PDA

View Full Version : Centerlline Carving Technique

chebytrk
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I've made a plaque (Oak) in which I've added centerline carving text on the back. I set the carving to be done using the V60 bit and have discovered after the carve that it's much too deep of a "text" carve (doesn't look good at all even though it looks good in designer). I tried to see if I can adjust the depth of the carve, but when I select the V60 bit it does not allow to set the depth so I presume it's set to a "default" depth. My question is ... can I use the 1/16th carving bit to carve the text as I believe that I can adjust the depth of that carving OR is there a way to set the depth carve on the V60 carving bit? I like using that bit because it's a much sharper bit and don't make the letters carve very wide.

Appreciate some advice on this...

Thanks,
JerryB

edzbaker
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Jerry,, In Centerline the Software automatically chooses the depth for either the V90 or V60. IF you choose the V60 it carves Deeper than it will if you choose the V90. If you choose the V90 and actually use the V60 it will carve more shallow. You can use the standard carving bit also, and (I THINK) it defaults to 0.31 depth. Really Shallow.

Ed

chebytrk
12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Great! Thanks for the info. I think I'll try both methods just to test and see how they come out on some scrap wood. I guess I could even select the 1/16 carving bit and use the V60 bit whereby I can set the depth to what I want (.031 or deeper) just to do this so I can use the sharper pointed V60 bit.

mtylerfl
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Jerry,

For a shallower depth on Centerline Text carving, you can assign the text the 90 degree bit instead of the 60 degree bit (as Ed mentioned). For lettering to come out looking right, the V-bit will plunge as deep as necessary to ride along the inside of the vector outlines of the text. However, if the text is particularly large, this will force the bit to plunge deeper than what you may have wanted. Another way to reduce depth is to make your lettering smaller (within reason.)

As a side note, in much more expensive systems, we do have the ability to create a "flat depth" for V-carving, among other controls (start depth for example). This still allows the bit to ride along the inside vector outlines of the text (or any other enclosed vector), yet limits the plunge depth to a fixed amount. The drawback is you won't have a nice, sharp v-bottom along the centerline which is usually nicer looking for v-carved text (the bottom of the v-carve will be flat in the wider areas).

SteveEJ
12-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Jerry,
If you would like, let me know what you want the text to say and I will generate the necessary vectors and send it to you. You will be able to resize and assign any bit and bit depth you would like.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2011, 09:59 PM
And if you design Text with a V90 but install a V60 by Accident.... You get Crows Feet on the ends of all the letters.... A "Y" Crows Foot.

AL

carrothers
01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I have a similar problem with using CenterLine on large signs (say 5-6 feet long and 12 inchs high) ..the flex shaft just shutters until I think it's going to fly off. Someone suggested turning off the bold which I have tried but it still shutters. I typically use the V90 but everything I try it still shutters. I've tried two different V90's thinking maybe one was getting dull but no help. Problem occurs with soft pine or hard mahoghany. Same font in raster or outline works fine...problem is with Center Line. Any suggestions? I'm not ready to get out of wood and into foam until I find a much better dust collection system.

gregsolano
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Do you have the carvetight adapter? I do and waited until just before christmas to do the carvetight screw and washer upgrade (just kept putting it off) I am shocked and amazed at the difference it makes. The machine was noticeably quieter and runs much smoother. The flex shaft no longer vibrates the way it used to.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19190-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle&highlight=carvetight+upgrade

carrothers
01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks Greg...I upgraded to the Carvetight and it is much better; but I still have this "shaking" of the flex drive when doing large font centerline. After reading some more posts tonight I think I am going to try a different true type font. I ususally use Times New Roman but maybe another font with "thinner" lines will be easier on the machine. I am also going to buy a 120 degree bit and see if that helps.

AskBud
01-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks Greg...I upgraded to the Carvetight and it is much better; but I still have this "shaking" of the flex drive when doing large font centerline. After reading some more posts tonight I think I am going to try a different true type font. I usually use Times New Roman but maybe another font with "thinner" lines will be easier on the machine. I am also going to buy a 120 degree bit and see if that helps.
The shaking is due to the depth of the font, in centerline mode, which increases as enlarged.
The selection chart gives you a hint on the potential depth by the darkness and width of the sample. However, any time you highlight the text you see the white lines, which are in the center of that text. Point to the line, at the widest section of the letter, and the depth will be displayed in the bottom left of your designer window. The depth is the right-most number, with the left to sets being the coordinates of the pointer. At this point we have no specified control over the depth of the centerline carve, at any specific size, other than to select an alternate font. Remember "Darker means deeper, and BOLD also means deeper"! Others will speak of work-around, however they are not foolproof! Go back in your previous usage of a hand router, and think of the care you took on heavy routes. You will begin to see the actual reason for the labor of the flex as the bit tries to bull through the heavy cut. A wider degree will not be better, and may well be worse!
AskBud

gregsolano
01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
It may not solve your problem but after the carvetight came out they (LHR) recommended you change out the hex screw that holds the bit in place and add two split washers. It really helps with over all balance and vibrations. If you have not done this I highly recommend it.

Go to this link to read about it. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19190-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle&highlight=carvetight+upgrade (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19190-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle&highlight=carvetight+upgrade)

Ton80
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I was just coming on here to discuss this issue of using Centerline to carve letters. It seems to me that there should be some way for the user to limit the depth/pass when carving out deep Centerline letters. The letters I'm carving right now are not large at all but they do require the 90V to drop to a depth of .27 into pine. It's quite discerning the stressful sounds that come from the machine because it's clearly trying to hog out too much material at once. This causes stress on the shaft/motor and causes the wood to burn when the job is run on hardwood. If I was doing these letters by hand I would never try to remove all that material at once but instead make multiple passes

So, isn't it conceivable that LHR could patch the centerline plug in to allow a user the ability to limit the depth per pass so the machine can operate more within what it's parts are capable of handling on a regular basis?

AskBud
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I was just coming on here to discuss this issue of using Centerline to carve letters. It seems to me that there should be some way for the user to limit the depth/pass when carving out deep Centerline letters. The letters I'm carving right now are not large at all but they do require the 90V to drop to a depth of .27 into pine. It's quite discerning the stressful sounds that come from the machine because it's clearly trying to hog out too much material at once. This causes stress on the shaft/motor and causes the wood to burn when the job is run on hardwood. If I was doing these letters by hand I would never try to remove all that material at once but instead make multiple passes

So, isn't it conceivable that LHR could patch the centerline plug in to allow a user the ability to limit the depth per pass so the machine can operate more within what it's parts are capable of handling on a regular basis? The request for a Centerline Max-pass depth module has been on the LHR/Forum "Wish List" for a long, long time. Perhaps it will appear some time. I usually apply the 60 degree bit rather than the 90. In any case, you need to be sure the bit is sharp and that the font you select is not going to over burden the bit.
AskBud