PDA

View Full Version : Bit depth control?

KeystoneChuck
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Am I missing something; I keep reading about Max depth pass in the user manual and they even show a V carve bit for the example. I have no control over the pass depth control. It defaults on .25 and when I check the max depth box (which I don't want to do) it turns the box red. I was wanting to make multiple passes with the bit so it was easier on the machine. It even tells you to make multiple passes on hardwood or plastics. Am I missing something?

AskBud
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Am I missing something; I keep reading about Max depth pass in the user manual and they even show a V carve bit for the example. I have no control over the pass depth control. It defaults on .25 and when I check the max depth box (which I don't want to do) it turns the box red. I was wanting to make multiple passes with the bit so it was easier on the machine. It even tells you to make multiple passes on hardwood or plastics. Am I missing something?It would be easier to really solve your design problem/wish, if we could see your MPC or at least know what you are specifically trying to do.

Raster carves (which include patterns, carve regions, and raster text) will not have the Max-Pass-Depth (MPD) application.
Similarly, Centerline text will not have the MPD option.
The other vector images/lines will be afforded the MPD option. These include thing like rectangles, circles, cut paths, etc.
AskBud

fwharris
01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
When you see the "RED" box, click inside the red box and input the depth you want to use. I think red indicates it is looking for some number and there is none there until you input it.

SteveEJ
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Am I missing something; I keep reading about Max depth pass in the user manual and they even show a V carve bit for the example. I have no control over the pass depth control. It defaults on .25 and when I check the max depth box (which I don't want to do) it turns the box red. I was wanting to make multiple passes with the bit so it was easier on the machine. It even tells you to make multiple passes on hardwood or plastics. Am I missing something?

For pattern carving the depth is in the pattern and associated settings. You are speaking of V cutting or edge routing, etc. This max depth is in the dialog box that comes up on cutout or assignment of a bit to a vector. The Cut Depth and by selecting the maximum depth per pass check box and assigning a value.

To test this start a new project, draw a box or circle and assign a bit to it. The dialog box I am speaking of will come up after you select the bit asking for the depth of cut. You will see what I mean from there. Play with the software and look at all the tutorials for many more features.

Hope this helps!

KeystoneChuck
01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
When you say V carving do you mean carving with a V carve bit? I see how I can change, thanks to one of the replys on here lets say make a rectangle and assign the 60 degree bit. Is it my understanding that if I did this rectangle had in the bit selection box Depth=.25" and had the Max Pass Depth shecked and entered .125" that it would cut the rectangle out cutting only .125" at a passing making it a double pass to get the depth I am looking for (.125 Max Pass Depth x 2= .25" My Depth_ I gave this as a simplified example I not really looking to do a rectangle. If I were to make this a recessed rectangle at .25" do I have a choice to assign the depth per pass or is it automatic. I just don't want to overload the bit or machine.

For pattern carving the depth is in the pattern and associated settings. You are speaking of V cutting or edge routing, etc. This max depth is in the dialog box that comes up on cutout or assignment of a bit to a vector. The Cut Depth and by selecting the maximum depth per pass check box and assigning a value.

To test this start a new project, draw a box or circle and assign a bit to it. The dialog box I am speaking of will come up after you select the bit asking for the depth of cut. You will see what I mean from there. Play with the software and look at all the tutorials for many more features.

Hope this helps!

dbfletcher
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
It sounds like you are talking about rastering (carving). We can not control the depth of a pass when it is carving. The only thing you can really do to lower stress is use optimum mode which takes much smaller x-axis steps or make sure you design you mpc not to have any sudden z-depth plunges with out using some feather to ease the transition somewhat.

SteveEJ
01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes. V Carving is usually with a 60 or 90 degree V Bit. It can be others too.

There are two basic types of 'Carving' on the machine:

1 - Raster carve - Patterns are raster carved. They are lines cut very close to each other of varying depths. They are parallel lines and they piece together a 'Carving' that can have a very high amount of detail. Patterns are 'Raster' carves.

2 - Vector carve - Some call this V-Carving although it doesn't have to. These are lines, arcs, circles, etc. and each one has a bit assigned to it. Each bit assignment has it's own profile based on the bit assigned, depth based on the users preference and set in the software and max depth per pass.

Based on the above if you draw a rectangle a assign it a 'carve region' in the software, you now have a raster carve. The machine will automatically use the carving bit and cut full depth each pass. The total depth can be set in the software but NOT the max depth per pass like vectors.

Based on the above if you draw a rectangle and assign it a bit to cut it, you now have a rectangle where the line defining the rectangle is cut in the profile of the bit assigned and at a depth you told it to cut with each pass not exceeding the maximum set in the 'max depth per pass' setting.

I can make a mpc file showing each if you want further explanation.

Hope this helps.

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
And we all know that with the V bits doing centerline text we have no control over the depth.... Only to select BOLD....

If I drew a line around a clock as a path and assigned the V60 Bit, it would give me the bit selection window. I could then set the depth of the V60 line. If it was too deep, I believe I could select Multi Pass and do it in a few passes....

Like the red line that is the bottom of the clock circle done in a V60. Ceramic tile Inlay.

AL

SteveEJ
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Here is a sample of each.