PDA

View Full Version : Loss of detail in copying picture to wood.

sail
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi again.

A friend of mine is taking fencing classes. He's stepped that up to fighting with broad swords and found copies of very old instructional wood cuts. He'd like me to copy the images to wood. First just as a reproduction of the image. Second as a print block which he can then ink and print on parchment just as the original was intended. and third as lithopanes.

I imported the image he emailed to me and have created an MPC. I have tried to adjust depth and height to capture detail but it only looks clear for a second as it shifts between one height/depth setting to another as I search for the best combination.

I have attached the MPC and the original. You see that there is a lot of detail and that tends to run together in smaller renderings.

ARRRG. The MPC file is 1.2 MB and I'm getting red exclamation point. It will not upload at this time. Maybe this info will help. I have tried various depth and height settings. Currently set at depth 0.265 height 200. but the image size is 9 1/4 X 6 X 5/8

My questions are:

Am I just missing a "best" setting of depth and height that might make this work ?

Is this sort of image, at this size and resolution just not possible with Carvewright ?

Would the Pattern Editor software enable me to edit out some of the hatch marks that were intended to give the original wood cut shading and depth thereby delivering a more "legible " MPC to work from ?

You guys have been VERY helpful in the past and being new at this, I have many more questions than finished product. So any advice would be appreciated.
Sail

ktjwilliams
01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
That is a very busy Pic for the size UR trying to carve... In PE U can try blending some of the details by using Blur and or erase...

sail
01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
That is a very busy Pic for the size UR trying to carve... In PE U can try blending some of the details by using Blur and or erase...

I was afraid of that. Prolly have to go larger than size capacity to capture all.. PE is the answer then.

THANKS Kt.

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
This is really a project more suited to a Laser Engraver as the Laser is good at doing this type of line work.

To do this with the CW you would need to make a raised leg and carve in the detail, every Leg, Every Hand, etc... that would be a hundred hours of work.... But I am a Poor Pattern Person.... I am better at fixing the machine...

Although, I am thinking it might make a pretty Cool back Lit Litho.....:mrgreen:

The Leather was Laser Engraved and you can see it lends well to the type of Art you have..... I also paid a pattern maker to make a ptn of my flat picture. This was a very long time ago.... 2007...

AL

sail
01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
This is really a project more suited to a Laser Engraver as the Laser is good at doing this type of line work.

To do this with the CW you would need to make a raised leg and carve in the detail, every Leg, Every Hand, etc... that would be a hundred hours of work.... But I am a Poor Pattern Person.... I am better at fixing the machine...

Although, I am thinking it might make a pretty Cool back Lit Litho.....
:mrgreen:

AL

Thanks for that thought Al. Now I have to go and buy a laser engraver. So how do I hide another tool from my wife?

Fixing the machine you say? I just found that the truck was hitting the cable to the open lid shutoff switch and stopped permitting the free movement of the truck. The swing out stop plate that tells the CW that a bit is in place was engaging enough so all my new bits have left their mark on that plate and took the sharp off the bits. I had to lift and slightly tear the fiber cover near the motor to get the wires tucked back under.

Oh well

dcalvin4
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I cut a hole in the plastic cover to leave room for the wires to bulge out
denny

sail
01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I cut a hole in the plastic cover to leave room for the wires to bulge out
denny
If I didn't have to take the cover back off to get a photo of what I had to do, I would post one. I couldn't figure out why the truck wouldn't move all the way to the end opposite the key pad. I called support and it was suggested that the travel rails were dirty. They were right. The bottom rail was dirty but the wires still interfered. Anyway, it's fixed now but I think CW should know for future design changes as well as current trouble shooting resolution.

Other wise a great machine.