PDA

View Full Version : First Project - 7 hrs run time

BobC33
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
This is my 3rd project since I got my Compucarve on Fri 19th and have made about 4 carvings already. Still trying to fine tune my pictures so they carve with better relief. I have enclosed a pic of my third try. I love this machine and have had no problems of any kind so far. Now I just need to get all the extra bits so I can dress up the board. Also does anyone of you master woodworkers out there have any tips as to how to make this carving look much better. Any hints or suggestions would be highly appreciated since I want to carve more and more ..don't need to sleep much anymore now that I have something that will keep me occupied and off the computer alot more.

BobHill
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Nicely done, and very cute grandaughters too. I'm hoping that my daughter will soon be working on producing me some of those <g>.

Bob

tim1216
01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey Bob

First off very nice work. The only way to get really high quality pictures is to start by editing your photos before you scan them. You can use a lot of diffrent photo shop programs to acheive this. You need to just keep playing with them for awhile till you get something that you like. Its all abought trile a error. I hope this helps somewhat, again very nice work.

dcozort
01-23-2007, 07:05 AM
bob very nice did you do all your work in designer.... What where your steps .... did you inport directly in designer from a saved photo.... curious!!! Dennis

Malfunction
01-23-2007, 07:46 AM
is that poplar?

call me a newb, but the carvings don't need any touching up imo. nice work.

BobC33
01-23-2007, 08:05 AM
I did my touch-up work on the photos in Photoshop, removing all the extras out of the picture leaving only the faces that I wanted. Then I played around with the greyscale and color lighting them up until it looked raised enough in designer to suit my needs. I am still playing around with the photos to fine tune them more cause they are not quite to my satisfaction. And the wood I used is spruce from Lowes...I should have used pine so all the wood was one color. but this is my third practice piece....lots more before I try it on the more expensive and hard woods. Still learning all this machine can do but I really like it and have had no problems YET! Hope it stays that way.....I guess the Chinese guy that put mine together was in a good mood and had all his breaks otherwise I probably would have had my share of problems by now....