PDA

View Full Version : This weekends project

TerryT
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I finally got around to building the heavy duty work bench from the Woodsmith shop plans. I made the legs 3 inches shorter and added casters, since the bench is a couple hundred pounds. Kathy and I also added a 1/4 inch vinyl coated top. I didn't think the mdf would last long. We still have to put the wood edge around the top but it's pretty much done.

Capt Bruce
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Great looking bench you've crafted Terry,
I think that photo can go right into the Dictionary next to Heavy Duty

gregsolano
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
nice bench terry.

cestout
01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I wal looking at that workbench too. Down the road a bit. I had casters on my current work bench, but it wiggled too much when hand sanding or hand planeing. I ended up putting straight wheels on one end and blocking up the other end to level it. Post how the casters work for you.
Clint

TerryT
01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I wal looking at that workbench too. Down the road a bit. I had casters on my current work bench, but it wiggled too much when hand sanding or hand planeing. I ended up putting straight wheels on one end and blocking up the other end to level it. Post how the casters work for you.
Clint

Hi Clint,
I used large locking casters. With all four locked up it doesn't seem to move much but we will see how it goes. Thanks.

cestout
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I expressed my concerns about a wheeled workbench wobbling. I just got an E-mail from Rockler - these are on sale for 59.99: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V2083
Clint

jaroot
01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I built a pretty nice bench for my garage/shop. Only problem is it has this large horizontal surface that seems to collect... everything! Not any good for working on cause it would take all of my "shop" time just to clean it off. :)

TerryT
03-12-2012, 09:34 AM
I finally finished off my new workbench with a very large and very heavy ShopFox quick release 9" vice. New it was priced at $150 I think, but Amazon had one advertized as a used one for $60. I was surprized to find it was a new (really cool looking) vice that just had a ragamuffin box that had been shredded and taped together. It works perfectly and is even more useful than I thought it would be. Just one of those little things that make me smile!

mtylerfl
03-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Sure would like to see some photos of the workbenches outfitted with the vice! :)