PDA

View Full Version : To not carve top of pattern?

jayhhughes70
01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I would like to carve to a depth of .250 on the outside of a pattern and carve to a smaller depth on the center of the pattern and maintain 0” depth of cut on the pattern itself. I have not been successful as of 1/22/06. I am new to CarveWright, but have many years of experience with woodworking and computers, still need help for the new person inside me? :oops:

BobHill
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Jay,

When you say CUT, do you mean cut a path (vector) or CARVE? If you are cutting, then just set the depth to whatever you want after selecting the bit you wish to use. If you mean you want to CARVE at different depths in the patern, then the depth is set by estalishing shades of gray for different parts of the pattern (in a vector program such as CorelDraw or in raster by something like PhotoShop). Shades of gray being 256 steps (0-255 with 0 being a step, of course). You can set either pure white as top or bottom and pure black as being it's opposite. The distance between shades establishes whether it's a sharp or curving carve.

How's the Ground Hog there in your neck of the woods? About ready to establish if winter is going to continue heavy or mild? <g>

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

jayhhughes70
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Let me use the example of the letter O. I wish to carve or cut away material around the outside of the letter O to a depth of.250, and carve a textured pattern on the inside of the letter of the letter O to lesser depth, (no problem so far) and on the surface of the O itself I wish to maintain the thickness of my original piece. So far everything I have tried wants to carve or reduce the surface of the letter. :oops: :oops:

Punxsutawney Phil getting ready for his for cast... :D

Greybeard
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I think if you try adding the pattern that you want to have the top height unaltered last,(ie after you've set up the surrounding parts of the design) you might get the effect your seeking.
Not sure, as I don't have a mc, but that's just my take on the software.
John

jayhhughes70
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
I have checked “Depth and Height of Patterns” in the CarveWrights software and it says the height of the patterns from the default of 100 can be set to any height up to the thickness of the board. A height setting of 200 means the pattern will be carved at the maximum possible amount of twice its default height. It also says height setting can be set to anything. (it will only accept up to 999) I set it to 900 and it still carves the surface of my O. There must be a different approach. :oops: :oops: :oops:

CRASH
01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
THERE IS A VIDEO DEMO ON HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR TRYING TO DO.

IT IS IN THE HELP SECTION OF THE DESIGNER SOFTWARE:

1 OPEN DESIGNER
2 CLICK ON "HELP"
3 CLICK ON "HELP CONTENTS"
4 CLICK ON "Software Tutorials" = A BLUE LINK NEAR THE TOP CENTER OF PAGE.

IT SHOWS EDITING TEXTURES, SURFACES, + PATTERNS: WITH MERGES + GROUPS....

HOPE THAT HELPS 8)

Jeff_Birt
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Is this sort of what you are after?