PDA

View Full Version : FATAL ERROR 2! for any + all cut outs I try!!!

CRASH
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Every time I have the 1/8" cut out bit installed I get the same message = FATAL ERROR 2! :shock:

Does not matter what I am trying to do with it; cut out, cut line, small board, big board, or what ever! :?

The machine loads the bit, then goes to far side = finds bit,

then comes back to near side = finds board surface,

then comes back to near side again = :?: and goes down, lowers bit, and makes "three (3) loud clicks" :?:

Thats when it STOPS/FREEZES and I get the FATAL ERROR 2! message. :x

I hope somebody has an idea :idea:

thanks,
CRASH

Jeff_Birt
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I had this error crop up once too. Please see...

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=792&highlight=fatal+error

Remember, the search function is your friend.

CRASH
01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

BUT, THAT LINK NOR THE OTHER ONE I FOUND SAYS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Jeff_Birt
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
But it did occure when I was trying to use the cut out tool with a board mounted to a jig. When I simply routed the same shape it was fine. This would imply that it is caused by the machine getting confused trying to measure the height of the board when trying to use the cut out tool with a board on a jig (total thickness > 1"). I would suspect that it may happen if you are trying to use the cut out tool when you stock (no jig used) that is thicker than 1". See the attached file. I just created a square, clicked on the 'Select Bit' tool, chose the 1/8" tool and set the depth to 0.100". Try this and if it works.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd be reluctant to cut the outline on anything thicker than 3/4". :( I broke 1 bit that way.

Dan-Woodman
01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Nobody else I know of even makes a 1/8" spiral bit that cuts 1" deep.
In my opion 1/8" solid carbide bit 1" long is not strong enough to cut that deep.
And have you noticed , the price of the carving and cutting bits have went up.

CRASH
01-21-2007, 10:26 PM
:) THANKS YAW,

YES, I'M ONLY TRYING IT ON REGULAR SOFT-WOOD PINE BOARDS 3/4".

TOMORROW I'LL TRY THE CUT LINE WAY. I FIGURED THAT WOULD WORK FROM WHAT I'D READ ON THE FORUM.

I MAINLY WAS TRYING TO SEE IF THERE WAS A WAY TO MAKE THE "CUT-OUT" WORK THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TOO! :!: :?: :!:

thanks,
CRASH

CRASH
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
DID GET C.W. MACHINE TO CUT FINALLY :!: :?:

I HAD TO USE THE ALTERNATE METHOD :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

MADE A SQUARE, DRUG IT WHERE I NEEDED IT, CLICKED "SELECT BIT" SELECTED 1/8" CUTTING BIT, SET THE DEPTH, . . .
AND CROSSED MY FINGERS :wink:
IT WORKED JUST FINE... TILL THE END.....

:roll: BUT OF COURSE... :!: .. WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG :?:

WHEN THE C.W. MACHINE ASKED "CUT OUT PIECE"? I SAID YES...OH, OH....

IT DID FINE CUTTING THE DETAILS ON MY PROJECT, BUT WHEN IT WENT TO "CUT OUT" AROUND THE PROJECT IT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BOARD,

BUT WAY TOO FAR, (TOO DEEP), THE BIT HIT AND GOUGED THE THUMB RELEASE FOR THE SLIDE :!: :!: :!:

AND BEFORE YOU ASK :idea: YES I HAD THE DEPTH SET RIGHT, AND THE BOARD THICKNESS CORRECT 0.75" = 3/4"...

I EVEN TRIED IT AGAIN... AFTER I CHANGED THE BOARD THICKNESS TO 0.60" (BUT STILL HAD 3/4" BOARD) TO TRY AND MAKE IT THINK IT WAS CUTTING A THINNER BOARD, :idea:

NO LUCK :!: THE BIT HIT THE RELEASE :!: :x :evil: :twisted: AGAIN :!: :x :evil: :twisted:

THE BIT PLUNGED ALL THE WAY DOWN = DEEP = TO WHERE IT STARTED WIDENING OUT = TAPERING OUT TO MAKE THE 0.250" SHANK.

:idea: BUT ON THE UP SIDE I CAN STILL WORK AROUND THESE PROBLEMS, AND DO EVERYTHING ELSE JUST FINE 8) ...

I'LL JUST HAVE TO CUT OUT MY PROJECTS THE OLD FASHION WAY.... WITH MY SAWs.............. :P :arrow:

...atleast till its fixed...

Jeff_Birt
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
what firmware version are you running?

CRASH
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
THE LATEST, THAT I CAN TELL... VERSION 1.115

Jeff_Birt
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Crash,

Thats wired I am runnign the same verswion and use the cut out tool all the time. Maybe you should give CW a call.

Also, please don't use all caps...it makes it harder to read and is considerd to be poor Netiquate as it is used to insinuate yelling. Mostly, I think it's just harder to read.

CRASH
01-22-2007, 08:20 PM
ok, 8)

i got an e-mail back from carvewright :

they said they have recieved many such reports, and are working on the soft-ware glitch.
and will update when more info becomes avalable..... :roll:

captainkidd
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Mine is doing the plunge thing now too. I can't even carve anything and it immediatly plunges through the board while doing the first cutting :x , it also cut down on the thumb release. I emailed support the other night but haven't heard anything back. I know some people has had their 'Z' ribbon cable come loose and that's all they had to do and others had to replace the 'Z' encoder all together but I haven't gotten into mine yet to see exactly what might be wrong. Hopefully I will hear from CW soon so I can get this thing back up and running. I've only was able to do a couple test carvings so far when it started plunging :cry: .

B.Kidd

jchad1327
01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
The same thing is happing to me
I am trying to crosscut and rip a board 3/4 in thick but it says the board is to thick.

The crosscut and the ripping worked the first time, then I tried to carve a object and it said it was rounding over the edge. I watched it go to the center and it drilled a hole and it kept going until it hit the metal rod in the center. Now it is saying the board is to thick every time.