PDA

View Full Version : converting pictures to good carving patterns in wood

bamaman315
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
What is a good program to use to convert a picture to a good wood carving? Grey scale option.

Alan Malmstrom
01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I would suggest GIMP 2. It has many of the same features as PhotoShop at none of the cost. I have been using it for a few months now and it is now my go to program for making height map raster patterns for my CarveWright. With the program you can draw objects, blend them, tilt them, rotate them, etc. I have been discovering new things about the program like smoothing out patterns, curving them, warping them etc. I have been playing around with making my own keyboard shortcuts for easily accessing the filters and stuff.

Here is the link to thier web site: http://www.gimp.org/

Alan

DickB
01-02-2012, 11:13 AM
What is a good program to use to convert a picture to a good wood carving? Grey scale option.
This is a common question for newer users. I'm afraid the answer is that there is no good program or easy technique to convert a picture into a good wood carving, in my opinion. For a good carving, we want to have a realistic 3D effect. Items in the foreground of the picture should protrude in our carving more than items in the background. A picture does not contain this kind of depth information that can be imported directly into the Designer software. The designer software needs a depth map, not a picture, to produce a good carving.

Here's an example. Compare the picture of the fireplug to the depth map of a similar fireplug. The picture, if imported to designer, can produce a carving, but it will not be very nice in my opinion. The depth map, if imported, will produce a nice 3D carving.

50111 50112

Try importing each of these images and see what you think.

I know of no easy, automated way to convert the picture at left into the depth map at right.

Alan Malmstrom
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
50115Well said DickB.

With that in mind GIMP 2 is a good program for making these height maps. Some people preffer to use other programs also like Vectirc Aspire and ShaderMap. Corel Draw is also a good one but similar to GIMP or PhotoShop.

The best way to do something like a face in a raster program would be to make layers of images, one after the other, biulding from the bottom outline of the head as the lowest [white] part, to the tip of the nose being the highest [black] object. Kind of like a progression of a face as it would look if it were being submerged in an opaque liquid. Like slices of color getting darker as the slices get smaller. That would probably be the best way to do a detailed contour of a face, but very difficult to do. I have never done that before but I'm thinking about trying it. Even if you managed to do a face like that you would still have to kind of etch the details like the eyes and mouth etc. It wouldn't really be worth doing.

Some images do lend themselves to creating a decent looking height map though. It all depends on the lighting and the abilities of the artist. If you have an image that has good contrast between light and dark areas you might be able to use the [threshold filter] to turn it into a black and white image and kind of etch it into wood and stain the lower regions darker and the higher areas lighter to get a good effect.

Other times you might be able to kind of etch a thin photo image pattern onto created layers of a height map and get a good effect as I have done in the mpc file attached.

Alan

This is a common question for newer users. I'm afraid the answer is that there is no good program or easy technique to convert a picture into a good wood carving, in my opinion. For a good carving, we want to have a realistic 3D effect. Items in the foreground of the picture should protrude in our carving more than items in the background. A picture does not contain this kind of depth information that can be imported directly into the Designer software. The designer software needs a depth map, not a picture, to produce a good carving.

edzbaker
01-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Bamaman, If you are wanting to put pictures of people on wood, take a look here: http://customcarved.web.officelive.com/PhotoinWOOD.aspx
That is fairly simple, once you get the hang of it.
If that is what you are looking to do, give me a shout and I can share some info on the subject with you.

Ed Baker

gregsolano
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Bamaman, If you are wanting to put pictures of people on wood, take a look here: http://customcarved.web.officelive.com/PhotoinWOOD.aspx
That is fairly simple, once you get the hang of it.
If that is what you are looking to do, give me a shout and I can share some info on the subject with you.

Ed Baker

A video or a tips and tricks tutorial would sure be great on how you carved those pics in wood. They are amazing! Connie, I don't know who does tips and tricks but this looks like a new issue!

edzbaker
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I want to thank everyone that has complimented the pictures I have made, on here and in PM's. They have been a Huge HIT, everywhere that I have shown them. I have about fourty orders pending.
I am in the process of puting together some "instructions" on how I make those pictures. Then, I will have to figure out the best way to share with everyone that is interested.

Ed

mtylerfl
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
A video or a tips and tricks tutorial would sure be great on how you carved those pics in wood. They are amazing! Connie, I don't know who does tips and tricks but this looks like a new issue!

Hi Greg,

I'm anxious to read about Ed's techniques, too. I did write a Tips & Tricks in August 2008 that might have some useful ideas for you to try when making photos carveable without too much trouble. Here is the link...

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf

edzbaker
01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Michael, I now have a rough draft written up, with some pictures. Would you be interested in fine tuning it and publishing it ?? If you are too busy I can zip it and post it for anyone interested to download.

Thanks...

Ed

gregsolano
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Michael I will be reading it shortly! Looking forward to Eds as well.

lynnfrwd
01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I was hoping Joe ragsdale would chime in too. He's got some nice looking ones too. Part of it is in the finishing technique.

Save some of this good stuff for the conference too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Malmstrom
01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Doing photos like that would be a really cool thing.

signman9999
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I really like the way you do your pictures Ed. Would love to get your techniques and expand on mine.

CarverJerry
01-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I know I would be interested in your project Ed. I think it would be a real hit for the CW users. Thanks

Gary Koval
01-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Yep Ed, count me in, that was the main reason I bought the machine in '07, having grandkids and all thought it would be cool to do just as you show, really nice reditions...
Gary

edzbaker
01-05-2012, 07:11 AM
I have written up some instructions on how I have put the photo's on wood. Those instructions are now in the hands of Michael Tyler, and I'm not sure of his intentions. If I know Michael, he will prove that it works, the put the instructions in a professional format, then pass it along to everyone. (I am speculating, since I haven't talked to Michael since I sent the instructions to him) But, one way or the other, my way of doing this will be common knowledge soon. It's up to MT now, if it will be "Professional" or "Ed style".

Thanks to everyone..

Also, I have responded to the private messages But, better instructions will be available soon.

Ed

gregsolano
01-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks ed, I appreciate you taking the time to help us out.

mtylerfl
01-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Ed's instructions are very quick and easy to follow and did not require much in the way of editing at all. I've sent the final draft to Ed for him to look over. Once we've got his "go ahead", it will be made available to all.

mtylerfl
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Ed approved the instructions, so I posted the PDF on the CarveBuddy website for download. Here is the link...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

CarverJerry
01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I want to thank both of you guys for doing this. Every little bit helps. Now I'm off to read this and give it a try.

Kenm810
01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Always looking for a proccess or idea that's new for my carver

Thank You Ed, for your explanation and time (converting pictures into carving patterns in wood)
And Thank You Michael, for your professional touchs on the PDF and Posting

Ducky63
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Thank You ED & Michael for how to put pictures on wood. I learn better by reading than from a video unless I can watch it over & over. My wife will want me to do her Granddaughters now. Thank You again!!!

fwharris
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Just finished reading and saving your instructions. Sounds like a very simple process to do and thanks for taking the time to discover it and sharing!

gregsolano
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks, looking forward to trying this.

edzbaker
01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I had some free time today to do some testing, and proved that you can put a "Somewhat Busier" picture on wood, but it takes a bit of patience when sanding the stain. This was done on 1/2 inch Birch plywood, from home depot.
I still remember a print like this was on a wall in our home when I was just a small child.

Ed

dltccf
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
just got a request to do a photo on wood so this information is very helpful.

dave

cestout
01-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Thank you Ed.
Clint

DickB
01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I wonder what might happen if you applied a penetrating stain on porous wood, then did a shallow carve? If the stain darkened the wood sufficiently deep, lighter of course as it went deeper, it might yield a decent image.

Alan Malmstrom
04-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Since this thread had started I have been researching different methods for capturing halftone images on wood. I have come up with a technique that works pretty good and made a few tutorials on how to do it. If anyones interested her is the link.

The tutorial is made for use with GIMP 2.6 software

Link: http://patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial11.pdf

Alan

bergerud
04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
That is very cool Alan. Nice work. Great new technique. I think you should start a new thread for this. I can see this really catching on.

RMarkey
04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Good technique. I'd be interested to see how it takes stain, or if it should just be left "natural".

To save the tips of the super-sharp bits, I recommend taping a thin piece of wood on the mechanical bit plate.

CNC Carver
04-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Very nice work Alan. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. You are truely opening up many more doors for all of the carvewright users.

fwharris
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Great info Alan! Thanks for the share and tutorial.

James RS
04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice tutorial Alan, may I make a sugguestion the lines you see in the image are moire.
This happens when dots hit certain angles 90 degrees to another angle, if you play around with the angle if possible you can eliminate that.
Only reason I know this is I'm a screen printer of almost 30 years.:cool:

James R

tierman
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Alan, thanks for the tutorial. I'm anxious to give it a try.
Roger

Alan Malmstrom
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
That is very cool Alan. Nice work. Great new technique. I think you should start a new thread for this. I can see this really catching on.

Hi bergerud

I was thinking about you when I posted this bergerud. I thought you would be interested. As far as making its own thread I look at it like this. No thread stays current very long anyway, whether its this one or another one.

Alan, thanks for the tutorial. I'm anxious to give it a try.
Roger

Hi Roger

I think I mentioned I was going to be working on this idea. Hope it works good for you. I have another supliment tutorial that goes along with this one that shows a good way to make the halftone images. Here is the link: http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial12.pdf

Alan

ktjwilliams
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Interesting,,, Very Interesting,,, Both methods ... Thx to both of U ...

TerryT
04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Alan Malmstrom
04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I was thinking that if anybody wants to make a new tutorial of this one they can. And I just want to say that if anybody wants to give this tutorial to anybody else then go ahead. It's free for the taking.

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial11.pdf

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial12.pdf

Alan

b.sumner47
04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Alan, I will read thru and try your method. Thanks,

Capt Barry

Alan Malmstrom
04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I have changed tutorial #12 because I have found that using the [Newsprint] Filter set to [Line] function renders better results in the final carved image.

The two top image were done using the Newsprint Filter and I think they look the best. They have the clearest look to them even though they have the lines in them. The lines can be turned in any direction though.

The one in the middle on the bottom is a Newsprint Filtered image, but I used the [circle] function instead of [Line]. It looks pretty good for being so small.

The two outside carves on the bottom were done without using Newspring filter and I don't think they turned out very good at all. So I have changed the tutorial to include using Newsprint filter.

These are some photos of my kids that were taken about 5 years ago

I carved all these on pine and rubbed on a thin coat of Polyshades Polyurethane using a rag. Putting it on this way helped to stop the wood from becoming bumpy from the moisture. And results in not having to sand it down as much.Alan

fwharris
04-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Alan,

Great looking photo carves! What was the carve times on these???

Alan Malmstrom
04-28-2012, 08:57 PM
The carve time is pretty high actually. The smaller photo carve was about 50 minutes and the two on the bottom were 1 1/2 hours each. These are carved in draft mode.

But I didn't have to use the dust collector and theres probably not as much stress on the parts since its such a shallow carve.

Alan