PDA

View Full Version : Stopping carving to paint

Stormin
01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Looking for some advise on this project. I am producing some coasters and I want to carve the inner circle region, paint the recess, carve the graphic and then cut. Can this be done with one pattern or will it require a pattern with the inner circle and a pattern with the graphic and cut?

Norm

AskBud
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Looking for some advise on this project. I am producing some coasters and I want to carve the inner circle region, paint the recess, carve the graphic and then cut. Can this be done with one pattern or will it require a pattern with the inner circle and a pattern with the graphic and cut?

NormThe way you have your MPC designed the raster carves of the bronco and circle3 will both be carved in one action. they will not be two separate operations.

You may be able to make a two sided MPC, with circle3 on the back and the bronco and cut-path on the front.

You would not shut off the machine while painting, or waiting for that paint to dry. Once the paint is dry, just make sure to properly place the board for the front carve process.
AskBud

fwharris
01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Stromin,

Bud is correct in that the carving sequence/process will carve the inner circle first and the Bronco pattern if it is included in the MPC. If trying it in two seperate MPC projects, on the second one it would try to carve the full depth of the Bronco pattern and mess up what you have painted.

One possible tip to try is carve the complete MPC plus to a second one with just the cut out of the Bronco pattern sized the same as the pattern in MPC one. With the cut out, place it over the logo as a mask and paint away.

gregsolano
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I use paint pens available at hobby stores in thick to fine tips to paint things like coasters, clocks etc. I have done small Bronco coasters with good sucess but I don't have any pics of them.

dbfletcher
01-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I've been using these little foam makeup applicators from walmart with good success. The end up being like teeny tiny single use foam brushes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Applicators/14648340

Kenm810
01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Yep I know the Ones! Doug,

I really Needed something like that about 4 or 5 years ago
and "Borrowed" a couple from Barb's make-up drawer ----
I've been keeping a supply of them in my finishing kit ever since.

Stormin
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Like the clock Greg.

Norm

Ike
01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Uh just a thought why not figure where you want painted before carving? I have read this over and over, if I understand the OP wants to paint cup portion before the logo is carved? Will the carved logo be natural wood? If I am on the same page I would make a circle stencil inverted, meaning make a square the size of the coaster board. Then cut an inside circle lay it on the board and paint the inside, let dry and the carve.

I made a mpc to show what I am talking about a stencil. I suggest cardboard and if any paint goes outside the line then sand. Sorry seems so much easier then carve stop and make sure you don't turn off machine. Not to mention hoping it picks up where it left off and carves the logo in the center!

If the logo is painted after painting the area cut a circle out of contact paper big enough for the logo. Carve and with the contact paper still on slop in the color you want and remove. Make sure the area painted is completely dry before the contact paper or it may remove some paint. You still may need to touch up a spot or two? Plus leaving the paper on too long may stick, so after the final coat of paint in the logo I would let set for a few minutes and remove.

Lol now I may be so far off I am talking to myself! In that case please disregard!

Ike

PS the contact paper is not my ideal, Jason Allen posted this method. I have not tried it yet, but with a totally painted sign I will!