PDA

View Full Version : Question about trim

pete2000
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can answer question for me. I'm currently adding built-ins to my home and wanted to use some custom trim. The trim would have a celtic style weave pattern. It's a relatively simple design but not the type of thing carried at the local hardware store. There are companies that advertise on the internet that can do this but they charge 8 or 9 bucks a linear foot, not including the wood. Any thoughts on whether the carvewright would be able to carve about twenty 5" x 10' pieces. If the answer is 'yes' it seems to me that the machine would pretty much pay for itself. Plus I'd have a little more flexibility in the design and get to do some other cool projects in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Dan-Woodman
01-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Peter
You can not only carve patterns, make your own trim , but with the optional scanner you can duplicate that trim you want exactly.

dcozort
01-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I to an trying to do a lot of trim for my counter tops .... I will try to attach a copy of one I'm doing see what you think... I make mine a little bigger and trim on table saw......

dcozort
01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Paul I thought of doing this as a door for my cabinets... when I glue up panel I will alternate wood in order to minimize warpage...Any comments.. Thanks Dennis

pkunk
01-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Paul I thought of doing this as a door for my cabinets... when I glue up panel I will alternate wood in order to minimize warpage...Any comments.. Thanks Dennis
Dennis, I think it's real pretty but at a carving time of 4 1/2 hrs for a 12" wide door & a 14 1/2" maximum you're too limited in cabinet size. It's a rare cabinet that small.

dcozort
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Paul.... Time is not really an issue when creating a masterpiece..... besides I have a ton of it... As far as the size goes I don't follow you these doors are going on 36" wide by 42" tall cabinets ..... The upper's will have glass doors of 12" tall.... and around 13 " wide.... the side rails are not your standard 1 1/2 wide but custom 3" wide reverse flute... with a rail in the middle as well 2 doors inset at 13 3/8 " fits perfect... I will try to attach a photo see what you think... Remember these are not a production run type cabinet where time is money as well as wood... I dry my own and dress it myself