PDA

View Full Version : Won't verify bit in spindle

wconaway
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
When I load the bit and the spindle tracks over to the side of the machine opposite the keypad and tries to verify the bit, the small black metal arm that the bit touches to get the length does not swing out all the way. It is well lubricated. Any thoughts?

chkorte
01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Make sure that there isn't anything preventing the truck from going all the way to the end. If the wires from the cover switch are sticking up they could be interfering with the truck.

wconaway
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
It goes over far enough but the bit locator plate swings out, but not far enough and the spindle/bit goes down behind it......

gregsolano
01-22-2012, 01:54 PM
also clean and lubricate the rails and the bearings the truck moves on.

Capt Bruce
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
On one machine I helped set up, a small amount of dry lubricant on the left side of the bit plate where the truck contacts it made all the difference. The two surfaces just seemed to bind rather than slide.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I see you are a 2008 user with 5 posts, WELCOME...... The First Post mentioned the Right Side Cut Motor Cover Switch Wires and how they can block the Z Motor Cooling Fins and preventing the Bit Plate from fully Extending. They need to be tucked into the corner.... If the Wires are out of place from removing the Whole Top cover this will prevent the head from reaching the Bit Plate.... And my Second Cause is a Worn set of Bearings in the Y Motor Gear Box.... DO you hear 3 Clicks when the head is trying to get to the Bit plate? If you DO then you have a worn Gear Box... The Two 5mm x 11mm x 5mm bearings. How many Cut Motor Hours do you have? The Bearings last 250 to 450 Cut Hours.

A Frozen Y Rail Roller Bearing can cause this too... But more like a Clean Rails Error Message.

What I and may others do is place a piece of Styrofoam behind the bit plate holding it in the Extended position all the time... ONLY IF you cut a 14.5 inch wide board will there be a problem....

Good Luck,

AL

ktjwilliams
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey Al... Neva thought bout put foam back there to keep the arm out all the time... Thx... Oh sounds like the original question has been answered... So I have nuttin to ad ...