PDA

View Full Version : Bit Chuck Wobble

HerbO
01-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Picked up CW Friday and did a few test projects in pine.
The first one was a picture of my grandson and turned out OK but a little rough. Chalked it up to using the pine and not on best carve.
Second one was a welcome sign and same thing some of letters were chipped out. Third one I chose Best carve and picked out nice tight grain pine and when it started the lettering it was chipping most of the letters off. I stopped the machine and when it was winding down I noticed the bit was wobbling. I tried getting the bit out and no go. Even used the removal tool ...it was stuck. My first thought was one of set screws came out and was sticking the bit. Even noticed some black powder dropping down on the board. Just kept pulling the chuck up and it finally came out.
The set screws were fine but the bit adaptor was worn and has some dimples on it. I popped in the cutting bit and when you hand turn the chuck you can see about a 32nd side to side difference. Going to call tomorrow see what I can do to fix it.
Sorry for being long winded....First post and lots to tell

Ron Baird
01-21-2007, 10:05 PM
The bit chuck needs to be lublicated with a light oil to keep it free and to transfer heat from the bit. When you insert a bit you should hear a positive click and pull down on the bit tomake sure it is locked in. the chuck should free up with use. You may have one of the ball bearings in the chuck hanging up they lock the bit in.Hope this helps.
Ron.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 10:10 PM
You should call Carvewright Mon. AM as you may have a real problem. Do not use the machine until they say so.

johnathanw
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I experienced similar wobbling with terrible results. I called carvewright and was directed to check the bearings. The rep. told me that some machines went out with loose bearings. Mine were alltogether missing. Took my machine back to Sears and just received my new machine. All seems well now and looking forward to seeing what this thing can do.

bri

HerbO
01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Called CW today and I am sending it to them to fix.
I did buy mine at Sears and could of taken it back but my time
in the next couple of weeks is full. This will keep me going out
to the shop at midnight to play :D
Thanks for the info
HerbO