PDA

View Full Version : It's carved, but what is it?

mathman
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Fresh out of the machine:

Board dimensions are 3/4" thick, 7.5" wide, 47" long to give you an idea of scale.

The project will also use the six cutouts from:

That board is 3/4" thick, 4" wide, 23" long.

Just curious if anyone can guess what it's going to be when completed. :mrgreen:

David

SteveEJ
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Simple! One of those thangamagigs! It's used for doing datkindastuff!

Actually, I think it is a really long light switch cover and those dohickies on the second board are switch extensions for it. :roll:

Ike
01-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Okay I will guess a CD holder?

Ike

dbfletcher
01-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Prettiest firewood in Arkansas?

mathman
01-28-2012, 10:54 PM
That's the second time this week that someone thought I was creating firewood. :)

After cutting the 47" board down to 40" (the 43" was an error), ripping the top half to 4" wide, flipping the bottom and ripping to 3.25", and assembling:

I'll get this mounted on the wall in my shop soon - finally got tired of the pipe clamps getting in my way and decided it was time to make a rack for them and other clamps I have. And it gave me something to play with on the CarveWright. I added the different rosettes on the supports so I could keep track of which end was 'up'. The mpc's are included if anyone is interested in them:

50842 50843

If assembly isn't clear let me know and I can elaborate.

David

SteveEJ
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
See. I told ya. a Pipe thingamagig. I have one of them in my shop too but not so fancy! :rolleyes:

Nice! I really do have one but could not figure it out. I didn't have the ripping equated in.

Shacky
01-29-2012, 08:40 AM
That's the second time this week that someone thought I was creating firewood. :)

I've carved plenty of firewood.

Capt Bruce
01-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Nicely done David,

I have a similar one hanging on the door of my shop and I still did not recognize where your parts were leading us. I was dividing it with cross cuts and thinking walls of a church given the arched window shapes. Thanks for the brain teaser. You may have started a new section here on the Forum given all the creative minds that come together daily and we do like to mess with each other occasionally. Thanks for sharing.

mathman
01-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Knowing the cut lines would've helped - but I figured that would've given it away. ;) It's designed so that it can be mounted spanning three studs, assuming 16" on center, although the pre-drilled holes for mounting probably need to be drilled out for a bigger screw/bolt. The six holes across the top aren't drilled through as the machine complained about those - haven't got used to the 'top' of the design ending up against the brass wheel or I would've flipped it when I was designing it so the machine would've been happy drilling them through.

And while I'm on storage patterns, I also have a pattern for a wall mount 10" saw blade storage:

5-blade: 50871
6-blade: 50872

The 5-blade version can be done with a 24" board as it's 23" tall. The 6-blade is 26" tall. Cut two of the same pattern and attach them to a 6" wide back using #8 1-1/2" screws. I ripped the sides to just under 5" wide after carving, just far enough to get past the rounded part of the slot. It did carve fine with "don't keep board under rollers" setting - at least the 5-blade version did. The screw holes aren't drilled through in order to keep the machine from complaining.

David

b.sumner47
01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. Neat Shop - Ssfe Shop.

Capt Barry

cestout
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I was going to asay some kind of reed musical instrament, but your thingamajig is much more useful.
Thanks for sharing
Clint

mathman
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, went to hang the clamp rack today and discovered my dad decided to play games with me. Everything I've ever seen him build had studs 16" on center. So of course he had to go 24" on center for his shop. :confused: He's been gone almost eight years and I'm still finding little surprises like that. Needless to say, my careful planning for 16" went out the window. Anyway, between the clamp rack and the peg board dad had hung when he built the shop 30+ years ago, it all ended up like:

Just ignore the engine at the bottom of the picture....

David

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Very NICE !!!!!

AL