PDA

View Full Version : Cw wouldn't carve simple mpc

chkorte
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Today I loaded this mpc to carve. I formatted the card before uploading the mpc. The board I was going to carve is only ½” thick but I have it on a carrier board. When I tried to carve the project the CW measured the board and asked the standard questions then said load the 1/16” carving bit which I did. Then it went to home, touched the bit plate, then finding surface and then it measured the board thickness and I promptly got a Z-axis stall because the board is 8” narrower than the carrier board so instead of touching the sliding plate it hits the carrier board. First of all why is it bothering to check the board thickness on such a simple carve and if I can’t get around it how do I get the CW to measure out to the sliding plate?

fwharris
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
It is measuring the thickness because your design board is 1/2" and it sees a board thicker than your design board.

Is your carrier board the same size or lager than your design/carve board?

Do you have side rails on the carrier and are there any voids between the side rails and project board?

AskBud
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
It also sounds as if you may have answered "carve the board" rather than "carve the project".
AskBud

bergerud
01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Good question chkorte. I have been carving 2" thick boards and it still tries to touch the sliding plate. Whats with that? It should know it cannot possibly find the plate if the project board thickness is 2". That programming should be changed. I can understand if there are cut throughs or piercings that the bottom of the board should be found. I cannot understand why it checks sometimes and other times it does not. I wish I knew the rules. Does the new update always check for the sliding plate? Maybe it has to do with the depth of carve? (An answer from the firmware lord would be appreciated.)

chkorte
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
It is measuring the thickness because your design board is 1/2" and it sees a board thicker than your design board.

Is your carrier board the same size or lager than your design/carve board?

Do you have side rails on the carrier and are there any voids between the side rails and project board?

The project is designed for a 3/4" board not 1/2".
The carrier board is 28" X 14" X 7/8", flat with two channels for clamp boards.
The project board is 8" X 6.5" X 1/2" and is lined up in the center of the carrier board flush to the key pad edge with a 3" clamp board tight on each end of the project board.

chkorte
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Today I loaded this mpc to carve. I formatted the card before uploading the mpc. The board I was going to carve is only ½” thick but I have it on a carrier board. When I tried to carve the project the CW measured the board and asked the standard questions then said load the 1/16” carving bit which I did. Then it went to home, touched the bit plate, then finding surface and then it measured the board thickness and I promptly got a Z-axis stall because the board is 8” narrower than the carrier board so instead of touching the sliding plate it hits the carrier board. First of all why is it bothering to check the board thickness on such a simple carve and if I can’t get around it how do I get the CW to measure out to the sliding plate?

Another thing that makes it more puzzling is that 2 days ago I carved a project, using the same carrier board, that did a carve thru (SLIGHTLY INTO THE CARRIER BOARD) and it carved fine and never tried to find the thickness of the board.

lawrence
01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
hopefully those guys have solved the problem-- but I will say one thing "I recognize that pattern!" If you could, could you please post pics when you carve it?

Good luck, and hopefully things work out - If I remember correctly mine was a quite thick board -

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/P10903231024x768.jpg

lawrence

chkorte
02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Well, I redid the mpc and set the board thickness to 1.5" (carrier board + project board) and it carved fine.

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't get out much.... Meaning I don't do things like the Project of the Month and the likes.... But I do believe that the Only time that the machine touches the sliding plate is when you want to do a Cut Out. Correct me if I am wrong....

But I don't do many extra thick carvings either.... So it is possible I am missing something... I am also still running 1.177

I got a FATAL ERROR 2 the other day a few times in a row... Was confused... But as it turned out.... a Place on END Sign that was 32 inches long in Designer and my board was 34 inches long.... Not Stay under Rollers...

When the machine found that a 32 inch designer project and a 34 inch board.... I got the FATAL ERROR 2... Started a few times... Changed the board with a longer one and all was well.... With the Shorter Board the Rubber Roller Switch was un compressed... That is all that I could see....

AL