PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Pepaw
01-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Hello
I've been looking at new computers, A lot of the newer one now run Windows Vista. Does CW have any plans to do an upgrade so that the CW will run on a computer that uses the Vista OS.

HandTurnedMaple
01-22-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm sure they do (this is not the point of my answer). But it has long been my policy with Microsoft to never buy their OS until it has been out at least a year and has at least 1 Service Pack.

Jon Jantz
01-22-2007, 11:14 AM
I recently worked at a computer repair center as a network tech for several years.....

Here's my opinion... DON'T GET VISTA!!!

Do a search on the internet and read all the articles about how restricting this OS is going to be... probably won't play a lot of your media files, if you don't have the license for them... a lot of your software won't run on it.. reloading it will be a nightmare... on and on...

Windows XP works very nice for me, I'm not going to upgrade until someone proves to me that Vista is not a step backwards.

Just my 1 and 1/2 cents.

Greybeard
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Don't want to put the cat among the pigeons(no, seriously :) ) but I'd be more likely to change to Linux rather than move on the Vista, so I'd hope the team would see that as a more useful route.
My groat's worth.
John

HandTurnedMaple
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I would love to switch OS and abandon Microsoft. But there simply is not enough software for other systems. And 99% of the software that works for other OS is designed for MS and then converted. And just love my video games (and I'm not buying a console to play video games cuz then I can't justify $2000 for a computer). The good news is my PC is practically new and very high end, so I won't have to deal with Vista for a few years yet.

BobHill
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Numbers, John and in the computer world that's Windows. I suspect that Vista is to end most of the security problems. If Linux was as popular, you can bet the hackers would be concentrating on that. If I went to Linux, I'd have to heave most of my high end software and either go to cusomized or go without. Not an option. Even the MAC world is putting Windows on their machines (which always seemed strange to me). Vista may well not be the way to go, but there is nothing wrong with XP if one keeps up with the security issues and that's almost all automatic today. I probably get hit with as much as anyone, but it's almost un-noticable any more.

Bob

Greybeard
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
HTM - I'd assumed that I would have multiple os on my set-up by then.
With the hd size of my current pc plus an external waiting to be added, there should be no need for any upgrades for me for some time.

Regards
John

BobHill
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I have two high end networked machines on my desk, John with a Tb of memory. Only XP, thanks. I couldn't do without dual screens any more though. Even thinking trips might be handy<g>.

Bob

pkunk
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Just for your information. I use a few Windoz programs on my Mac. I do NOT have Windoz installed (although I could), but instead use a program called CrossOver. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
Check it out-it's pretty good.

BobHill
01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
A good many of my programs would work very well indeed on your MAC (with OS X too), Pkunk, such as Audible, Premiere, and CS, of course ... but they aren't worth a damn on Linux.

Bob

rgant05
01-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not even thinking about Windows Vista..... I am still paying for the Upgrade to Windows XP. At the moment I am trying to save up for money to replace my Corel Draw that I haven't used since I went to Windows XP. I have replace virtually every program that I had when I had Windows 98) The thought of going through this again may very well keep me in the "dark ages" of XP for many years to come. Why don't they (Microsoft) work on a version that will WORK in the world that exists instead of trying to creat more headaches. Used to they wouldn't come up with more crap unless it was "backwards compatible" with the programs that are already out there. Seems like they do nothing more than propel us into another environment (that doesn't work right either) everytime they get some more "good ideas".

Pepaw
01-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Boy lots of info. I was planing on buy a new computer this month but that will have to wait untill later. I need to help with some of the cost of taking care of my Mom, she had a stroke a few months ago, long term care is costing more then we though. Any way after I get the new computer I work on saving money for the CW. Thank for the replys

BobHill
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I guess this isn't really the place for computer or Windows lessons, but aren't you aware that XP has a feature which allows you to use older versions of software with it? I can even use version 5 of CorelDraw with mine (which allows the early clipart to be updated for today's version use. I haven't tried version 3 yet (no need), but believe that will also work.

Bob

rgant05
01-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I have heard that you can run any program in Windows 98 mode on XP. However, I have never tried it (guess I would be open to learning just for future use) I seem to always decide to go ahead and bite the bullet with the excuse that a product 7 versions later is probably worth the price if you're gonna use it. I'm sure the features and capabilities are much better with the X3 and maybe easier to use also. I would however like to know. I have already put my version 6 on ebay and will probably only get $2.50 out of it, but I need to know how for other programs. I tried to load v6 and it hung up when registering fonts. I guess I have a little bit of reservation using a high end program like that in a "make do mode". If you have time feel free to email me privately, I would be receptive to learning.

BobHill
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
As I stated, I have CorelDraw version 5 on my XP right along with version 11 and it works just fine (although ancient in terms of computer graphics today, for sure).

Check your email box.

Bob

HandTurnedMaple
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Read this over:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/7326/vista-why-most-of-us-should-and-will-wait

Jeff_Birt
01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Guys, can we get off the MS bash subject? It's WAY off topic. Let's talk about carving.

Jon Jantz
01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry, Jeff... sure wasn't trying to bash M$, since I use lots of their products and think most are great, was just trying to give a few people the heads-up since I have already seen a LOT of problems with people running beta Vista...

Also, given the fact that you will probably see scores of posts in here relating to problems with Designer and other graphics programs once Vista starts appearing on all new machines, I have a feeling we'll have to get used to it. And if their computer locks and gives trouble running Designer, it WILL have an impact on their carving...

OK, back on topic... (((what was it now??))) ;-)