PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Carve Gift

Smoken D
12-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Got myself involved helping out at two places for one year, church and a kids camp, so have not had much time for fun. In other words woodworking and the rotary jig. This was my first rotary jig project that took a few months. Was working on 4 different projects at the same time. Learned a lot on the first one. Anyway, this is for our youth pastor at church. Has his name along with the face of Jesus on the cross. Came out OK for the first time on the thing and especially for making a cane. Like I said sure did learn a lot on that first one. BIG CURVE, BUT IT WORKED!
Oh yea, handle is Walnut, think the carve is Maple and forgot what wood is bottom portion. Did not like how the joint looked where the two pieces went together so put in cut and Becca Inlace on the joint. That came out nice.

Kenm810
12-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey! Nice Looking Walking Stick, Really Like the Carving on it, Well Done

gregsolano
12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Really nice, I hope to get the rotary kit someday as well.

CarverJerry
12-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Wow, that came out really nice. Did you have to do anything to the file when you carved this? I know I carved this one in a piece of slab wood from my maple tree months ago and it looks great.

Smoken D
12-25-2011, 06:34 PM
CarverJerry;
I made the pattern fit to the size for the rotary jig. On the name I wish I had used wider lettering as the letter "T" I had to cut a new piece "|" and glue it in. Also the straight section of the letter "R" was too thin also and had to cut it out and put in a new "|". It looked OK in the drawing, but was cut a little too thin. Now I know the lettering needs to be a little thicker when spread out in the round. Was a good learning expirence. Handle a little large, but Travis has a very large hand. Wish I had asked Ed for a handle pattern, might have saved me a lot of trouble getting it right.

edzbaker
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Smoken, That is a great gift. You are right about the TEXT carving "Slim". I think it has to do with the angle of the wood (Rotating) in relation to the bit. I have always added medium Draft to any text that I carve on round. And even then you can see that it takes a lot of the draft away as it is carved. The more you practice round carving, the more you will enjoy it.

I have a cane handle pattern that uses a 60V to do the outline on both sides of a 1.5 X 3 X 8 piece. I then finish cuting it out on a bandsaw or scrollsaw. I will be glad to send that if you like. I also have a Falcon handle pattern (Not the greatest) You can see it on my website. I will share that too if anyone wants it.

Ed

lawrence
12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
excellent job on that cane-- It really does get me even more excited about the prospect of getting the jig someday. I keep holding out hope that Ed or someone else will come up with one that adjusts to allow for different sized dowels... but one of these days I'm going to have to just pull the trigger anyway.

Lawrence

edzbaker
12-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Smoken, I sent a couple of handle patterns to you, let me know if you don't get them, and I will try again.

Ed

Smoken D
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Got them Ed, they look great. Thanks!

ladjr
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
50311 This is one of the canes I have created with the Rotary Jig. It is great. I could use a cane handle pattern if anyone has one.
Thanks
Leo

gregsolano
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Here is one I picked up off the forum some time ago.

edzbaker
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I have used these on many canes that I have made. But with then being cut in 1.5" wood I just let the CarveWright do the outline and then I finish cuting them out with a bandsaw, jig saw, or scroll saw.

Ed

ktjwilliams
05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
One of these dayzzzzz I'm gonna have to save up and get the jig .... I like the hardware on the one sample up there.. Where would U get stuff like that ???