PDA

View Full Version : Cut our patterns

vwcopel
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Good Morning. I have been making table top Nativity Sets with my Hegner Scrollsaw and my hands and fingers won't do what they used to do. So, I'm looking to purchase a CarveWright machine and have it do the cutouts for me and later down the line, get into the carving side. I need to know if I need the DXF program in order to convert my pattern into the Designer program and then save it to the Card for cutting out the pattern. I hope I am making myself clear. Since these programs have a large learning curve, I feel it would be a little much to learn. Therefore, I am looking for someone who could receive my patterns as an attachment to an email, doe whatever has to be done and provide it to me so I could download it o the card to cut out my project. I really don't want to buy a machine and have it sit there while I try to learn a couple software programs. It goes without saying that I would be able to pay a reasonable fee for this service. If there is a user out there that would consider my needs, I would be happy to discuss my situation.

Vernon Copeland
(PM for phone #)

dbfletcher
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
If you want to send me a few files, I'd be more than happy to convert them to you. No fee required. You can pm me for my email. Dont want to post it publically on the forum. Depending on the format of you files, we can probably use either the DXF importer (not free) or the free ai2mpc program which probably would meet your needs.

It would be helpful to know what material you currently use. For intricate cutouts, you would generally use the 1/16 cutting bit. But it is limited to 1/4" material or less. For thicker stock, the 1/8 or 3/16 inch bit can be used, but you may lose detail depending on your designs.

Alan Malmstrom
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll help also if you want. I'll send you a Private Message with my email if you would like me to see what you have to do.

Alan

dbfletcher
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Here is a screen shot of a quick trace and convert using ai2mpc just so everyone else know the kind of stuff he is looking for.

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
The trick to doing Scroll type work on the CW is all the little pieces come out and get on top of the board and get crushed into the top and act as a speed bump. A good Dust Collector like the Ringneck Blues is Outstanding to pick up the little chips and dust...

Then there is the trouble of holding the little parts to the carrier board... Spray Glue or double stick tape... When you go to remove them, sometimes the glue causes you to snap the parts... A lesson from a Former User Here that is using the Big CW up in Heaven now taught me..... Use 1/4 inch stock or that ever you want... But set the depth to keep a SKIN on the BOTTOM of the material and holding all the parts in place..... Then run the back side through a thickness sander on a carrier board to remove the skin and you have PERFECT PARTS..... He perfected it making Wooden Name Key Chains.... Remember the Key Chain FONT....

Another TRICK for you....

SO you will get the files from someone...

Assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit to the Vector Lines. This will lock the FEED RATE into 1st Gear.

Actually place a 1/16 End Mill Cut Path Bit in the Machine. That will make Smooth lines and cuts.

IF you selected the 1/16 inch end mill bit in the machine, then the cut feed rate would be in 2 speeds..... When the machine shifts to the faster 2nd gear feed rate, the bit will be forced into the wood FASTER than the small bit can cut and place side pressure on the bit and snap the bit or the Thin WOOD..... I use this procedure all the time to cut sheet stock into tags I use for my Fire Dept Safety Products.

This WILL Work.... Good Luck,

AL

Good Luck !!!!