PDA

View Full Version : Fire!

jaroot
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
I didn't know where to post this and I know it has been touched on before but just another warning. Don't leave your machine unattended!

With a combination of a not exactly sharp bit with a 1/4" deep vector I managed to catch a project on fire. A glowing smolder really. But if I hadn't been right here to observe it who knows what could have happened.

It is really amazing how well the air ducted from the cut motor over to the bit can fan the smolder into something more.

fwharris
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Jim,

Yes it was great that you were right there to stop a not so good situation from getting very bad.

Another user posted several months back about melting the machine cover and inside while doing a cut out after a long carve. Came close to loosing his garage in the process.

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Smoke Detectors..... I have a battery operated smoke detector above my machine...

When I get my Shop in order I plan to have the AC Power Smoke Detector above the machine that has relay contacts that close and tell the Alarm System of a Fire... I will wire the contacts to a small relay that when the alarm activates opens it's Normally Closed Contacts that will be wired to the Left Side cover Switch. That will stop the machine..... And I will have the machine plugged into a I Switch that turns on the dust collector when the cut motor comes on and in my case, if a fire is detected, shuts off the Cut Motor via the Cover Switch and a Relay to the Smoke Detector.... The Cut Motor Shutting Off will shut off the Dust Collector.....

I was cutting some 2 inch deep 1 x 6 slots in a 4 x 4 post about 2 months ago and the bit hit a knot deep in the cut and got so hot that burning embers blew out..... They landed on some long pine needles under my outside deck work bench and started a fire.... A Rattle Paint Can lid full of rain water on the outside table made short work of the fire.... but I had to think, if I had used a dust collector for this cut.... I would have never known embers were in my dust collector.....

I am having serious thoughts of placing my Dust Collector OUTSIDE my Shop.... And just plan to be a little "COLD" in the Winter..... As it sucks all the heat out.... OR risk with a small inside collector during the cold months...

AL

easybuilt
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Here is another good reason to have a smoke detector by your cw. Mine went off and I stopped the machine in time.
Al always has good advise and it pays to listen.

fwharris
07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Crap O La Tom! Yes very good you had a smoke detector!

chebytrk
07-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Hey Al,

I've been using my I Switch for a few years now and it works great for me. Like you mention, when the CW cut motor turns off, the I switch turns the power off to my DC. It used to leave my CW still turned on til I came back to it the next morning and that was really no big deal as long as the cut motor was off. However, I was told during the conf that I could go in to the options and set the CW to turn off after a certain time as well. Something about that it was default set to stay on (which was in my case). So I went in to options and found the setting to turn off my machine after 15mins I think. So now when I come in to check on it all is good. Another thing I did with my DC was that I took off the bag and ran a 4" hose thru my shop floor and put an elbow under it and ran it along the bottom to the side of my wood shop. It really doesn't build up sawdust out there and plus I get much better suction now and that's good since I'm running 2 machines. So.... all is good for now. :)

Smoke Detectors..... I have a battery operated smoke detector above my machine...

When I get my Shop in order I plan to have the AC Power Smoke Detector above the machine that has relay contacts that close and tell the Alarm System of a Fire... I will wire the contacts to a small relay that when the alarm activates opens it's Normally Closed Contacts that will be wired to the Left Side cover Switch. That will stop the machine..... And I will have the machine plugged into a I Switch that turns on the dust collector when the cut motor comes on and in my case, if a fire is detected, shuts off the Cut Motor via the Cover Switch and a Relay to the Smoke Detector.... The Cut Motor Shutting Off will shut off the Dust Collector.....

I was cutting some 2 inch deep 1 x 6 slots in a 4 x 4 post about 2 months ago and the bit hit a knot deep in the cut and got so hot that burning embers blew out..... They landed on some long pine needles under my outside deck work bench and started a fire.... A Rattle Paint Can lid full of rain water on the outside table made short work of the fire.... but I had to think, if I had used a dust collector for this cut.... I would have never known embers were in my dust collector.....

I am having serious thoughts of placing my Dust Collector OUTSIDE my Shop.... And just plan to be a little "COLD" in the Winter..... As it sucks all the heat out.... OR risk with a small inside collector during the cold months...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Great Ideas..... I currently blow my dust collector dust outside on the ground next to the shop too.... During Maintenance I have found the Damper Spring broken near the cut motor about 4 inches away. That could cause a metal to metal with the core heating up the metal. My CW Fire was the flex rubbing the kinked damper spring.

Good Job catching the Fire.

Good Luck,

AL

easybuilt
07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the additional ideas Al and Jerry!

rcdages
07-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Hello Jerry,

Like the 4" hose running off the DC to the out side.

I have a hose running off the vacuum bag holder out the wall of my shop, for some time now.

I am going to use your idea Jerry for the DC hose.

Thank you.

rcdages
07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
How wonderful the forum is for the sharing of ideas and general input.

How much one can learn by no more then just reading the forum.

chebytrk
07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
You're right Amigo! That's what makes the CW worth twice as much.

How wonderful the forum is for the sharing of ideas and general input.

How much one can learn by no more then just reading the forum.

bluecobra
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Just went and ordered a fire/carbon monoxide detector & fire extinguisher. Thanks for the reminder everybody!

easybuilt
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Your welcome Mark! Got my cw running today. Thank goodness for spare parts!