PDA

View Full Version : Vector Art

nodwell
01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I found a pattern I like from Vector Art.
They offer 3 differnt styles to download - regular, dish and recess.
What are the limitations of what you can do with each style and are there any advantages to either one?

Thanks

Don

BobHill
01-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Don,

I'm pretty familiar with most vector graphic programs, but I'm not familar with the terms: regular, dish and recess as it might apply to them. What is the program they are from and perhaps what format or better explanation other than the obvious. In any event Designer requires any import image be in specific raster formats (BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, MNG [?], XPM)

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

nodwell
01-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Bob

This is what I was referring to.

Don

Aaron B
01-21-2007, 10:26 AM
I am pretty sure you only need the regular, the others you could do in the designer software itself. Maybe Bob or someone can clarify but thats the way it looked to me.

nodwell
01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Thats what I thought (hoped), but wanted to check with the experts (oldtimers :D ) before I ordered it.

By the way been playing with machine for 5 days now - not single error or problen with unit.

Don

menewfy
01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
you cant get those images without buying them if youwant to touch them up a little just right click on the pic and save pic as into a folder you have on the pc then youcan play with it and make it crisp in coreldraw.
tim

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
You might want to explore the legality of that Tim, those are copyrighted images.

Besides you can make back that $25 in one sale easily.

BobHill
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Don,

Both Aaron and Tim are correct in my book. Those are images for sale, and won't carve well just taking them off the WEB page and trying to carve them. You do have to purchase them, and for me, the regular offer would be best, because you can put the Cat to any background you wish it to go to and the others you'd have to remove the background to make any modification to it.

Bob

menewfy
01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
it does not say onthere site that the images are copyrighted, but hey it is your call.
tim

pkunk
01-21-2007, 08:44 PM
it does not say onthere site that the images are copyrighted, but hey it is your call.
tim
It does say that you may not use them for commercial purposes in the buyers agreement. I've purchased several. Like this.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Don,

I'm pretty familiar with most vector graphic programs, but I'm not familar with the terms: regular, dish and recess as it might apply to them. What is the program they are from and perhaps what format or better explanation other than the obvious. In any event Designer requires any import image be in specific raster formats (BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, MNG [?], XPM)

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida
Bob, Vector Art has posted here numerous times that their art is for sale in PTN format. I've used several of their designs and think they are fantastic.

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 09:08 PM
It does say that you may not use them for commercial purposes in the buyers agreement. I've purchased several. Like this.

Letter from me to Vector Art 3D:

I am very seriously looking at purchasing your 3D ClipArt for use in my CarveWright/CompuCarve. I am a woodworker who sells his work mostly at swap meets and flea markets. What I am wondering is if there is a limit or preference you have as to the maximum number of units I can sell with each of your downloads?

Thank you,
Troy

Hi Troy,

Thanks for your email and interest in our products. There is no limit how many times you can use the models, as long as your products are
individually cut. So in terms of the CarveWright/CompuCarve you can carve the same part over and over for the cost of buying it once. Our license does restrict using the models to make molds or other mass production methods, if you wanted to do that then let us know and we can discuss licensing for it.

However I don't think there would be a problem with the use you specified. For more info see our license agreement here: http://www.vectorart3d.com/license

Any other questions then please email or call,

Sincerely,
James Booth
Vector Art 3D
www.VectorArt3D.com
P: 416 686 4591
F: 416 849 0206

This shows clearly that you can use the purchased models to sell as long as they are individually cut and not used to make a mold or similar device.

tim

Tim, it says on the bottom of each page on the website reads "Copyright © 2004-2007, Vector Art 3D, Inc." Since the images in question are part of the webpage, they are protected by the copyright. It also specifically states that these are under copyrights in the License Agreement.

But do what you guys want, I'm not your lawyer. But I know how I would feel/react after I took my time and spent my money on the development software to create these images just to have someone steal them from me without offering even a small remittance.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I guess I misread the agreement. Now I can feel OK about selling some on a project or 2. :D

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I emailed them Friday because the agreement is very ambiguous. I really wanted there stuff, but couldn't justify the $25 if I couldn't somehow get a return on the purchase. And like I said, I can make the money back on 1 sale, which I will use to buy another pattern.

menewfy
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Fair enough i thought that meant about their company name i did not realize that it covered the pics.

my appolagies to vector art and i will keep this information for future use not only on your site but i will apply it to others as well.

regards
tim