PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Question?

northey87
12-23-2011, 05:38 PM
This may have come up before but I want to start a thread on this as I am hoping it will help me and maybe others with the same questions.

I know that you cannot sell carved copyrighted images, names, or phases without the rights to use them. My main question is where is the line drawn, when does it become illegal? Please note that this is not a thread insighting illegal activity, it's about working within the law.

Example;

I live and work near Pittsburgh Pa and football and hockey are big around here, lots of pride. I would like to start sell some custom carved stuff based in that market.

Obviously, there is going to be certain "no no's", both the Steeler and the Penguin emblems, and the words "Steelers" and "Penguins" for starters.

But what about "Pittsburgh", like "Let's GO Pittsburgh" or something like that?
Does someone own the rights to the word "Pittsburgh"? Would the city itself?

Also, Quotes & Phrases. There are many quotes, phrases, proverbs that there is no copyright on that are free to use/sell. But, what about a phase/quote that the person to have said/stated such phase/quote is know? Like I found a quote by Nathaniel Hawthorn that would make a really nice sign, can I use it if I give credit to the quoter?

i.e. " Quote...."
Nathaniel Hawthorn
Is there special restrictions in that kind of thing?

I know this is getting long but I have two more questions? Quotes from the Bible, are they considered public domain or I need to get special permission to use quotes from the Bible, any version?

Lastly, how do I find out if a quote, phrase, and/or word is copyrighted?

I have been saying this for years, "in my opinion everything has been said before, so how do you know what you can use without stepping on toes?"

Thanks for any and all help.

AskBud
12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
My thoughts are:
If it is in the Bible or such Gods want it used.

Business people that copyright logos, poems, books, news paper items, and such are due royalties from your sales (which you should agree to, in writing before you sell the item).

Citing the author is always good, but not necessary. It helps inform the reader that someone special said the words earlier. Adages are also a nice source of phrases to use! If you read the forum, you see lots of them in member's signatures.
AskBud

mercer57
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I have listened to and about this subject since 2000 when I started doing scrollsaw patterns, as long as you don't mess with people like the NFL, Disney colleges ect. you will be fine and even at that cease and desist letters are what you get, stop and your fine. Some people think the copywright police will come get you...............just like some people are truthers..........let common sense prevail and its all good

northey87
12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Its not that I am worried that the "copyright police" are going to get me, its more like someone knocking at my door and handing me piece of paper saying that Im being sued for some thousands of dollars I don't have is what worries me.

sk8nmike
12-27-2011, 10:37 AM
First if you think it's wrong then leave it alone. Second I never sell a carving, I sell wood at $50 a square foot. How much do you want...

Kenm810
12-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Hmmmmm ---- I kinda like that Answer --- What ever is on the other side is "No Charge"

jaroot
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Well you can like it I guess, but as they say, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

On the other hand, and I'm not trying cast aspersions here, people who live in trailer houses don't get sued.

Hmmmmm ---- I kinda like that Answer --- What ever is on the other side is "No Charge"