PDA

View Full Version : Vector/Raster Examples?

Hanna
01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Could someone post an example of the same image on here in vector and raster somehow so we can see what the difference looks like?

pkunk
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I've posted this before.

BobHill
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Hanna,

If one uses the same image in both vector and raster, you will see it here as the same thing. first of all YOU can't see a vector image here. And if you make a vector image in CorelDraw (as an example) and then make it into a JPEG, it'll look exactly the same. If you take a raster image and put it into a vector program and then show it (again converted to raster) it's still going to look the same. They just don't ACT the same when in pure form.

You can put a raster image into a vector file and it'll stay a raster. You can put a vector image into a raster file, BUT it's automatically converted to raster. (way over simplified, but vector will maintain it's quality and visual regardless of how much it's shrunk or enlarged, while raster will lose detail if shrunk drasticaly and will pixelate and lose quality as it's enlarged).

Think of vector as a wire coathanger which you can bend into all sorts of shapes and sizes. When you fill this coat hanger after shaping it, you can also overlay other coat hangers which have been shaped until you start getting a visual of something (object) you can recognize.

Think of raster as being a lot of squares where each square (very small squares to be sure) is given a color (or in our case, a shade of gray). The resulting image will always end up as a rectangle and the squares will appear as a photo type image (even a photo of a vector, as the case may be). A "real" film type photograph is really nothing but a random type pixelated image after all, but computers can't do random, thus it's in squares that make up squares, that make up one rectangle, if you can see what I mean.

**Edited: And to emphasis what I mean, Pkunk's image above DOES show you two vectors (outline and center line cuts) and one raster (carving), but you are seeing the image in raster which makes it hard to understand the difference, except that the two vectors are cut with a cutting bit and the raster is carved with the carving bit to get the end results.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Hanna
01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Tell me if I am wrong, but it seems like the vector cuts into the wood along the lines, removing material within the line and the raster takes wood away from around the design.

Now I am going to read the other posts another 6 times. Man, this is complicated....oh well nothing worthwhile is ever easy, right?

And is this right.... you can take a raster jpg image and use Coral Draw to make it a vector image?

And the main advantage to vector over raster is that you can manipulate the image...resize etc. without losing quality, right?

I know, I am a pain....please bare with me:)

edit: misspelled;/

BobHill
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Sort of, Hanna. The line (a path) can be cut with the bit following the line as a center (as centerline text cut) or it can cut outside or inside the line (path) as when you Outline a Patten. Carving can be done like an inkjet printer moves except the head also moves up and down as it travels across the wood (or paper in the case of a printer). The carving is done with it's bit before you are asked to replace the bit with a cutting bit and any cutting is done.

Keep on reading all the threads and slowly but surely it'll start making sense to you, especially if you are doing some designing yourself to see if what you learn is what is actually what works.

And this is the place to ask your questions. Not all the answers will be right or "right" for you, but there is not a problem in the world in asking them and finally get the answer that does work for you.

Bob

Hanna
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
This is the kind of thing I am hoping to do.

http://www.carvingpatterns.com/henpack.htm

Greybeard
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Hanna.
Try this for size -
vector = pencil, raster = paintbrush.
Not an exact analogy, true, but may help with the separation in your mind of the two.

Regards
John

BobHill
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Hanna,

You are talking about the style of image (clipart vs photo), not the type of image (vector or raster). And both clipart and photo would, as far as the CarveWright would be concerned might start out as vector (clipart), but would end up in Designer as raster. If, you have software such as CorelDraw or Xara (and some in Illustrator) you'll have a LOT of clipart images that you can use for various things in Designer. These will go in as raster, BUT, you can use Outline Pattern and thus make them vector paths in Designer (unless too elaborate). Just remember that a path is cut to one specific depth, while raster is raised and lowered according to the greyscale depth each pixel has been given.

Bob

Hanna
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Then if raster goes up and down depending on the grey it seems it would produce a more detailed piece of wood, no?

Hmmm, problem, the things I was talking about using have no grey. Bet I am going to have to do some shading somehow huh?

BobHill
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Hanna,

I'd suggest you might read some more of the forum threads to get an idea of how the CarveWright works. But any raster work (outside of what's in the Library) would have to be created in an other program outside of Designer, although the 3D probe can also do that.

Bob