PDA

View Full Version : Clutch spacer washers

davidbf
12-21-2011, 10:11 PM
How many clutch spacer washers should it take to get the corect head presure or the max. thickness of the clutch washers combind ?

chkorte
12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
The number washers required will vary between clutch heads. On my first clutch head there were two washers to give me the correct pressure. The clutch head that I have now only has one washer on it, and that gives me about 84 pounds head pressure. You just have to install washers and check head pressure each time that you add or take a washer off.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2011, 12:25 AM
The first step in troubleshooting head pressure and Click problems is to clean and lubricate the smooth vertical rails and clean and lubricate the 2 Vertical Threaded Rods. Between the hand crank is all that hardware where some OLD DRY GREASE can be eating up all your pressure in DRAG before it pushes correct on the board pressure.... And ALWAYS Check HEAD LEVEL as a Torqued or One Side DROOPED and cause excess drag....

Below 50 Deg in the Shop... = Click Problems....

SO before you get all excited about the Crank... Clean and Lube the machine.... That is just my opinion.... And check the 2 sets of 90 degree gears UNDER the machine ans see if they are packed in SAWDUST....

Stepping off of my Soap Box....

Good Luck... Let us know how you make out....

The Parts List might show the number of washers.....

AL

davidbf
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Good morning Al,
I have cleaned & lubed the entire machine, checked the horizional rod & gears for side to side play { is good }loosened the 10mm screws/bolts on the verticle guide rods to reset the head. The temp could have gotten lower than I thought so I raised it to over 70 degrees for about 4 hours but there was no change. When I change the amount of thrust washers I get about 60lbs but when I add another washer it goes over 100lbs before it clicks. I don't know if this makes any difference but when the machine moves the board to the right { I'm facing the LCD screen } there is a clicking noise.

Gonna go check everything again

David

The other machine I had that got destroyed by UPS had 3 thrust washers in it this machine has 6 or 7 in it[ 4.5mm thick ]

DickB
12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hate to say it, but that clicking noise could be a stripped gear or broken tooth in the x-drive. Can happen with too much head pressure. Can you locate the noise source? X-drive is opposite the keypad. You may have to remove covers to check.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
DickB is right.... A Clicking Sound when the board is moving and stops in the X or Sand Paper Belts... That is a broken Gear.....

Call LHR.... They sell it with a plate and the 2 gears. You can change the plate after getting all the screws OR you can do as many of us have done... We Cut Away the plastic Lip that lets us remove the big Gear with just removing the C Clip then get to the one that is usually broken. Make sure you clean all the other Teeth looking for a broken off tooth that can destroy the new gear.

TOOOOOOOOO Much pressure and the sand paper belts can't move and the gear snaps....

Dirty Sand Paper Belts and the Pitch on the back of the belt will act like Rosin and give the belts a hard time.

A Rolled Under Belt will cause the Gear to Snap

Rolled Up Belts are HARD TO SEE..... At the Brass Roller and the one under the muffler. I RIP off a 3/4 inch belt section so I can watch it and have a silver spot near the Brass Roller....

Having the Right Side Guide touch the board, A Tapered Board in any direction jams and snaps the gear....

The Gear is a CHEAP Safety Device..... $14.00..... Motor $100. Plus, Computer $300 Plus

Picture 3 before cutting lip. Picture 4 after cutting lip.... Hard to see...

Good Luck,

AL

MWM A2129

X-Drive Gear Train Plate Assembly

Documentation:
X-Drive Gear Installation Instructions (Link) (http://www.carvewright.com/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf)

$14.00

$84.00