PDA

View Full Version : 2012 CarveWright Conference - Poll

lynnfrwd
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
When we have our 2012 Conference will mostly be determined by when we can get a facility.

But, we would like to hear from you. What would be the best time to hold a conference? (Keep in mind how HOT Houston can get.)

chebytrk
12-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe find something close to water somewhere... lake, gulf, whatever. Let's try and set up Video Conf this time for those that are not able to make it. Maybe charge those a smaller fee than those who are attending. Especially thinking of people like Al Who and other senior members who have contributed so much to our CW family. Perhaps even make a video recording of the presentations given at the seminar and make them available to others (again for a nominal fee). I wonder if Jason could even set things up as a Webinar of some sort (with all given permissions of course). Maybe even invite a Lowe's Corporate Office Rep so they can see what the CW does and it would give them an incentive to let STARTU members give demos at ALL Lowe's locations nationwide instead of having us do it as a "hit and miss" with each location. After our seminar Lowes might would send out a notice to all Regions whereby giving us permission to give demos to potential customers. Just thinking out loud with some ideas.

lynnfrwd
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Great ideas, Jerry. You guys keep 'em coming.

"by water" Clear Lake is not much further than the place we had it last time. Also Galveston Island is a beautiful location with LOTS of rooms and meeting spaces. It is <30 minutes south of us.

mtylerfl
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Jerry,

If you give a demo in Lowes, who gets credit for any sales made?...you or Lowes?

lynnfrwd
12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Jerry,

If you give a demo in Lowes, who gets credit for any sales made?...you or Lowes?

I think what most of them are doing is:

If the sale is made at the store, then Lowes takes the sale. If the sale is not made there, START U member takes the customer information, follows up and then takes the sale.

myshop1044
12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
When I gave my demos at Lowes, I would tell them they could buy the machine on line at Lowes web site, but if they wanted to
other extras ,they could give me a call and I could help them order everything at one time. As it turn out no one placed an order
with Lowes or with me that day.
I have sold the machines thru demos at my house with the START U program than any where else.

rossclark
12-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Early May,works well for my work schedule. I am still working a regular job and need as much early notice as posssible. Last year I helped. with printing cost,so let me know. I really learned alot from the conference .. Ready for more CReations In Wood of Montana :):):)

easybuilt
12-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Early May sounds good to me. I am looking forward to being there.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-16-2011, 01:11 AM
All I ask is that it not be any further away than last year ... but I will be there.

skeeterman
12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Jason, it should be less distance than from last year for you. maybe no flood and reroute for ya
for sure we need video to purchase of all the seminars because there is so much that we were going over and to little time. i have not retained much that we went over last year, but i am a little slowww
steve

AllThingsWood
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I will vote for mid june this year. Maybe I can bring my wife (she is a teacher) as school is out for summer. But in the long run it doesn't matter, I will be there when ever it is held. I learned so much from the meeting last year that I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and learning new ideas this year.

LittleRedWoodshop
12-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Very true Steve ... hopefully the entire middle of the country isn't flooded this year.

Canemaker
12-30-2011, 08:43 AM
I just purchased my carvewright, but look forward to all conferences, universities, etc. I have been involved with the arts and have experienced numerouse conferences within my field of study as well within my full time employment. If you are looking for an all inclusive place to hold your confernece that includes conference space, workshop areas, parking, living quarters, dining hall and centrally located within the United States that will be conducive for all attendees than I might have the perfect place for you. Have you ever considered the Arrowmont School of Arts in Gatlinbug, Tennessee. I have attended a conference there before and enjoyed all apsects that it had to offer. This would be an excellent opportunity to introduce the product to a new venue and possibly get on their schedule of events. They rent out their facilities to groups at a nominal fee and can house a small group up to a large group or complete conference. Just a thought. I live in Louisiana and would make that trip with no problem. Their web site is www.arrowmont.org (http://www.arrowmont.org)

tierman
01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Sure would like to see the conference more centrally located though.

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I voted for June as well. By June both the university I work and and our local school system are done.

mtylerfl
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I voted for early May, but have changed my mind. June is starting to sound pretty good to me too!

LittleRedWoodshop
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm with Jeff and Michael .... I know things will be much easier for some other folks as well.

Capt Bruce
02-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Either May or June is good for me, and I too vote for the "NO FLOODED CENTRAL US OPTION" because then I won't have to beg for time away from FEMA. Even last year was touch and go right up to the week in Pasadena and then I was off for three months duty in Tennessee as the floods moved South. I do like the suggestion of the Arrowmont School of Arts in Gatlinbug, Tennessee, although that would prevent any chance to tour the factory for new attendees and put the travel burden on your home team. It's gonna be great again no matter where or when. Sign me up Lynnfrwd!

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I voted no go... I just don't get excited about Flying anymore.... I would be a 2 seater too... so double the ticket cost... LOL....

The Video Option if done right is the ticket to me... One where audience questions are picked up by "Hot Mikes" setup in the Seating Area... Nothing like getting the answer and not knowing the question... Something like that could be made to pay for itself in DVD Sales... A year round item in the store that would peek the interest to new users... Even a video of the "Famous" Tours...

Good Luck,

AL

stanv77
02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I would like to see the conference in early may.

AllThingsWood
02-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Lynnfwd:
Do you have any idea for the range of dates that you are looking at? I need to plan ahead so I can get time off from daytime job, and I need as much advance notice as possible. It would help a lot of us in planning. Thanks

lynnfrwd
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Lynnfwd:
Do you have any idea for the range of dates that you are looking at? I need to plan ahead so I can get time off from daytime job, and I need as much advance notice as possible. It would help a lot of us in planning. Thanks

I am in contact now with a hotel. No date has been decided for sure. I should be hearing from them today. I will be trying for late June. We have had several requests that it not be during school time, so that our instructors from middle & high schools can come. We also want to avoid graduation dates in early June. Waiting too long after that, gets into the heat of summer (not to mention Hurricane Season).