PDA

View Full Version : Santa finished the Quilt Rack

Capt Bruce
12-24-2011, 10:00 PM
With a Merry Christmas wish to All my fellow Forumites,

Santa is finally finished in the woodshop so it's time to start sampling the eggnog laced with a fine Kentucky Bourbon (purely for Quality Assurance).

I had thought my late Christmas Eve duty of assembling the kids' toys ended when they had kids of their own. Instead I'm finishing CW made presents for the whole family. Tonight's final labor of love is this quilt rack for my lovely Jean to be able to display her Great Grandmother's quilt. Appropriately the pattern is "Grandmother's Flower Garden" for those who quilt.

49994 49989 49991 49995

This was my last salvaged chestnut barn plank so it seemed right to make an antique quilt display from antique wood. The CW carved the Rose Bouquet pattern beautifully and helped make perfect through mortices for the seven stringer bars. No mechanical fasteners. I think Jean will be surprised and pleased Christmas morning.

49987 49992 49996

In addition my presents for the family and for friends included 8 Scottish Shortbread plates carved in Poplar and 12 sets of Brazilian Rosewood Salad Tongs and cake serving sets.

The shop is a mess but the schedule has been met despite deployments, classes and a thousand and one other missions. Next year I start earlier.

Again our best wishes to you and your families for a safe and Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.

fwharris
12-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Capt. Bruce,

Glad to see you were at home port long enough to complete such a fine collection of Christmas presents. Job well done Sir!

Go lightly on the eggnog, it clouds the Bourbon!

jaustin
12-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Look good,
I really like the quilt rack and cake serving set.

Where could one get the patterns for them?
or are they your designs?

jaroot
12-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice job! They llok great. I'll have to make a quilt rack for my wife.

Merry Christmas!

Capt Bruce
12-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Good morning Carvers and Merry Christmas,

Floyd, you're quite right that even a little eggnog makes the bourbon kind of cloudy and hard to see through. Kind of like my eyes this morning. Too much Quality Assurance testing (I'm dedicated) but a wonderful night with the family gathered around the fireplace with this woodshop Elf.

Good morning Jaustin, and thanks for your comments. I need to credit Carvenow.com for the Celtic knotwork spoon, fork and cake serving set patterns. They really catch peoples' fancy and everyone wants to handle them. I find the designs organic and tactile and they seem to really bring out the wood grain wonderfully.
My design of the quilt rack is a fairly simple single board pattern and features the PatternDepot "Rose Bouquet" pattern by AskBud. I made the stringers on the table saw and formed the tenon ends by gang cutting 1/8" off all sides of the ends. I made the tenons an extra 1/8" long to bevel where they stand proud of the surface in the Craftsman style. I have not decided whether to market the design or just give it away here among friends. Still designing in little tweeks I had to do by hand on this prototype piece.

Jaroot, I'm sure she will appreciate your craftsmanship when you make her a quilt stand.
Again a Merry Christmas to All!

James RS
12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Beautiful job, Capt Bruce. Oh that's also why I drink the cherry infused bourbon no clouds. Merry Christmas

Capt Bruce
12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you James,

Interesting article in the NY Times this morning on the resurgence of American Bourbons here and abroad including the new flavor additions. Have not tried any yet so more research to be done over the Holidays.
A Merry Christmas to your family in NY Sir.

TerryT
12-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed. The quilt rack is beautiful.

cestout
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Would you tell me the dimensions for your quilt rack. I have been working on a similar design, but quilters can't give me a definitive an that question. I like the handles on the fork and spoon because I think the open weave type stuff really shows the machine's capabilities.
Clint

Smoken D
12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Capt. Great Job on the rack! Will make a great display for the quilt.

easybuilt
12-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Beautiful job on those presents Capt Bruce you are a great craftsman. Wow! 12 sets of salad tongs cake serving sets.
Enjoy the the day with family and friends. Merry Christmas!

Capt Bruce
12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi cestout,

For the double bed size quilt this worked out best with the quilt folded in thirds lengthwise and then the width draped across the stand. Ours is 36" tall and 30 inches wide between the ends. You want to be able to fold and measure your particular quilt for the best combination of dimensions that keeps the ends off the floor. Good luck with your project, but I don't know of any one-size-fits all dimensions. For a king size bed quilt one may have to slip it through a top stringer, hang down the back and then fold up and over the top to fit the front panel display area.

cestout
12-26-2011, 07:24 PM
I guess I know about as much about quilts as quilters know about wood working. That info is a good start. I am working on 2 other designs, one hangs on the wall with a removable rod - 1" dowel - and a small shelf over the rod the keep dust off, and the other hangs on the wall by one end and pivots so both sides can be viewed. What do you think?
Clint

Capt Bruce
12-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Clint,

Both of your designs sound quite useful, and the same challenge will apply, being able to fold and display whatever width and thickness applies. I like the concept of being able to display each side by swinging the rod out. You'll also find several discussions on the forum related to wall mounted shelf/quilt displays that grip the edge using one of several methods.

Would not have worked for us as we lack free wall space but have plenty of floorspace and the rack can be moved from room to room for guests. I'll be curious to see your designs as they evolve. Wishing you a Happy New Year and all success in Start U.

lawrence
12-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Capt- those turned out beautifully-- I especially like the detail of the through tenons on the quilt rack--very well executed my friend.

Thanks for taking the time to share and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish in the future
Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Very Nice work !!!!!

AL

cestout
12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Capt Bruce,
The designs are almost finished in Designer, but presently I can't afford even to buy the pine needed to do dest carves. I will certainly keep you informed when I make some progress.
Clint