got a job with the State with excellent benifits. Musch better than what I had been doing. Some times the good thing is waiting around the next corner. I found this forum and this wonderful machine on the verge of my wife losing her job as her company was bought out and downsized. My blessings go out to you and all others on this forum.

Ike
02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Hope you and yours the best. I was off work for almost 2 years when I got a job with the State with excellent benifits. Musch better than what I had been doing. Some times the good thing is waiting around the next corner. I found this forum and this wonderful machine on the verge of my wife losing her job as her company was bought out and downsized. My blessings go out to you and all others on this forum.

Thank you so much for the support. My wife quit her job from the State of Ca a few years ago when we bought our soda business. Since the soda business went under she has been trying to get back on with the State for almost 2 years. California is so broke and quite of few people have been laid off. So before my wife will be hired the current people laid off get the chance for any open spots. I am medically retired and have a hard time finding anybody to hire me.

I do know for sure is my sign business is finish and my next step is closing my website, my credit card services, paypal etc. Then calling all the fairs and letting them know I will not be able to attend anymore. The wife and I are still waiting to hear is we got a job for a co-manager position for Holiday independent retirement community. We had a phone interview and then they flew us to Portland Or. for a face to face interview. We passed all our test and we are waiting for one more interview with the regional administrator. Who has been off on personal leave all last week and we still have not heard anything this week.

So I am not sure what is going on? I am trying my best to wait as long as I can before putting the final nail in the coffin. But time is running out! Thank you again and I am glad you have been able to find a better job. I will post more as I know more.

Rick

TerryT
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Rick,
I don't know if this will help you or not. As they say, advice is cheap, but I have never had any kind of luck at fairs. You might want to try the craft fairs a few times before giving up. At least most of the people there are thinking of actually buying something instead of just going on the rides and eating funnel cakes. I gotta tell ya... at least around my little corner of the world, I get all the work I want. In fact I get more than I want. Advertising on Craigs list, craft fairs and word of mouth seems to work great, at least for me. I realize that I probably don't need as much income from it as you might since I'm retired and have other income, but still if you could bring in two or three grand a month extra it would help. I would sure hate to see you leave a profession that you have mastered and been working at for so many years.

I know California is hurting. Many of the Califorians have and are moving to Washington. They thinks it is a better place to live, especially if they can make it just like California.... which they left cause it wasn't Washington... which they will move to and make just like Cali..... oh, never mind.

Ike
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Thank you Terry, I do well at fairs that is not the problem. The problem is ever since the soda business failing my wife has been looking for a job. She would find part -time jobs and even with my retirement it was not enough to live. So we sold our RV and I have sold several other items / tools and used the money to pay off what we could and used the rest to survive each month. Last year was a good year at the fairs so money made was used instead of the little savings. Then my wife found a full-time job and I had money for fair fees for this year. Then her job laid her off and now the money for the fairs is being used and quickly until we get the job or she finally gets one of the many jobs she has interviewed for.

The problem with craft fairs for me is they are too far away and not worth doing only for 2 days. Plus remember I custom make signs on the spot so I need electricity and 50 amps. I can get by with 30 amps, but need to be careful. I have tried pre-made signs and other wood items at craft fairs and have not done well. Plus like home and garden shows, craft fairs fees are usually higher. So with gas, fees, insurance and being only couple days I have never done well. I stop going to the Genoa Candy dance for the same reasons. Genoa is between Carson City and Minden Nev. and is only a couple hour drive, gas $200.00. They want $600.00 for the spot fee and another $75.00 for power and another $75.00 for insurance. I need to stay at a motel since I don't have an RV so for 3 days there is another $300.00. Then food $125.00, so that is $1375.00 The first year I made about $2500.00 so $1125.00 for 2 days 16 hours was not bad. The thing is the last 3 years have been about $1900.00 so $525.00 is not good.

The other thing is I tried to put away the fee money for the next year and the $525.00 equals ZERO! With the fairs last year my dad helped me and we stayed in his RV. The fairs I attend are 5 day fairs on the average and the fees are $350.00 and we stayed at fair's RV parks that are about $150.00. We spent about $100.00 for food and gas averaged about $250.00. Insurance $75.00 so that is $925.00 and most fairs I made about $2500 to $3300. My local fair is the least about $1600.00, but my expenses are just the fair fees and insurance.

I don't care for all the scams from Craig's list and all I do are signs so I am not sure if it would even work especially two to three thousand a month. Lol if I could make that a month, this thread would not exist! Bottom line the soda business is what broke us and we still owe debt. So even if I wanted to go to craft fairs I can't because the money I have for the fairs is being used to make it until we get a job. I was going to use a search engine company to promote my web site in hopes to get more orders. But that takes money and I am not borrowing anymore money.

I have tried craft fairs and every county fair has a sign maker. Not to mention over the 10 years of doing the fairs I have several repeat customers that come to the fair just for a sign. Oh another thing people at craft fairs don't want to wait for a sign to be made. Nor pay for shipping, I am not sure if it is the extra cost or not trusting me to send the sign? It doesn't matter because I am at the point I can't afford the fees, gas etc for any fairs, craft or county! Plus I will not go into debt to borrow any money.

Thank you again for the advice, but it is okay I have come to terms my sign shop is done. At least going to events!

Rick

PS don't worry I have no plans to move to Washington, sorry I don't much care for the state! I do want to leave Calif., but Nevada is where we hope we end up!

TerryT
02-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Well, it was just a thought. It looks like you have given it a lot of consideration. If I have any other ideas I will offer them (hope you don't mind). I didn't think about the "making signs on the spot" thing. I think you are right, people at craft fairs are pretty much impulse buyers and probably wouldn't want to wait.
Good luck on the Nevada Job. Hope you hear something soon.

As far as moving to Washington... you would be more than welcome! Come on up!! Being on the Washington Idaho boarder there are at least a half dozen movie stars that have homes and lake property with in 35 to 40 miles of me. I've been thinking of becoming a Paparazzi. Or should I say "Photo Journalist". LOL

Ike
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, it was just a thought. It looks like you have given it a lot of consideration. If I have any other ideas I will offer them (hope you don't mind). I didn't think about the "making signs on the spot" thing. I think you are right, people at craft fairs are pretty much impulse buyers and probably wouldn't want to wait.
Good luck on the Nevada Job. Hope you hear something soon.

As far as moving to Washington... you would be more than welcome! Come on up!! Being on the Washington Idaho boarder there are at least a half dozen movie stars that have homes and lake property with in 35 to 40 miles of me. I've been thinking of becoming a Paparazzi. Or should I say "Photo Journalist". LOL

Thank you Terry, please do post ideas it may help somebody else. Without money for travel, booth fees. lodging etc. I am done! Not trying to be negative, just the truth!

So thank you again to those who posted with their support. It is time to end this thread. I am sure members are tired of reading my post!

Rick

k9smith
02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Wow nice first post, if you dont like it dont read it. Sometimes its good for a person to vent to friends which is what most of the people here refer to each other as!

TerryT
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, Fellow Woodworker, you can rest assured that if you ever have problems you will also find a sympathetic ear right here with your carve friends.

chkorte
02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
You can say that again k9smith. I read that post before it got deleted. That guy must have some serious problems of his own to maake a comment like that.

TerryT
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Rick,
Any word on the new job yet?? You gotta let us know as soon as you hear. Good luck.... again!!

Ike
02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow nice first post, if you dont like it dont read it. Sometimes its good for a person to vent to friends which is what most of the people here refer to each other as!

Terry I sent a PM to you. To all others wondering we did not get the job. After 3 weeks we haven't heard a thing, then we get a call from the first lady who interviewed us via the phone. We told her nothing yet, so she took another week to send an e-mail telling us another couple was picked. Ended with best the luck to you two.......so don't call us we will call you!

Sorry I just don't have any good news. I guess the company needed a tax write off since they paid for us to fly to Portland and a rental car?

rcdages
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Ike,

I am so so sorry to hear about this.

What a heart break. Can not really put in to words how sad I feel for you both.

Ike
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Ike,

I am so so sorry to hear about this.

What a heart break. Can not really put in to words how sad I feel for you both.

Thank you Robert, I am sorry to keep posting negative poor ol me post. It is getting old quick and frankly I am getting worried. It sucks I can't get hired for being too old and disabled. What also sucks is I only disabled to a point. I can work some, but after a couple days I need to rest my back. With my sign shop I take too many pain pills to keep going. Don't have to worry about it anymore! I am going to try to keep it going from home, but the fairs are done.

It is pretty sad when the wife is the bread winner! She interviewed for a job yesterday, but she knows it isn't going to happen. They ended the interview encouraging her to keep applying for other jobs! So we don't know it is either bankrupt or start selling what we own?

Sorry again for the sad post I will stop lol I said I will stop posting them before! I will now for sure.......I hope?

Rick

lynnfrwd
02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Ike:

I went to a vineyard in the Texas Hill Country last weekend (yes, we have several here) and saw the measly selection of gifts that they had to offer. I thought of you and your being so close to so many wineries. Is this a market for you? There are soo many cute sayings and the pattern selection in the store is great!

Ike
02-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Ike:

I went to a vineyard in the Texas Hill Country last weekend (yes, we have several here) and saw the measly selection of gifts that they had to offer. I thought of you and your being so close to so many wineries. Is this a market for you? There are soo many cute sayings and the pattern selection in the store is great!

Lol did you think of me because of whining!!!? I am not sure about signs with sayings? Sounds like they already have a source? I do appreciate the thoughts, the problem is all our money what is left is being used to go to interviews. So I don't know what we are going to do?

Thanks again!

Rick

lynnfrwd
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Lol did you think of me because of whining!!!?
Rick

No, of course not! Because of where you are!!

Ike
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
No, of course not! Because of where you are!!

Lol I was just teasing I need to laugh keeps me from crying! I thought it was cleaver whine.....wine!!!

Ps: I know who wrote the post and it was a stupid joke. Don't worry you won't be seeing anymore post. Thanks for coming to my defense!

cestout
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I kind of agree with Connie. Wine bottle stoppers are quick and cheep to make. A couple of 3 x 3 chunks of wood glued end to end - the cut offs from the extra 7" - in a sled, wine bottle racks, stuff like that. Minimum wood cost for little things. You have been doing signs but other stuff might sell better in wineries. I don't know your experience level in that kind of woodworking, but I and others here will help you with designs and methods.
Clint

Ike
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks Clint I have about 36 years of wood working experience. I have a shop full of tools lol guess that don't mean anything! I have built furniture and refinished several items. Yes I have been making sign for, well during that 36 years! Plus I don't have 7" cut off, I don't use a sled for my signs nor do I use the rollers! It is a waste of material and I use old growth redwood. I don't know why, but items like that don't seem to sell very well in California. At least I have not found a market. I see you are from Ca. and may know of some market? I live close to many wineries Amador Co. Eldorado Co. of course Napa, Sonoma.

Isn't the wine stoppers made with the rotary jig? I have a bunch of redwood lumber, but very little of anything else. Like I said right now I can't do anything until my wife finds a job. Next week I am going to cancel my credit card service and that is only $20.00 a month. I wanted to promote my web site through Google Adword, again no money.

I appreciate all the help, but for now every penny is counted for!

Ike

lynnfrwd
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I kind of agree with Connie. Wine bottle stoppers are quick and cheep to make. A couple of 3 x 3 chunks of wood glued end to end - the cut offs from the extra 7" - in a sled, wine bottle racks, stuff like that. Minimum wood cost for little things. You have been doing signs but other stuff might sell better in wineries. I don't know your experience level in that kind of woodworking, but I and others here will help you with designs and methods.
Clint

Also, if you could use the winery's logo...that is even better. Do one or two samples with a generic logo, take them around to different wineries and see if you can't get an order or commitment for X # of items. Travel cost too much? Send them a photo via email.

rcdages
02-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Ike,

I would agree with cestout, that might be the way to go, look to some other thinks to carve.

I know signs have been the big part of your carving life, yet there might just be something else to hit on.

Just my two cents.

I know were you are coming from, over the years I have had my times with business that I had to deal with such as you are. Not a comforable place in life. When it seems as all the walls are moving in on you and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. There is light it is just not seen yet.

Ike
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Ike,

I would agree with cestout, that might be the way to go, look to some other thinks to carve.

I know signs have been the big part of your carving life, yet there might just be something else to hit on.

Just my two cents.

I know were you are coming from, over the years I have had my times with business that I had to deal with such as you are. Not a comforable place in life. When it seems as all the walls are moving in on you and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. There is light it is just not seen yet.

It is not trying something else, it not having the money to try! This includes using more electricity. Sorry that is how bad it is right now. On a lighter note here are some photos of woodworking I have done in the past.

Ike

rcdages
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Nice workmanship Ike.

I am at a loss to say anything else.

You have my very best wishes and prays.

Ike
02-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Nice workmanship Ike.

I am at a loss to say anything else.

You have my very best wishes and prays.

I appreciate it Robert here is more picture of the outdoor furniture this one is a rocker.

Ike

Ducky63
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Ike
Well I've been reading about your problem & sorry to hear that you didn't get that job. I also know what it is to find a job when you are disabled or partially disabled because I'm disabled in my right arm. I had rot cuff surgery on July 6, 2006 when I was in recovery room the Doctor told my wife & I that it was worse than what he thought it was & he had to put a piece of tissue in there. So when I got all healed up I was given my limitations on my right arm. I can only lift 20-30 lbs. the rest of my life & if I mess it up I have to live with it because I can't have anymore surgerys on it. So I can't get a job because the places want me to lift 50 lbs. & I can't. Social Security won't let me have disablity so I only collect regular Social Security. Will keep you in our prays.

Ike
02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Ike
Well I've been reading about your problem & sorry to hear that you didn't get that job. I also know what it is to find a job when you are disabled or partially disabled because I'm disabled in my right arm. I had rot cuff surgery on July 6, 2006 when I was in recovery room the Doctor told my wife & I that it was worse than what he thought it was & he had to put a piece of tissue in there. So when I got all healed up I was given my limitations on my right arm. I can only lift 20-30 lbs. the rest of my life & if I mess it up I have to live with it because I can't have anymore surgerys on it. So I can't get a job because the places want me to lift 50 lbs. & I can't. Social Security won't let me have disablity so I only collect regular Social Security. Will keep you in our prays.

It is very frustrating to look at me you would think there is nothing wrong with me. I walk fine, but I also take a lot of pain pills! I helped a friend with his rental house. I was installing new base and window sills and after 3 days I could barely walk. I have tried applying for several jobs, but of course never told why I didn't get the job. My wife has applied for several jobs mostly to get back on with the State of Ca. The problem is the State is broke and many are being laid off and our offered jobs else where in the State. So a person with 3 months on the job will get a job before my wife who has over 10 years of experience. Why because she quit to do the soda business. She has also interviewed for several Lassen County accounting positions. But being 47 and not a size 4 is against her!

She interviewed last Thursday for a Office Tech at the Dept. of Justice. It is a State job, but in Sacramento and we will need to move. My parents live near Sac so that won't be too bad. I just don't want to move back to the city, all that traffic etc. She has another interview next Tuesday at DOJ again. My oldest son worked at DOJ and told the supervisor about his Mom and she was excited. Lol the thing is we don't get excited until she signs the paper to work. You would think we had the retirement job after they paid to send us to Portland, pay for a rental car and the interview went great to hear nothing. UGH that irks me every time I think about it!

She also applied for a court clerk in Downieville Ca in Sierra County in the middle of nowhere! Cindy likes the town, I look for houses and they are far and in between! So it must be a desired place to live?

Ducky thank you for your prayers and I hope the best for you and your family.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Good Luck Buddy, WE are all Plugging for YOU.... Your a Survivor !!!!!

AL

Ike
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Good Luck Buddy, WE are all Plugging for YOU.... Your a Survivor !!!!!

AL

Thanks Al, we are trying! But in case you see me under the bridge with my shopping cart buy me a hamburger!

jaroot
02-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Really hope something turns up for you soon.

Ike
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I appreciate it jaroot!

CNC Carver
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Hope things are still going OK. We are still praying you'll get an opportunity to make some good $$ soon.

Ike
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Hope things are still going OK. We are still praying you'll get an opportunity to make some good $$ soon.

Thank you my friend we are still plugging along!