PDA

View Full Version : Least We Forget!

Smoken D
01-21-2012, 04:43 PM
One of the ministries a neighbor woodworker and I do is make Flag Display Cases for the widows and widowers at our church. So many old folks, with so many WW II veterans passing now, have no idea how to obtain a Flag Display Case for those Flags given in honor upon their deaths. Also, in my opinion, the disrespectful amount companies charge for those display cases. So, John and I give these Flag Display Cases away, without any charge upon their death. I just could never charge for the last honor we give these heroes and protectors or our Country.
The large Display Case I have made for a Air Force person I met at a Veteran Celebration this past Veteran's Day. His wife died in an automobile accident and he had no display case for her flag. She also, along with him, have a few medals and he asked me about making a display case for her. He told me that even at the BX on base that they wanted $150 for a display case. Nate is currently deployed over in Afghanistan along with the A-10 Warthog guys in his unit. I will have it at the base for him upon his return. Again, I could never charge him for this Display Case. I used the CW to carve the Eagle, along with her name, DOB, DOD.
I would like to challenge you guys to think about doing the same thing at your church. It don't cost us that much to make them, and what a great cause it will be for. And yes, it might bring a few tears for those of us that lost a few buddies, and Remember.

jaroot
01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
That is a really nice gesture on your part Smoken D! I have a couple of those that I need to make for my personal use. One for the flag that my family received when my father, a Major in the Army National Guard, passed away and two others for the flags that my son flew in an operations over Afghanistan. You have given me some great ideas.

And thanks for your gift to those that serve. I will have to see if there is a need like that in my church. Our town is host to Hill Air Force Base so we have plenty of members of the military here but, knock on wood, have be fortunate so far to have not lost anyone to action.

jaustin
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Nice thing to do.

I have made a couple flag cases in the past.
The last one I made was for a co worker that I didn't get to meet.
(2 division of the company merge together)
Some of them knew I did woodworking and asked me to make a case for his flag. They asked me how much I told them not to worry about it, we will figure it out later.

There wasn't much cost in it. I had all of the material and the glass was about $10.

When I delivered it they loved it. They asked me how much Told them it was free for a fellow vet.

Couple days later they pulled me into a room and made me take the donations I tried to refuse but they insisted. Everyone wanted to contribute to the display so I couldn't refuse. But I do try to give them to people for a fellow vet.

This is the case I made.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/gunracksonline/268710109_photobucket_35567_.jpg

DickB
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Both very nice! How are you cutting the side bevels?

signman9999
01-21-2012, 08:30 PM
As a Vet myself I think this is an EXCELLENT Idea! Would you share the dimensions so others would have them?
Thanks
Tom

b.sumner47
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Very nice, Indeed.

Capt Barry

jaustin
01-21-2012, 11:52 PM
As a Vet myself I think this is an EXCELLENT Idea! Would you share the dimensions so others would have them?
Thanks
Tom

I,ll see if I can find the information I used to build mine.
My problem is most things I build I don't keep plans for.
I found the basic dimension and went from there.

gregsolano
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Here is some step by step instructions for making this flag case http://www.instructables.com/id/Display-Case-for-a-Military-Honors-Flag/

(http://www.instructables.com/id/Display-Case-for-a-Military-Honors-Flag/)50611

dcalvin4
01-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Here is instr. that i have used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1H_gLb2UI&feature=related
denny