PDA

View Full Version : Here is what $3,000 can get you

Pratyeka
01-27-2012, 08:08 AM
We have a similar machine at work, minus the 4th axis. Very solid and accurate.
http://salecnc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=97

lynnfrwd
01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
You also have to add to that:

$250 - spindle
$400 - gantry & z travel
$700 - rotary
$450 - dust collection
$350 - water spray

and $????? for software to run it.

Just sayin.....

chevytrucking
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Isn't this spam? I think a moderator should delete posts like these, this is a Carvewright forum, we come here because we're using CW. We all know there are other machines out there, as well as other cnc forums.

dbfletcher
01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I disagree. I see nothing wrong with occasional threads discussing other products. A lot of the time it leads to "ok.. so how do we do THAT on a cw".. and after some brain storming most times the cw community has a viable solution.

SteveEJ
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I agree with Doug. CW Marketing can use the pluses of price differences to their advantage, as Lynn already has. We can also use our experiences with those machines (I have a larger CNC and a manual mill) to help with how things can be done better or more efficiently on the CW with Vectors, etc. The other machines limitations and capabilities have driven LHR to better options in their software as well, ie: STL and DXF importers.

chevytrucking
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I guess where I'm coming from is that we are inundated with junk mail, junk email, spam, advertising, etc. on an hourly basis in our lives. Before buying a CW system, I looked at all the other guys stuff, read cnc forums, etc. I still look at other forums sometimes because I'm thinking about building a cnc plasma table. But, I like having a CW only place to read and be inspired by other CW users so I can apply it to the equipment I own. If a post was from an individual that used CW and had another system that he was comparing capablities or features, that's interesting. But someone just popping in with a web link to another company is just spam to me.

lynnfrwd
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Isn't this spam? I think a moderator should delete posts like these, this is a Carvewright forum, we come here because we're using CW. We all know there are other machines out there, as well as other cnc forums.

Pratyeka is a contributing member of this forum. Had it been someone new with 1 post, I would have deleted it as spam.

Lynn

Pratyeka
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
You also have to add to that:

$250 - spindle
$400 - gantry & z travel
$700 - rotary
$450 - dust collection
$350 - water spray

and $????? for software to run it.

Just sayin.....

Hum, those are upgrades. The machine comes complete and ready to go, except for dust collection and 4th axis (extra). They ship a couple of software to design stuff, mine came with Ucancam and Artcam ver.8
The control is a hand-held DSP controller, and you transfer the program via USB memory stick.

I realise this is not relevant directly to CW, but sometime it's informative to see what other carving machines are out there in the same price range.

Correction: this seller uses a PC card to control the machine. The one I use at work is for RedSail and use a DSP controller.

LittleRedWoodshop
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Thank you http://forum.carvewright.com/image.php?u=5876&dateline=1233494048 (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?5876-Pratyeka) Pratyeka (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?5876-Pratyeka) ... I for one enjoy seeing what other companies are doing and what it costs to be able to do what my CW machine does for less.

jaroot
01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree, Pratyeka is hardly a spammer and I also enjoy the occasional "Chevy/Ford" debate. I too looked at all of the alternatives before buying the CW but new stuff comes along all the time. And if I see a topic on the forum that I'm not interested in I just don't look at it.

cestout
01-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Looks to me like the 4th access thingy won't do anything more than the CW, and does it use stepper motors or servo. I was stationed across from something similar at the LA Wood Working Show, and because of the prices and what the CW can do, it was an advantage to me. I could do just about anything he could but cheaper and easier. And a much smaller footprint!
Clint

Pratyeka
01-27-2012, 08:36 PM
well, i wasn't making a comparison with the CW, orange and apple kind of thing. The CW can't carve more than 14" wide or .8" deep. And forget about machining brass or aluminium.
I was just making a point that these industrial machines are getting cheaper. So for those who want to carve 2' X 4' X 4" thick or more, then those are available at a 1/4 the price of similar european or american made machines.

Ike
01-27-2012, 09:57 PM
well, i wasn't making a comparison with the CW, orange and apple kind of thing. The CW can't carve more than 14" wide or .8" deep. And forget about machining brass or aluminium.
I was just making a point that these industrial machines are getting cheaper. So for those who want to carve 2' X 4' X 4" thick or more, then those are available at a 1/4 the price of similar european or american made machines.

I understood my friend! I have seen other woodworking tools other then CW's and CW accessories trying to be sold in the "Buy-Sell-Trade! Lol like many owners I own a different brand CNC other then CW! I have a K2 I have not used and I bought almost 3 years ago! Same story with my Shopbot bought and sold,never used it too!

Doesn't matter it is looking like my sign business is through. A couple months ago I wanted to buy another CW and now I may be selling the 2 I have? I will know for sure in the next week or so if RC Woodworks is done!

Ike

jaroot
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear that your woodworking business is not doing well. Hope it turns around for you. I guess there is an advantage of just having a hobby. I don't make any money with my CW but fortunately I don't have to.

I understood my friend! I have seen other woodworking tools other then CW's and CW accessories trying to be sold in the "Buy-Sell-Trade! Lol like many owners I own a different brand CNC other then CW! I have a K2 I have not used and I bought almost 3 years ago! Same story with my Shopbot bought and sold,never used it too!

Doesn't matter it is looking like my sign business is through. A couple months ago I wanted to buy another CW and now I may be selling the 2 I have? I will know for sure in the next week or so if RC Woodworks is done!

Ike

skeeterman
01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
If I had $3000 to spend I would probably buy a couple of Carvewrights
Steve

LittleRedWoodshop
01-28-2012, 07:42 AM
LOL Steve at the current price you could buy 3 (three) CarveWrights.

cestout
01-28-2012, 04:56 PM
For me this is a self sustaining hobby. I am a coupe hundred in the black after 4 years, including the laptop for StartU. But it is still bad here in Southern Calif. and no one has extra money to spend on nonessential; so I can't sell much. I would like to have it money making a business. It is sad to see that you are contemplating giving this up Ike. Keep one machine for a hobby.
Clint

Ike
01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
For me this is a self sustaining hobby. I am a coupe hundred in the black after 4 years, including the laptop for StartU. But it is still bad here in Southern Calif. and no one has extra money to spend on nonessential; so I can't sell much. I would like to have it money making a business. It is sad to see that you are contemplating giving this up Ike. Keep one machine for a hobby.
Clint

Thanks Clint and jaroot, but all things must come to an end! Had my own business since 1984 most of it part-time and the last 10 years somewhat full-time. Reality has set in. Still I will know for sure after next Tuesday. With the wife out of work any funds to pay for upcoming fairs will be used to survive at least a month or so! I hope I will have a shop to keep one! If not then next will be selling my woodworking tools.........................:sad:

Ike