PDA

View Full Version : Salamander Kerosene Heater????

will-munny
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Got a Mr Heater Salamander/ Tube heater. Is it safe to use this in my workshop. It was a gift, and really heats up the shop nice, but I want to wake up tomorrow too. So is it safe for shop use????? Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Not really the best.... It does burn up the Oxygen and put out hot Carbon Monoxide.... Short Term with ventilation your OK... But I would have a CO Alarm..... I went with Direct Vent LP Gas heaters... All the flame is outside... And no Back drafting Issues.

AL

Ike
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Got a Mr Heater Salamander/ Tube heater. Is it safe to use this in my workshop. It was a gift, and really heats up the shop nice, but I want to wake up tomorrow too. So is it safe for shop use????? Thanks

Well I am sure there will be opposition to my reply, but here I go! Before I put a wood stove in my shop I used kerosene heaters. I used 3 regular kerosene normally. The thing is have a window open for fresh air. I have a tube heater and it does work great!

Still it is important to have a fresh air source, I used the kerosene heaters for years before my wood stove. But it is up to you to use your heater!

Ike

Old Salt
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I have run into problems with the drying of some finishes with heaters, puts a fine oil mist out with fumes .

Good heat but just watch it.

will-munny
12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ill keep an eye on it and get a CO2 detector. It sure does keep the shop warm, so ill try it for a while. If my wife tells me im acting dumber than normal I will know somethings up and Ive taken in too many fumes. JK

I do most of my finishing in the garage attached to the house so no problem there.

Thanks again.

brdad
12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Another must with these heaters is to keep them in optimum running order and use good fuel only. If you're getting a lot of mist out of them that could be unburned oil from improper air adjustment. Most of these will also burn K-2l oil but if you don't want your eyes to sting or your skin to itch stick with K-1 kerosene.

I use one of these in my garage when I am working in there to heat it up initially because it is quick. Then I switch over to a small propane radiant heater to maintain the temperature, which is much quieter!

will-munny
12-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Thinking about fumes, I have my dust collector directly vented outside my shop, and when checking on it I notice the air coming out was pretty warm, so hopefully that will keep the air circulated and any fumes in the shop to a minimum. Thanks again for all the replies.

Dan-Woodman
12-24-2011, 10:25 PM
You also have to ask yourself " where is all that hot air coming from out of the dust collector?" Your dust collector sucks air from somewhere and if it's not recirculated into the shop (by the way of a filter) it must be getting air from outside through vents in roof or cracks around doors, windows etc. Sounds like your dust collector( being exausted to the outside) is sucking all the heat out of the room. Just my thought. It's good your getting the fumes out , but you also need air to feed your heater .

jaroot
12-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Hope that it works out for you. I use a cat-propane heater myself. Kerosene heaters give my sinuses a fit, can't work around them for very long.

will-munny
12-25-2011, 07:38 AM
My shop is in no way air tight. I also leave a window cracked while running the heater, so it should have plenty of fresh air to run on. Im not sleeping in there, at least not yet, so really just need it to keep the machine warm while running on these cold days.

BTW Dan, I see you are in Holden, Im right down the road in Sedalia.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

Ton80
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
You should be ok. I also stay away from Kerosene heaters because they tend to not burn clean. Maybe it was a lower grade fuel I was using at the time. I use propane which gives of the heat without the fumes. leaving something open to allow a small amount of fresh air without losing all your heat is good. Common sense is the biggest thing to use.. If you feel like your getting dizzy or otherwise affected by fumes.. turn it off and get another source of heat.