PDA

View Full Version : Backing board for cutouts?

Jsolomito
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
This may seem like a silly question for those of you already using your machine but my CC has not yet arrived (big surprise eh?) so iv'e spent a lot of time reading the online manual and reading the posts here. I haven't seen anyone mention using any kind of backing board when doing through cuts. Doesn't the bit come in contact with the belt when doing a cutout, damaging the belt and/or bit?

Joe

Kurtsara
01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
It is an X, Y, and Z axis, the bit only goes up and down on the Z axis and ony moves on the Y axis, therefore it will never get close to the belt because it only moves in the center of the machine

pkunk
01-21-2007, 06:12 PM
All the cutting takes place in between the 2 belts.

menewfy
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
another thing is that it leaves little tabs so that the cut out does not fall into the machine. no worries no back board needed.

good luck when you get it
tim

BenCraig
01-22-2007, 01:22 AM
another thing is that it leaves little tabs so that the cut out does not fall into the machine. no worries no back board needed.

If you take a look at the photo (4th pic) in this thread from the Gallery forum, you can see the little tabs mentioned above.

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1067

BC

Jsolomito
01-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Thanks guys, that does make a lot more sense. I didn't realize, even from looking at the video that the bit was positioned between the two belts.That also explains why a downdraft dust collection system as described in one of the other posts would work also. The dust could be sucked down between the two belts.
There seems to be a lot of discussion about keeping the unit clean. I was thinking of mounting a gooseneck air jet to clear the cutting area in addition to putting in a connection to my dust collector. I.ve been using one(air jet) - I think I got it from Grizzly - on my mortising machine and it seems to work quite well but someone commented on one of the threads that their machine performed worse after cleaning with compressed air because of blowing dust into all the wrong places. The system that I use has a stopcock so the airstream can be dialed down to a very gentle jet. What do you guys think?
Joe

Shawn Gillies
01-22-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm thinking g of running 1/4" copper tube air lines running x/y and fabricating air jet nozzles on my lathe blowing air downwards in various directions (i will have to play around to find the optimum angles and psi) and might use an air logic controller to time the air spurts every 30 seconds or so. I would be careful to watch what the effect will be on the ribbon wiring because with the wrong air stream the cables may weather vane and rub along the rail and wear through. Again this is just an idea at this time because i still waiting on my replacement machine! (I just had to add that in :twisted: )

Shawn Gillies