PDA

View Full Version : Hey there

jsullysix
12-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey there,

Recently picked up a CW machine a few months back second hand. I have to say that the support staff has been great with getting the registration stuff switched over, so thanks for that!

I purchased this solely to help automate some of my guitar building and am admittedly at a bit of a loss regarding where to start. I’ve done some of the tutorials that was part of the software, but will try to dedicate a fair amount of time to reading some guitar related threads here to see how I can apply what the CW can do to guitar building. I’m definitely a fan of the work that liquidguitars does (found you on the mylespaul forum), and hope to get the hang of this soon. Or relatively soon. I think I may just start out with some of the basic functions that the machine can do (planing, for example) and go from there.

Sully

jaroot
12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Well take time to get familiar with the machine and the software. There is a lot you can do with it. I've not done anything as intricate as LG's guitars but it is amazing what you can do with it. But remember that patience is a virtue and the machine/software can be frustrating at times. But boy is it cool when all the stars align!

myshop1044
12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Sully , as jaroot said take your time. Try the tips and tricks and let each one build on the next. You may want to find out if there is a carvers club in your
area. If not try to find a START U member and get some project design training. These people have a lot of experiance and can help you get going in your direction.
I would also use the pick 3/4" foam wall insulation as a test carve material, so you don't waste a lot of wood learning.
Also use the fourm to get information on your needs, this place is the very best for help. I have and still do use the fourm to help me on my questions.
I hope this helps you .

Myshop1044

liquidguitars
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
The Carvewright is a dream machine for guitars, I did post on MLPF about the CW but the response was negative from some of the senior guitar builder members " archaic " not unlike what goes on around here when we try to explain simple things like sled sizes using 4" tails and MPC layouts so after three years of dogma and member blocking of collective thinking it's a loose loose for us not for only time but money to help you with your work.

Good luck and fair sailing.

jsullysix
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks all,

LG, I remember the threads that you mentioned. I'm gonna be doing a lot of reading here, that's for sure.

Sully

cestout
12-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I have only done one gritar (actualy bass) body. I had my son-in-law, he is the guitar person, carve a smaller body- one sided. I scanned that with the scanning probe and cleaned it up in editor. I then could size that to the max that will fit in our machine on a sled, and place holes for the pickups and knobs on the front along with a flat area for the I dint't know what you call it that holds the strings. I copied the pattern on the back (to keep the size the same), but flipped. I made a carved out area behind the knob holes for the wireing. We glued up mahogany and ash to carve.
Clint

liquidguitars
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
when the guy call it a POS I was not impressed much if fact I think it was hinted that it was imposable to do on the unit so that was that.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Let them make PAYMENTS on a Shop Bot... That will Learn EM.... LOL..... WE get no Respect sometimes.... A few Spoiled it for the MASSES..... A Hobby Grade Machine able to do remarkable things.... Not quite the difference between a EZ Bake Oven with a 100 Watt Bulb and a Stainless Steel Kitchen Monster... They BOTH can make Cookies......

The machine was SO Cheep that "The Few" could plop down a Credit Card and be carving without ever opening a manual in an hour... Then the machine faults, and the "Sweet Potato" for Brains returns it for a refund.... Now the Average Shop Bot Owner has done his homework for days and weeks never really making a impulse decision not having the "Sweet Potato's" to seek out knowledge or help on the CW.... Then "Sweet Potato" Brains posts a hundred Posts all bad.... And what really happened is "Sweet Potato" Brain had his feelings hurt.... Wife Expected GREAT THINGS from the Machine... and "Sweet Potato" Brain couldn't Pull it OFF.... So it must be the Machines Fault.......

OR he trades in a Dozen Machines because he "CAN".... And never cost him a penny.... The Sears Tool Salesman knows that the Commission on the $1200.00 item will be deducted from his next paycheck if this guy ever returns it....:roll:

It is their loss.....

AL