PDA

View Full Version : Cigar box and door

Shacky
01-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Why is it we feel compelled to share pictures of our completed projects. Ok, why is it I feel compelled.... I guess it's because we know the forum members can appreciate what went into the project.

Anyway, here are two new completed projects. The cigar box is for a friend and obviously has his initials on the top. This was from a pattern I found on the forum. The second project is a completed door. I've never made anything like a door or furniture so wanted to try my hand at it. It is made from rough sawed local cedar. Each part is made from 2 pieces planed down to be the proper thickness after being glued up. The window is "real" stained glass purchased on eBay. I originally wanted to varnish the cedar but decided it would look like a sauna door and just wouldn't look right where I was planing to hang it. No Carvewright involvement in this particular project.

Smoken D
01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Great Job on both! The door is really nice!

chevytrucking
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
. No Carvewright involvement in this particular project.

Why no CW on the door? I had posted a question on here a while back asking if anybody had made an doors with the CW. I still haven't tackled it, but I want to make an interior shop door with an upper stained glass panel and a lot of carving elements on the bottom half. When I first saw your post, sure got my hopes up. Good work, keep it up.

gregsolano
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Great job on both projects.

Shacky
01-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Why no CW on the door? I had posted a question on here a while back asking if anybody had made an doors with the CW. I still haven't tackled it, but I want to make an interior shop door with an upper stained glass panel and a lot of carving elements on the bottom half. When I first saw your post, sure got my hopes up. Good work, keep it up.

Thanks. I thought about doing some carving elements on the door, but opted for a less busy design. Mostly, because of where it was going and how it would fit into the rest of the house.

b.sumner47
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Nice Work on both of the projects.

Capt Barry

mifflinlake
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
I like the Cigar Box, I believe it is the one I designed a couple years ago and posted it on the forum. It turned out nice.

John

Shacky
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
It is indeed, John. Thanks for sharing. I did make a few tweaks to it, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to post it.

I like the Cigar Box, I believe it is the one I designed a couple years ago and posted it on the forum. It turned out nice.

John

cestout
01-19-2012, 06:48 PM
That is I think another reasonn for sharing, to give our fellow carvers ideas and inspitation, like LG's (I think) spoon I modified to make a matching spork.
Clint

eelamb
01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Shacky, nice work on the box and the door.

gregsolano
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I searched for and found the old post with the pattern for the cigar box, it is really nice. I do have one question, The part with the two curved pockets this is the lid?

Shacky
01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, assuming your serious, the curved pockets are to hold a couple cigars. If you do plan to carve it, at least make sure you put depth limitations on the bits. The original pattern does not and the router digs right in full depth and leaves a lot of burn. I am attaching the pattern after I made a few changes to it in case you would like to check it out.

I searched for and found the old post with the pattern for the cigar box, it is really nice. I do have one question, The part with the two curved pockets this is the lid?

gregsolano
01-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, assuming your serious, the curved pockets are to hold a couple cigars. If you do plan to carve it, at least make sure you put depth limitations on the bits. The original pattern does not and the router digs right in full depth and leaves a lot of burn. I am attaching the pattern after I made a few changes to it in case you would like to check it out.

I was serious, but any way I knew it was for two cigars, but it I just thought that if the flat was the bottom they might tend to move and not necessarily go into the curved pockets when you closed the lid, but since I have never seen one like this before then I really do not know.

Shacky
01-20-2012, 07:11 AM
I was serious, but any way I knew it was for two cigars, but it I just thought that if the flat was the bottom they might tend to move and not necessarily go into the curved pockets when you closed the lid, but since I have never seen one like this before then I really do not know.

Sorry about that....the two long cups are, indeed, the bottom part. If you look at the pictures I posted at the beginning of the thread, it may be more clear.