PDA

View Full Version : Problem while measureing length

gumbo
12-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I went to start a project and the machine is acting crazy while its measureing the length. i have just replaced the x drive gears and trying to do my first project since. While measureing the length of the project the machine keeps changing directions of the x belts very fast and will not continue. Started the measureing numerous times and it still happens but it doesn't happen in the same spot. Any suggestions?

bergerud
12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
First re flash the firmware on the card to eliminate software as the cause. I have had that before and the firmware was the cause. If it still does it, the brass roller and x gears are next in line for inspection.

gumbo
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Bit of an update, I got it to go through the measuring step and start the carve while carving I keep getting "possible X Overload". Hope this sheds more light for someone. I will reflash and try that also.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Son, the number one reason for the X Gear to get broken is a rolled under sand paper belt. The belt has most likely rolled under at the brass roller, the one under the muffler. Of the 50 roll overs I have had, 1 was the back belt rolled toward the keypad.

If you do a bunch of 6 inch boards the belt stretches on that side while the other side goes along for the ride. It makes it a Funnel Shape Belt and will keep moving toward the keypad. I make it a habit of tearing off a 3/4 inch strip of belt....

If the belt is missing on the far side... It has gone somewhere.... Rolled under is where....

It is VERY HARD to see a rolled under belt.... I take a knife and cut the belt at the out feed tray just before the roller. Then with the power off, push the belt and rip the belt strip.

Yes, you can Flip the Belt, or release the tension and move the belt over... Many do that.... ME.... I keep a Shiny Metal Strip near the Brass Roller...

That back and fourth is due to 1. A rolled Under Belt, or 2. Missing Wood on the bottom of the board and the BRASS Roller is loosing contact with the board.

And to change that X Gear... One method is to remove the Gear and Motor.... OR do like some of us do... Cut the Plastic lip to let you replace the gears without turning a screw.... Takes 10 min if you already have the far side cover removed as I do.

Good Luck,

AL

gumbo
12-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but in this case there is no roll over. the front belt on the roller side is a bit worn but not that bad to cause any problems

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
You can't be sure unless you cut the belt..... How is the bottom of the board? Did you use masking tape? Is the board Tapered in thickness?

AL

gumbo
12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Any other suggestions?

TerryT
12-19-2011, 09:18 AM
If this was not a problem before you changed the x drive gears then you need to re-check your installation. You may have something binding up the x drive. Have you check the head pressure lately? It may be too high.

liquidguitars
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Any other suggestions?

cut the belt.

You may have something binding up the x drive.

Al has said when replacing to look for old gear chips in the transport, this is a good call as the chips will stick in the gears if not removed.

First re flash the firmware on the card to eliminate software as the cause.

As a tester of the firmware i never seen a issue that relates to this remark.

bergerud
12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
As a tester of the firmware i never seen a issue that relates to this remark.

In my earlier days with the machine, I experienced cases where the the x drive would start randomly oscillating back and forth when measuring the board. It would just get worse and worse until you turned off the machine. Whenever this happened, I would take the card back to the computer and check the firmware. It would say "firmware version BAD". After re flashing, all was good again.

liquidguitars
12-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi Dan,

"firmware version BAD". I think this could relate to the card not the firmware.

I experienced cases where the the x drive would start randomly oscillating back and forth when measuring the board.

This sounds like a classic hardware issue " board lifting off Aux sensor" or table pressure to high and not firmware. Basically if it was the firmware we all has the same issue at the same time right?.

bergerud
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
It was corruption of the firmware. Whether it was caused by the card or by the software writting to the card, I cannot know. It has not happened to me for a long time. Anyway, that past experience was why I suggested checking the firmware first.

liquidguitars
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
sounds good.. It's a good idea to reformat the card and flash after a few projects...

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2011, 12:10 PM
That rocking back and fourth can be caused by the screws in the smooth vertical posts to become loose letting the head and pressure lift off the board.

Good Luck,

AL

Good Advice from 2007....

gumbo
12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Good suggestions I will be looking into them tonight or tommorrow I will reply with what I find. And in response to one of the replies this did not happen before I replaced the gears.