PDA

View Full Version : Silo 3 Sale ending Feb. 1 Does anyone recommend this?

Shockur
01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Just saw an add for Silo 3d ending tomorrow (Feb 1). $50 off. new price $109.
Does anyone have experience on this product? Should I buy this? Can I create a pattern in this software and seamlessly integrate it into the Carvewright Designer.? I am good at computer stuff, however, I am very weak on Design Software. I've had the Carvewright for little over a year and barely scratched the surface of my ideas that I'd like to design/carve.
I find the Carvewright software painful to work with sometimes. My wife, who works in the Graphic design field has looked at the program and confirms to me that it could use a serious improvement. So I am hoping to find an affordable alternative software to create the images that I have in my head and then bring them into Carvewright Designer to upload to the machine.

sk8nmike
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
If you can export a STL file or a Grey Scale height map you can import it into the Designer. Any other format and you will need another program.

I've finally came to the realization that you really need a CAM program to create models. Remember you're making 2.5D models, not 3D

eelamb
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
I use Silo for a lot of the work I do. I also have ZB and MoI3d. Silo is a true 3d software, and considered one of the easiest to learn. But let me say, it is quad modeling, and no quad modeling is easy. There is a large learning curve for any 3d software.
Now for the bad part, Silo has little or no support, their forum is almost non existent. The people on the forum give snap answers, not like here that will explain how to do something.
Ok Silo is a good program but unstable, save your work a lot and buy the one and only book. Then learn how to use it, and by the time you have learned quad modeling, you will be ready to toss Silo aside and move on to something like Lightwave, or Modo, and if you can swing it aspire. Now if you want to do modeling such as a cad program does then get moI3d or Rhino.

If all you want to do is 2.5d modeling then save up your money and get aspire.

The price you are quoting is for the pro version, which is normally 149, the basic version is only 99. Pro version gives you some features you may never use. Like paint displacement, and better UV mapping. (prices may have changed since I last looked)

Ok one last peice of information, the STL format from Silo is not compatiable with the STL importer for designer. You woul dhave to have meshlab (free) to convert the OBJ format to STL. Silo POV format is useless, and their sib format can only be read by Silo.

jpaluck
01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Good answer Eddie,

Not trying to discourage you at all but if your having trouble with designer..silo will most likeley throw you for a loop. My suggestion would be to give Blender a shot...it is an awsome program and they have redone their UI...best part it's free..just google blender

sk8nmike
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree, Blender is a good (and FREE) program to start you out with making patterns. But as Eddie pointed out Aspire is well worth the investment. I have it, was using it to make patterns for my Carvewright and I've now that I've added a seconded machine to the shop all the models I created I can send to my new CNC without a lot of trouble.

www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)

FYI all of the .crv patterns on their site and forum can be converted to a Carvewright pattern..

CNC Carver
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM
How do you convert the .crv to carvewright pattern? Do you need the STL loader?

sk8nmike
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Either export it as and STL or as a Gery scale bmp. I think STL files are better..