PDA

View Full Version : carvewright version C any reviews

scoobie_6
01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone, i bought a carvewright about two years ago and had alot of problems with it,and ended up sending it back, but it also got me hooked and i love what it can do. i am now debating on getting the new improved machine (C version) but i have not seen alot of reviews from the carvewight community. can anyone give me their thoughts and reviews for the new one.. thanks for your imput..

gregsolano
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I bought a used C machine over a year ago and I love it. I have had one flex shaft go out early on but since then I have been meticulous about lubing and caring for it. In the first week or two I broke a couple of bits but I learned how to set cutting depths properly and built a easy to make sled or jig depending on what you want to call it. Once I learned the quirks of using the machine I have had no problems. I have almost 300 hours on the machine and at 250 hours I replaced the motor brushes and the Y gear bearings as recommended by the gurus on this forum and that was easy and the machine continues humming along. I make from a few hundred to $500-$600 a month off my machine part time with crafts, clocks, signs, plaques etc. I could make more but do not push it like I should, I do have my own Remodel and handyman business which is my main income. If you buy make sure and read all the tips and tricks and read through as much of this forum as you can. See if there is a start U member in your area and hook up with them. They will help you get off the ground and in return for their help buy the machine from them. They get a small commission and you get someone to help you through the learning curves. The cost of buying from a start u member or direct is exactly the same, but you will have a local rep to call on. I am the start u member from New Mexico, located in Santa Fe.

chief2007
01-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I bought a C machine this past Oct, and will recommend you definitely upgrade to the heavy duty traction belts if you are going to make the purchase. I got my machine prior to the Anniversary Special - mine came with 12/200 warranty and the heavy duty belts - what a difference the belts make.

As with every machine - I have had a couple of problems, one that sticks out is the flex shaft getting hot. I watch is closely mine after my buddy went through 4 shafts. After 4 or 5 carvings and it running hot - I pulled it and lubed it - no problems since.
Also had to replace the Y timing belt and belt tensioner, but I believe that was just an assembly problem at the factory. Overall - I give it a 2 thumbs up.

BBrooks
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I have a B and now a C with the HD belts. no complaints on either. I will say that maintenance, maintenance, maintenance
is key to these machines. If you take the time to care for them they will repay with great enjoyment.
cheers,

scoobie_6
01-31-2012, 06:38 AM
i am getting the new c version feb 7 can't wait

jackssib1
09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
got mine yesterday, used it 1 time, already it tells me to clean board sensor. lol oh well.

lynnfrwd
09-06-2012, 08:12 PM
What color is the material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Jack, I'm sure this is going to be a minor blip - I get an error at the beginning of many of my carves and it usually takes about 20 seconds of troubleshooting to get up and running.

Can you describe what you are carving (type of wood, is is on a sled, etc?) I have gotten funny readings when I try to carve dark wood in a dark environment... turning on a light or opening the garage door seems to help (though this could just be me as I'm not sure how the sensor reads things). Also, putting light colored masking tape on the area that is read by the lcd seems to help too.

Have a little patience (again) and we'll have you carving Marine.

Lawrence

jackssib1
09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks all, But now I get no reading on board sensor test. I cleaned it but still only got up to 2. I had a bad sensor on old B carver I have and it was not sealed. This one looks sealed but may have some sealant inside, looks white. fogy.
Only used it 2 times. I was told the bugs was out, but? hummmmm?
SEMPER FI

fwharris
09-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Jack,

Is your reading with the head cranked down to the board? Slide a piece of white paper under the sensor and see what the reading is..

jackssib1
09-08-2012, 10:28 AM
55856I get 2 with paper. cleaned with q-tip. vac it out.
Sopport want E-mail me back. I'll look at it more, but a new carver should work a while. Thats why I got it, have an old one needs work on it and I have carvings to do this year. Oh Well.
SEMPER FI
jack

fwharris
09-08-2012, 10:36 AM
LHR does not work on weekends any more so you probably will not get any reply until Monday. Your best bet is to give them a phone call as sometimes the email response is a bit slow.

The 2 reading does not sound good at all.

jackssib1
09-08-2012, 12:44 PM
558795585455855i removed the sensor and cleaned, but only can get 33 on reading. looks as the sealant got on the lens.
jack, thanks, now I'm only getting 2 reading.

jackssib1
09-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Sent Pix. to LHR , now I sent more. I need to be doing my orders. People waiting.
thanks
jack

mtylerfl
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Sent Pix. to LHR , now I sent more. I need to be doing my orders. People waiting.
thanks
jack

Did you order a new board sensor yet? Might want to get the order in before they close for the weekend.

jackssib1
09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
hope the warranty is good, just got carver last week.
thanks
Jack

mtylerfl
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
hope the warranty is good, just got carver last week.
thanks
Jack

Well, I didn't know this was a new machine...by all means call LHR and let them take care of this for you so you can "get back in the game" ASAP.

jackssib1
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, I didn't know this was a new machine...by all means call LHR and let them take care of this for you so you can "get back in the game" ASAP.

Thanks Michael, I will be carving soon. As soon as I get the orders out I'm working on. I'll send my old machine for an over haul,,lol
Thanks again
Semper fi.

mtylerfl
09-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Michael, I will be carving soon. As soon as I get the orders out I'm working on. I'll send my old machine for an over haul,,lol
Thanks again
Semper fi.

It's great to have you back!

Lazlo
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought a first gen carvewright in 2008. There were a number of issues with the machine in the first couple of weeks with tech support sending one component that "might" fix the issue (at my cost). Then, when that didn't work, sent the other part that might be the problem. It worked for two days, then the Z axis mechanism stopped and broke the bit while carving. I sent the whole thing back to Amazon for a refund.

THEN, in August this year, bought the version C with high hopes. What a mistake.

11/27/2012
Had a dozen or so hours on the new unit and the board sensor quit working. Practically disassembled the unit with tech support on the line; the determination was that it probably is the controller unit. Joy.

12/05/2012
Sent the controller in a week ago and when contacted TS, all I got was that "there are several controllers ahead of you, we'll call you when we get to it."

Sigh. Wonderful unit...when it works. IF it works.

Friday 12/14/2012...
nothing from tech support about my unit. sigh.

-----------------

Wednesday 01/02/2013
called tech support two weeks ago (12/18/2012), was told the controller checked out fine. they originally wanted credit card info to charge me to send the unit back. WTF? sent it in at the behest of their tech, it's not broke, apparently, covered under warranty and I've got to pay shipping. NOT. after talking to customer service, was told no charge to return my controller and that tech support would be sending the (warranty-covered) board sensor.

sigh. still no controller, no board sensor...therefore no working unit. Merry freaking Xmas. there went all my gifts. arrgggghhhhhh.

Keep you posted.

jaroot
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the registration code on the "C" model?

lynnfrwd
12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Jaroot. Are u talking about the unlock code?

jaroot
12-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Connie.

I just seen your response. I've been building a new house so I don't get on here as often as I should.

Yes I am talking about the unlock code. Just what is the purpose of it.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Jim

lynnfrwd
12-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Theft prevention, I think.

lynnfrwd
12-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Kind of an oops too late. Thieves aren't gonna look at it and say hmmm I won't take that. I don't have the unlock code.

jaroot
12-25-2012, 01:34 PM
So you have to enter the code each time you use it?

These things get stolen a lot?

Digitalwoodshop
12-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I believe the Unlock code is just for the first time and it ensures that LHR gets it registered to the first owner. When I was fixing Play Station 2's at Sony a bunch in the Chicago Area came in for service. We knew they were a batch that were thrown from a Train.... A "American Greed" TV Show about a Rail Savvy Gang got internal access to Cargo Lists and hopped slow moving trains miles from the drop site. SUV's at the ready, off they went... Sony had talked about a unlock code but never did one that I know. We serviced them under Warranty with no bad news for the Customer.

Sony used Picture Tube Glass from a manufacturer Techno Glass near me in Pennsylvania and shipped it to San Diego by Sony's own truck line. Return Trucks would bring broken Picture Tube Glass back to add to the Glass mixture to make stronger glass. Like a episode of Sopranos a truck "Really" got Hijacked heading away from Sony...... Imaging when they opened the Shipping Crates.... Broken GLASS..... Not the 32 inch TV's they were looking for... LOL...

AL

lynnfrwd
12-25-2012, 05:02 PM
No not each time. A few have.

peep
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I bought my machine in 2006 or 2007.
Question. The controller is dead. Which one do you recommend I do?

A) buy a new C machine and adapters to use me bits, or

B). Send in my machine and have it serviced, heavy belts, new stable carver head, and controller ?

CNC Carver
01-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Bert posted this one. He stated it was not his but looks like a good one.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/3525848686.html

peep
04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
I am about to order a new machine and just noticed that the C model has different bits. Does this mean my decorative bit set for my a model is now no good! I have not even used most of them yet. Is their a modification that can be done? Hate to have to order all new bits again.

lynnfrwd
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I am about to order a new machine and just noticed that the C model has different bits. Does this mean my decorative bit set for my a model is now no good! I have not even used most of them yet. Is their a modification that can be done? Hate to have to order all new bits again.

You don't need to order new decorative bits. They need the 1/4" split collet, 1/4" rubber stop collars & 1/2" rubber stop collars and they can by retro-fitted by you. See April 2010 Tips & Tricks under SUPPORT at www.carvewright.com.

lawrence
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
You can buy a split collet adapter to make your 1/4 inch bits able to be used in your CW.
http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=294

The stop collars will help you maintain length if you so choose...

the 1/2 inch bits will work fine without any adapters

In all cases, you just remove the quick change chuck adapters from the bit shanks.

Lawrence

peep
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys, that really helps, will spend the money on software now.

Any idea what is in the VA3D Starter Collection and the Dasch's Sign Makers Collection?

Also if I join the Project of the Month club, does it include some of the past projects? not being greedy, just liked some of them.

lynnfrwd
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Go to www.carvewright.com > Product Store > PatternDepot > Collections and find those two. Click on the title and you will see all of the patterns in that collection.

Project of the Month is ONLY for new projects developed each month just prior to their release.

peep
04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
C machine carving time.

On my A model, I kept having to open the led on carves lasting long so the thing can cool down. Does the C model continue to carve for long carves over several hours?

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
For long carves you must worry about heat in the Flex Shaft... so Petting the Flex is important and if you find a increase in temp know you need to keep a closer eye on the flex...

As for the Motor... If you are doing long carves, then I would get in a habit of opening the Cut Motor at the 250 Hour Brush Change and blow out the sawdust. Good Air Flow is important...

SMOKE ALARM... Everyone should have a Battery Smoke Alarm above the machine....

And opening the bottom of the machine and blowing out the dust around the computer, power supply and X Termination Board. Be sure to have a Card installed in the computer to keep chips from getting caught in the pins for the card.

I don't know of any changes to the "C" that would make it much different than a "A" as far as heat...

And a Good Dust Collection.... That is Important...

AL

Proctorw
04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I have a new machine, probably about 5 weeks old. I love it. I had some depth problems, which were well documented and resolved by LHR. They were great. The first 4 carves made me think I had bought a mechanical nightmare of a machine. I had to disassemble the board sensor each time and blow it out. Then I bought the 3rd party dust collection unit, Dust Devil. No problems since then with the board sensor. I highly recommend getting the Dust Devil, well worth the money.

peep
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
peep <-------------Just bought a new C model with all the bells and whistles/software

Back in the game

fwharris
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
peep <-------------Just bought a new C model with all the bells and whistles/software

Back in the game

Peep,

Congrats! :D ;)

chebytrk
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Congrats Peep!