PDA

View Full Version : A Rolling base/stand for the CW

Capt Bruce
01-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Good morning Team,

I'm adding a second CW to my shop and seeking your suggestions, ideas, or designs for a better rolling stand to operate the CW. I'd appreciate your comments on the following as I begin my design to be able to incorporate all the collective wisdom of the Forum members and incorporate those "Ahhh Haaa" discoveries you've made over the years.

My first CW now rests on a Harbor Freight fixed machine stand with a wood top just large enough for its base. It has splayed out steel legs and height levelers. Nice and stable but it's fixed in one place and just a bit low for me at 6' 2" so I'm always bending down to read the LCD screen, do maintenance and to make bit changes. Also the space below the machine base stand is wasted for any other use so far. I use portable folding and adjustable roller top support stands for in-feed and out-feed support whenever a board exceeds about four feet.
Can anyone suggest a pre-made shop cart that serves you well now as a CW base?
Does anyone have a cart/base they've designed that works well and they would be willing to share? Photos would be great, and we don't need dimensional drawings at this stage of design.
I'd like to make a rolling base that has locking (or drop-down) wheels for when long boards running through the CW must clear other machines (or doorways) in my shop. I'll probably add some form of quick leveling adjustment to make up for my less than perfect concrete floor.
If possible, I'm going to add a lower shelf to hold my DeWalt thickness planner running stock through in the same orientation as the CW. This will save me having to lift that unit out from below my bench, clear a path and set it up each time I need to tweek a slightly cuped board. My back isn't getting any younger.
I'd like some space around the CW base surface for spare bits, T-wrenches etc that I'm storing on another adjacent counter now, so everything is close by no matter where I want to move either machine.
Let's stop the list for now and see if this generates any ideas of designs, your favorite features, accessory storage, sound and vibration dampening, safety features etc. that should be added to the design. Thanks in advance for your creative thinking and sharing.

Smoken D
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Mine sure ain't fancy but, it rolls around great fer me. I just used 2x6's I had on hand, real nice large casters. And the stand I found at Grizzly's close-out for $20. It was just the right size for the CW and bolted right onto it. Made it just the right height for me, 6'1 1/2". Maybe the 2x6's could give you an idea. Store my CW junk on it:D

gwhiz
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Bruce--

I've been planning to build a flip top tool stand to hold my planer and my CW. Something like that in the link below. I'd need to plan on the flex shaft clearance, and I'd put some weight (bag of sand or mortar) in the bottom to make it more stable, but I think that it'd be a good use of space. In my case the planer and CW are about equal weight so flipping 'em over shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.wordsnwood.com/2007/p.fliptop/

Capt Bruce
01-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for adding the first input Smoken D,
We're both dealing with the same rough height although yours may be about 3" taller than mine now. It's that wasted space below the CW that also drives my desire for a new solution to hold a thickness planner or belt sander. Do any of your casters lock when you want to fix its position for carving? Thanks for adding ideas to the discussion.

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
The Flip top CW idea was posted months ago and the concern was the weight of the machine and the plastic base mounting holes.... I hope someone chimes in that did it with Scuccess... I think it was a failure.... But I could be wrong.... A Band strap around the machine at the 4 corner posts might hold it...

Proceed with Caution.

AL

Kenm810
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I use the (KISS) building method in my shop!
I've made a couple like this, 34"H x 24"D x 36"W with locking casters,
I used Hard Maple, but you can build them any size that suites your needs.
I have my Surface Sander and Disc Sander on one, and my Bench Planer on the other,
and added a couple of divided Drawers to it to store Blades, Bit, Sanding Belts, and Sanding Discs in.
It's handy to be able to move them around for cleaning or hooking up the Vac system to them.

Ps. You can add some Plywood if you want to enclose it or stiffen them up as you need.

Capt Bruce
01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks George and Al,

While the flip top idea really appeals to me I share the same concern about the plastic base of the CWs and having to disconnect and reconfigure my dust collection each time. Since my planning use would be only occasional for board touch up I'll probably put up with working those boards through at the lower level height and making the shelves as rock solid as possible. Besides I don't want to strap down the CW any more than necessary if it would make me hesitate to remove the panels for routine maintenance. But for now no ideas are discounted or rejected. Many thanks for the link and your input Gents!

Deolman
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I used the Dewalt DW 7350 Planer Stand. I have a downdraft box between the cart and the Carvewright bringing the top of the Carvewright to approximately shoulder level. I added a plywood shelf in the middle sitting on the spreaders. With the mobile base it is really easy to move around my shop. (I have same cart under my thickness planer.)

You can see it here.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7350-Planer-Integrated-Mobile/dp/B0000CCXU9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325960933&sr=8-4

bjbethke
01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Good morning Team,

I'm adding a second CW to my shop and seeking your suggestions, ideas, or designs for a better rolling stand to operate the CW. I'd appreciate your comments on the following as I begin my design to be able to incorporate all the collective wisdom of the Forum members and incorporate those "Ahhh Haaa" discoveries you've made over the years.

My first CW now rests on a Harbor Freight fixed machine stand with a wood top just large enough for its base. It has splayed out steel legs and height levelers. Nice and stable but it's fixed in one place and just a bit low for me at 6' 2" so I'm always bending down to read the LCD screen, do maintenance and to make bit changes. Also the space below the machine base stand is wasted for any other use so far. I use portable folding and adjustable roller top support stands for in-feed and out-feed support whenever a board exceeds about four feet.
Can anyone suggest a pre-made shop cart that serves you well now as a CW base?
Does anyone have a cart/base they've designed that works well and they would be willing to share? Photos would be great, and we don't need dimensional drawings at this stage of design.
I'd like to make a rolling base that has locking (or drop-down) wheels for when long boards running through the CW must clear other machines (or doorways) in my shop. I'll probably add some form of quick leveling adjustment to make up for my less than perfect concrete floor.
If possible, I'm going to add a lower shelf to hold my DeWalt thickness planner running stock through in the same orientation as the CW. This will save me having to lift that unit out from below my bench, clear a path and set it up each time I need to tweek a slightly cuped board. My back isn't getting any younger.
I'd like some space around the CW base surface for spare bits, T-wrenches etc that I'm storing on another adjacent counter now, so everything is close by no matter where I want to move either machine.
Let's stop the list for now and see if this generates any ideas of designs, your favorite features, accessory storage, sound and vibration dampening, safety features etc. that should be added to the design. Thanks in advance for your creative thinking and sharing.

WoodSmith has a nice roll around unit, you can download the plans free. You could also carve some designes on it with the CW Unit.

fwharris
01-07-2012, 02:28 PM
I used a roll a round tool box for mine. Added a box on top for down draft. Drawers enough for all of the good CW stuff.

Only thing that still needs to be done is better/bigger wheels...

Capt Bruce
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Team,
I really do appreciate all the ideas, examples and tips being submitted to move this design concept along. Keep them coming please and whatever I determine to go with will be documented and shared with everyone.

I will download the free Woodsmith cart plan BJ and see how adaptable their design is for height and features. I had been thinking plywood sides but I'm open to good features and as you said it would be nice to let the cart show off some CW engraving/crafting.

Floyd, tell me it isn't so . . . I don't see a Ringneck Blues collector installed on your CW. I agree with you big wheels are key to easy movement as long as I can lock them when ready to carve. With the right wheel material I'd also expect they can add to sound dampening on a hard floor like mine.

At the same time I'm going to see what can be done to isolate the machine base from the cart and dampen vibration to help silence the CW.

Thank you everyone.

fwharris
01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Bruce,

Sorry that pictures was a before DC-INSERT! Good luck on your design, looks like you are getting a lot of great advice.

brdad
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I bought an Incra router table / fence a while back and while expensive it is a great stand. I have not purchased them yet, but there is a set of three casters for it, two are stationary and the third flips up or down so it can be moved easily yet will stay put. The aluminum corner posts are slotted to accommodate sheets of plywood to make an enclosed cabinet with few or no screws. Again, not the cheapest buy but I'm considering getting an additional stand for my CW.

http://incra.com/product_routertablestands_stands.htm

50259 (http://incra.com/product_routertablestands_stands.htm)

bjbethke
01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Team,
I really do appreciate all the ideas, examples and tips being submitted to move this design concept along. Keep them coming please and whatever I determine to go with will be documented and shared with everyone.

I will download the free Woodsmith cart plan BJ and see how adaptable their design is for height and features. I had been thinking plywood sides but I'm open to good features and as you said it would be nice to let the cart show off some CW engraving/crafting.

Floyd, tell me it isn't so . . . I don't see a Ringneck Blues collector installed on your CW. I agree with you big wheels are key to easy movement as long as I can lock them when ready to carve. With the right wheel material I'd also expect they can add to sound dampening on a hard floor like mine.

At the same time I'm going to see what can be done to isolate the machine base from the cart and dampen vibration to help silence the CW.

Thank you everyone.
http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/downloads/ (http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/downloads/)

Episode 509: Shop Storage Cart

Locking Rabbet Joints (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/509/locking-rabbet-joints.pdf)
Roll-Around Shop Cart (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/509/roll-around-shop-cart.pdf)

They Just posted another Roll Around Cart - here is the WEB address,

Episode 412: Mobile Shop Cart

Multipurpose Shop Cart (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/412/multipurpose-shop-cart.pdf)
Pegboard System (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/412/pegboard-system.pdf)
This cart could be used for a small work bench - It would work great in my 12x12 foot workshop.

Episode 112: Setting Up Shop

Dust Collection Round-up (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/112/112-dustcollection.pdf)
Interactive Shop Planner (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/112/shop-planner.php)
Mobile Planer Stand Plan (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/112/112-planerstand.pdf)
Roll-Around Shop Cart Plan (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/112/112-shopcart.pdf)
Roll-Around Tool Base Plan (http://forum.carvewright.com/download/112/112-toolbase.pdf)

BBrooks
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Capt,
You did comment on my stand for router and CW in the gloat thread. Not hard to build, just a bunch of scrap plywood and casters screwed into the base.
If you find or have a cabinet that you like and it does not have wheels, there are lots of easy to assemble mobile bases at your local Woodcraft or online
that can accomodate them.
I don't like the fliptop idea either. One slip on a flip and ouch!

TerryT
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
This is what Tony had on his machine before I got it. Table has hydraulic jack to adjust height. (not sure how practical that is) Downdraft box under machine and a tool box on the side.

Capt Bruce
01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
More years ago than I like to remember I trained as an Industrial Designer on a classic drafting board with pencil and ink on vellum. That was before the first calculators and things have changed quite a bit since then, but it's still all about imagining what doesn't exist and putting it on paper so others can see what you're trying to develop and the construction details. This is just to note that others are making this project easier since we all have free access to Google Sketch Up. It sure does make it easier to test ideas without even lifting a ruler or saw. Some freebie designs from out there on the web that provide ideas as starting places for my eventual 2 level CW rolling cart.

50284 50285 50286

cestout
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I deon't think they sell a stand that would sork for me. I like a downdraft built in. mine has locking casters that I seldom lock and looking at it from the keyboard side has a deep drawr on the left of the downdraft area for lube stuyff and repare stuff, and 2 shallow drawers on the right side, the top for the carvong bits etc, and the lower I keep my most used router bits for my router table which is right behind me there - in the end of my table saw. Below are spaces for 3 full width drawrs tha tiI never built. That is where I store my sleds. My point is, to get a stand that really fits your needs, build your own. I designed mine in TurboCAD and still may have the plans. If your are interested I will search. Oh, also, I have my dust collector connected with a 3" toilet L with a 1 1/2" vent in the heel that is connected to the muffeler.
Clint

ktjwilliams
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I went the cheap route and bought the service cart from Harbor Freight.. Covered top tray with plywood and the machine sits nicely.. It has one large draw which holds all my bits, wrenches, tape, Probe Etc... On the lower tray I have my Mig Welder.. Oh,,, it comes with lockin 3 " wheels....

Capt Bruce
01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
My point is, to get a stand that really fits your needs, build your own. I designed mine in TurboCAD and still may have the plans. If your are interested I will search. Oh, also, I have my dust collector connected with a 3" toilet L with a 1 1/2" vent in the heel that is connected to the muffler.
Clint

Hello Clint,
Your rolling stand sounds like it incorporates some ideas that may work for me as well. If you can find that TurboCad design file I would appreciate being able to look it over. Thanks

ktjwilliams,

Sounds like it's time for a swing by Harbor Freight if they have a rolling cart with a lower level. Thanks

Shacky
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I had a old kitchen cart laying around from Kmart; http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_140000088504095CP?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

The casters were not heavy duty, so I replaced them with 2 x4's and some heavy casters I had. Makes it nice and high, rolls around and I have a drawer for bits. As you can see I also took off the doors and put a box in for garbage.

Just one more idea....

Capt Bruce
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Good morning Folks,
I really appreciate the continued flow of examples and great ideas from all of you. With three days off for this holiday weekend (it's nice to be a Fed sometimes) I'm going to do some mock-ups of the ideal working height (for me) and measure all the machine dimensions and required access points.

That will help define the two "envelopes" to then design the stand/cart under and around them since I am going to have it carry both the new CW and my DeWalt Planner. I also like the idea of storing often used "jigs" on the lower level. I'm going to add 4" dust collection tubing to a common fitting (opposite the keyboard end) with blast gates so one machine at a time gets all the suction and it will be easy to disconnect and move the unit as a whole.
Your shared input is making all the difference in this project and I sincerely thank you one and all. More to follow.

CarverJerry
01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
First off I want to say I'm sorry for being late showing you my stand Capt Bruce. I just kept getting side tracked and as I just finished a job a little light came on in my head about taking a picture of my stand. Sorry about the dirty machine and all but you can get the idea of what I use. It was built to hold a couple of small belt sanders but when I got the CW the belt sanders got moved to a permenant stand that is along the wall with no wheels. This tabe here is plenty big enough I don't have to worry about it tipping over when moving it. It also has a lot of storage below. I have a switch on it that powers an outlet for my led's inside the machine and the other outlet is always hot.

jaroot
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Well here is mine. The first pic is the stand for the CW that originally had the DC under it. The DC has been moved to a wall with a separator in between it and the CW. The other pic is the paint can holders on the side of a mobile bench tool holder that permanently holds the planner and has shelves for two or three other bench top tools.

Capt Bruce
01-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Good morning Jerry and Jaroot,
Thanks for your additions of photos and more ideas. I'm still designing although I didn't get much done this week due to new machine set-up (and confirming I really do need dust collection on this new "C" one as well). All the designs out there are leading me to making the cart larger for stability and maximum utility in storing all the pieces/parts one uses with the CW in action, rather than having them elsewhere. That way it will all roll where ever I need to place it at the time. The curse of never enough shop floor space.

Jaroot, is the 4" hose between the CW and your DC in your photo the metalalic dryer vent variety? Did it serve you well? I'm thinking of using that type to connect two machines on my cart to a central hub with blast gates. Should be lighter weight than my current Rockler 4" flex hose to put less strain on the CW mounted collector hood. Had heard someone say the dryer type might collapse when subjected to full DC suction load.

Thanks again for your input.

jaustin
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Jaroot
Your dust collector and CW do you use the same outlet when you turn them on?
If so what is the amps of the 2 together? I was thinking about buying a small dust collector and making and dedicate it to the CW so I can use the other machines in my shop with the big Dust collector.

jaroot
01-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi Jaustin

Yes I plug both into the same outlet. I've only got one circuit in the garage so regardless of where I plug anything in out there it is for all practical purposes plugged into the same outlet. I can't honestly tell you the amperage of the two units but I have turned on the table saw at the same time at you can hear the drain on the CW. The DC unit doesn't seem to have the same effect. The DC is grounded and I've used metal piping from the collection head on the CW to the DC to control the static issues. Currently the DC unit needs new brushes so it has been non-op for a couple of projects.

Jaroot
Your dust collector and CW do you use the same outlet when you turn them on?
If so what is the amps of the 2 together? I was thinking about buying a small dust collector and making and dedicate it to the CW so I can use the other machines in my shop with the big Dust collector.

CarverJerry
01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Jaustin, I have both my CW and vacuum on a 20 amp dedicated circuit and have never had a problem. I run my vacuum thru an "I-socket" which controls the vacuum, it turns the vac on and off when the machine starts to carve. And now I know you're wondering what the I-socket is....heres a page for it http://dgcproducts.com/ and it works great for me.....

gapdev
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
it turns the vac on and off when the machine starts to carve

Their description says that the Vac turns on after the tool stops. Am I misreading their description?

Kenny

Kenm810
01-22-2012, 02:45 PM
We have a commercial version of that on our table saws, -- when we turn a saw on the vacuum comes on,
when we the saw off the vacuums go off.

rncurrie
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Capt Bruce
I've used the the same piece of metalic flex since making my top collector. I havn't had any troubles with it, I did put a ground wire through it from my CW to the DC the day I installed it.

gregsolano
01-23-2012, 02:37 AM
I am seriously thinking of building this as a stand for my CW. http://www.instructables.com/id/Dust-Sniper-quiet-extractor-system/?ALLSTEPS

Kenm810
01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Here's an photo of my son Scott, taking the my carver and it's cabinet for a roll-about,
through one of our storage rooms from one shop to another.

easybuilt
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
That makes it easy to move as needed. Nice looking shop Ken!

gregsolano
01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow Ken that is a shop, (as I work in my home two car garage).

Kenm810
01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Whoa ---- Slow Down --- that’s not my Shop,
It’s one of four of our store rooms that Scott’s pushing my Machine and its Cabinet through from one wood shop to another.
Our Storage and prep rooms, plus the offices and studios cover a bit more then 26,000 sq. ft.,

My shop -- including office, conference room and spray booth is a little less than 30’ x 60’ 1800 sq. ft.
With 6 -- 4’ x 8’ benches, 2 wood racks and 6 shop machines, plus several tool, paint cabinets. --- you’d really have a hard time swinging a cat,

Not that I’d do such a Thing !! :razz:

Ps. That's my oldest son Jon walking toward the camera

DickB
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Their description says that the Vac turns on after the tool stops. Am I misreading their description?

Kenny
I think they say after the tool starts. The idea is to control current inrush when turning on two motors - CarveWright and dust collector or vacuum. The box monitors current and will delay the dust collector turn-on if inrush to the CarveWright is excessive. I've never experienced a noticeably delay. BTW my iSocket will usually not trigger until the cut motor actually starts running, and shuts off when the cut motor stops.

gapdev
01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Ok, thanks Dick. I'll go buy a couple then.

Kenny

bergerud
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I think they meant that the vacuum stays on for a short time after the tool stops. That is what mine does. Just to finish the clean up I guess.

Capt Bruce
01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Same same as Bergerud's set up. Always helped with my table saw as there was dust flying inside after the motor was switched off and the blade was coming to a stop. The delay helps clear the connecting hoses.

Capt Bruce
01-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Just to update, the cart design ideas are still percolating but no further work this last week between Agency travel and my B model machine insisting I do some maintenance on it to correct measurement errors. (I think it's jealous of the new C machine in the shop)

Despite tearing off some strips from the two belts on the B to rid it of roll-under problems it just rolled under the edges again within three carves. Two years of mostly narrow board carvings toward the keypad side and I guess the belts were stretched so new belts are now installed and everything below the deck was given a really thorough cleaning. I should probably also replace the o-ring on the brass tracking roller as well so I need to look up the correct dimensions that were given in another thread. Will start off today (Sat) and check the tracking functions calibration before starting some new carves for my Grandson first and then some clients.

Again my thanks for all the views and contributions to this thread Team. I'm encouraged by your interest and I hope what I distill from all this will be worth sharing as a cart design.