PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Depot Question

KeystoneChuck
01-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Why do some patterns have a circle stating (16 bit) on them. Is that memory? Do I need more than one memory card? It is confusing because I could see if it were memory some of the more elborate designs would need more memory but I am finding some pretty "simple" designs having the 16 bit circle next to them. Again I am newbie; I haven't purchased any patterns yet. In fact my new machine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and I can't wait. I was just asking so when I felt confident enough with the machine opereations and I did go and buy patterns I know what to look for. On another note...the memory card, do you erase the project you completed from the card and add a new one or is it automatic. There is no metion of card memory size that I could find.

AskBud
01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Why do some patterns have a circle stating (16 bit) on them. Is that memory? Do I need more than one memory card? It is confusing because I could see if it were memory some of the more elborate designs would need more memory but I am finding some pretty "simple" designs having the 16 bit circle next to them. Again I am newbie; I haven't purchased any patterns yet. In fact my new machine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and I can't wait. I was just asking so when I felt confident enough with the machine opereations and I did go and buy patterns I know what to look for. On another note...the memory card, do you erase the project you completed from the card and add a new one or is it automatic. There is no metion of card memory size that I could find.First, the "16" (Bytes) denotes the pattern which have improved data structure/size (my words). Quite a while ago, LHR upgraded its storage ability, much like the new computers have gone from 32 to 64. For you and me, this just means that all new patterns will/should give more precise results of the vendors rendering.

The total storage of the memory card is 7777K.
If you are going the carve the same project again, soon, you may wish to leave it on the card. Otherwise, I opt to reformat the card after each use. It avoids starting an unwanted project without thinking.

In case you have not read or comprehended the manual and forum warnings, I'll re state the following:
As you design a project (MPC), you should save it to your computer (so you may access that MPC again as needed) naming and filing it in your organized folders, much like you would your picture files and folders.

Projects (MPCs) placed on the memory card, but not saved on the computer will be lost if and when you clear the card. You can not recover any MPC from the memory card!

AskBud

mtylerfl
01-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi KeystoneChuck,

No need to be concerned about memory on your computer, as far as the PTN's are concerned. As AskBud stated, this was a change to the system of creating patterns within the CarveWright software a few years ago. In some cases (not all), the 16-bit handling of the PTN (pattern) conversion yields a better quality than the "old" 8-bit PTN conversion process. A real difference in quality is most notable when a pattern creator is converting from a greyscale bitmap/heightmap rendering of a relief model into a PTN. Not so noticable if a pattern creator is converting from STL models (i.e., 3D or 2½D models created in other software) into the PTN format for the CarveWright. The preview photo of each pattern is more "telling" of the quality of a pattern than whether or not it has the "16-bit" notation.

KeystoneChuck
01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. Now I understand. I just hit the Mrs. up for the money to buy the machine and centerline textlast week. Which I showed her all the amazing things it could do with all of the project post and videos all of the members are putting up. Thanks for all of that, it made an easier sell for me but I forgot to mention the V-Carve bit and she rolled her eyes up at me. Then when I thought maybe I was going to need more memory cards I was going to buy them on the sneak so I didn't have to hear it. On that note I took the plunge and bought a vinyl plotter to start doing vinyl lettering as a side business. Just looked over our invoicing for one of the outlets we sell through...our $300 cutter has made us an extra $30,000 *NOTE: 19 MONTHS WORTH OF SALES* I say not bad for not having a single clue about the machine or how to make a decal. I was just "interested" and watch a ton of videos on youtube and joined a forum exactly like this one and simply asked questions. Like I tell everyone in life "Don't ask don't get and No such thing as a stupid question" Two years later I have people on the forum asking me how I got the results on projects that I have been posting on there. Feels good to give back advice when I can. *PAY IT FORWARD* We're hoping to have good results with this latest adventure.

SteveEJ
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
It is 16 Bit not Bytes. Has to do with the number of bitplanes or depth of the image.