PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Old-Fashioned Keyholder - Project of the Month JANUARY 2012

mtylerfl
12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JANUARY 2012), the Decorative Old-Fashioned Keyholder.

This easy-to-make classic wall-mount key holder adds a touch of old fashioned charm to your home decor! The sample was finished with an interesting faux metallic technique to yield an “antique brass” appearance, but you can apply any finish you desire.

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The dimensions of the finished project are about 20" L x 7" W.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Key.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
Key.mpc: .75" x 9" x 28"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Drill, brass hooks, sandpaper, wood glue, clamps, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Old-Fashioned Key Holder made from Select Pine:

• Two coats of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Two coats full-strength Bullseye Sealcoat
• Two coats Krylon Brilliant Gold (spray)
• Brushed-on thinned brown acrylic paint, then wiped and dabbed off for an “antique brass” look
• applied several spray coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic

Kenm810
12-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice one Michael, love the faux antique brass finish

rcdages
12-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Love It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In one project so many things one can learn in the finishing techniques, one can use on many other carvings also.

Great design and over job Michael.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Nice Project ....as usual.

BBrooks
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Michael, your projects and helpful knowledge are always appreciated. Everyone here is great.
That's why I re-subscribed to the POM and bought another CW! :)
Cheers

mtylerfl
12-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you very much! I appreciate the positive feedback and have some interesting projects lined up throughout 2012 that I think you're all really going to have fun with!

chebytrk
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Thank you very much! I appreciate the positive feedback and have some interesting projects lined up throughout 2012 that I think you're all really going to have fun with!

Always, Always first class sir! If I might make a request for your consideration. You made a project in November that you set up so users could add to it (with an extra piece).
Maybe that might be something to consider for future projects. Kinda like getting a 'Twofer' on a single project. Just might entice more users to sign up. Just a suggestion Amigo. Me, I've been on the POM subscription for 3 yrs and will continue for another 10! Too much good stuff to pass up. Thanks Again!

JerryB using Tapatalk

mtylerfl
12-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Great suggestion, Jerry! Yes, when applicable I'll do my best to make allowance for some individual customization. It's always neat to see how creative folks can be with the projects. Thank you for being a long-term subscriber, too!

rickyz
12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
i will definitely be subscribing again when my subscription ends. always great projects.

toymad
01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I have not received the January project. I checked my subscription, and I have four projects left.

AskBud
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I have not received the January project. I checked my subscription, and I have four projects left.I'll bet it's on its way. A few minutes ago, LHR updated the Pattern Depot, and I saw the project there as the last item.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm working on it...

lynnfrwd
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Alright there you go. Don't think CarversClub is going out today...as I haven't received anything on it yet.

Boy, this has been a LONG MONDAY...all day long.

mtylerfl
01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I have not received the January project. I checked my subscription, and I have four projects left.

Hmmm....I'll check with CarveWright to see if they have sent it out. I'm very sorry for the delay.

lynnfrwd
01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
It got sent last night. If you haven't received it, you may need to check and see if your subscription has run out. Might be time to re-subscribe.

Alan Malmstrom
01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
So I got a serial # on the invoice and a link to instructions that tell me to hit the activate subscription button, but I don't see the Activate Subscription Button. Maybe I can get an answer here on the forum.

Alan

lynnfrwd
01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Open Project Designer > go to HELP > Manage Licenses > Activate Subscription enter the SUBS.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX all caps and include decimal points.

lynnfrwd
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Alan: I activated your POM and figured out why you were not getting the emails from the store....global.net was missing an "a". Fixed it.

Connie

dannyjm3
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
hi my name is dan and im a new carvewright owner and i need help with this stuff! i dont now how to even write a blog. could u help me with some questions? my email is dannyjm3@comcast.net if u can help it would be a big help. i gave my email cause i dont know how to blog or anything. thank u

signman9999
01-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Has anyone carved this yet? I went to carve it yesterday and it carved nicely, except about 3 inches into the cut path of the key it broke my cutting bit. Don't know if I had a weak bit or not but was just wondering if it carved well for everyone else?
Thanks
Tom

rickyz
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
carved well for me.. took about two hours on best setting... came out pretty good...