PDA

View Full Version : Glueing boards?

jaustin
01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
For the wider carves I do I normally Use 13" wide red Oak boards.
but was wondering if I glue boards together, carved and stained it. will the glue line show?

I normally use oak since I can get it pretty cheap and mill it to the size I need.

pkunk
01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Alot depends on how well you joint the edges and what glue you use. I have good luck with Tightbond, use their dark glue on darker woods (Like oak). Some times it will show in the carve if there is a real slanted area through the glue line. Usually it's only noticeable by you, because you're looking for it and know it's there.:)

ktjwilliams
01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
U would neva stain wood before glue up, the glue should be allowed to cling to the fibers in the wood, staining would interfer with the bond... I edge plane all the boards before I carve em,, Lay em out for fit, grain and color match.. then once carved I join them together.. If ur using Titebond U can wipe up the squeeze out with a damp sponge or rag ... If ur using a urethane glue,, after it dries it's very easy to clean up with a scrapper, razor, sanding etc... Then Stain and finish ....

cestout
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
O wide board carves I usually use glue-ups, because that minimizes cupping. If you look the end grin, the rings want to flatten out over time. If you flip the glue-up pieces so the rings are in opposite directions you will have a more stable board - an early lesson from Norm. Try to match the look of the face grain so the joints are less visible, but like someone said below, you will probably be the only one to notice them.
Clint