View Full Version : Fonts

davidbf
01-10-2012, 09:34 AM
What is the best font to use for making small lettering

D.Franklin

AskBud
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM

D.FranklinNo matter what font, I would use the Centerline application, with the 60 degree bit assignment. I sometimes even substitute a 45 or 22 degree bit in place of the 60. They give a smaller foot print.

Just remember that the wider, and darker, the font sample looks the deeper and wider it will carve!
AskBud

dbfletcher
01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
How small is small? I have had good success with text smaller than 1/4" using a single stroke font converted to a vector and then imported with either dxf importer or ai2mpc. Then I use a 18.5 degree v-bit and assign the depth... normally around .05

Ike
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM

D.Franklin

Myself I would use a block type font nothing fancy that curves can cause issues. A nice block and professional font is Times New Roman. The material you use also plays into how well well the carve comes out. Softwood tends to chip, so try to stick with a hardwood. If you want a raised letter add height and a draft. Height at least 500 and draft medium.

Ike

davidbf
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks Ike,
Thats kinda what i though but I have'nt carved any small lettering. I am using flat sawn red oak on this. I have carved most of the hardwoods that grow in Indiana & Illinois and I think the tighter the grain the better the carving. My In-Laws have a sawmill so I can get just aboput any kind of wood that grows around here.
I wont be doing any carving until it warms up some. Its to cold for the machine & to cold for me.
David

davidbf
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Doug,
Thanks for the reply but, I don't know what a single stroke font is or what converted to a vector is. I'll try using a plain block type font @ a depth of .10 or less
on a good tight grain hardwood & see what comes out.

Have a great day

David

davidbf
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks Bud,
I guess I'm gonna have to check out this CENTERLINE & see if I can afford it.

David

dbfletcher
01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Doug,
Thanks for the reply but, I don't know what a single stroke font is or what converted to a vector is. I'll try using a plain block type font @ a depth of .10 or less
on a good tight grain hardwood & see what comes out.

Have a great day

David

Have you ever used inkscape? If so, under the Extentions/Render menu, you will find an option for Hersey Text. Selecting that will give you good idea of what a single stroke font is. I have attached a screen shot of some rendered hersey text. It is just a single path thank makes up each letter. Makes it very easy to create "Small" v-carved text. If you would like to see an example of text youwant to use, let me know what it is and I will convert and post back here. If you like the results, I can go thru the steps required to create it yourself.