PDA

View Full Version : STL Software

papawbummie
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
If i purchase the STL software will i be able use the probe to scan an object and import it in to the pattern editor and export it out as a STL file. Thanks Bert

TerryT
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes you can.

AskBud
12-29-2011, 08:54 PM
As said before, Yes you will be able to export pattern editor as a STL file.
Here is a link to the LHR tutorials on STL
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/stltutors.php

They show lots about using the STL modual. I don't recall where, but I think you see them do an export on one of the 4 lessons. Basically, as soon as you bring in the scan (if it's clean), you export it right then. You do not wait until you lower the depth to what is allowable for the carving of a standard pattern. What you're after is to use the total depth of your scan, and then use the STL mod to slice it into carvable pieces. This then allows you to then glue the pieces together like an Oreo cookie.
AskBud50043

jweat002
02-05-2012, 01:36 AM
As said before, Yes you will be able to export pattern editor as a STL file.
Here is a link to the LHR tutorials on STL
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/stltutors.php

They show lots about using the STL modual. I don't recall where, but I think you see them do an export on one of the 4 lessons. Basically, as soon as you bring in the scan (if it's clean), you export it right then. You do not wait until you lower the depth to what is allowable for the carving of a standard pattern. What you're after is to use the total depth of your scan, and then use the STL mod to slice it into carvable pieces. This then allows you to then glue the pieces together like an Oreo cookie.
AskBud50043

I still do not understand if you can slice the model from top to bottom, rather than front to back. Example: I need to make a 3-D M1A2 Abrams Tank, seems like it would be impossible to start slicing from the barrell of the main gun.

Thanks

James RS
02-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi, In the one tutorial #4 of the car they show you where the rotate the slicing plane.
So you can slice the model where you need to