PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator

Ed
01-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi - looking to see if anyone has experience with Adobe Illustrator when importing Illustrator files into the CarveWright software, or even if the file types are compatible. A search shows Photoshop is used by many, but I haven't found anyone posting on the Illustrator topic yet.

BobHill
01-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm very familiar with Adobe Illustrator and have used it since version 4 up to CW. As with any vector graphics program, however, once you have your design completed you need to convert it to a JPEG, PNG, BMP or take it into PhotoShop to make compatable as a raster for Designer.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Jon Jantz
01-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Ed, I'm familiar with Illustrator also, but much more proficient at Coreldraw... there are probably more people using Coreldraw due to the lower price...

BUT.... most of those discussions about Coreldraw can be directly applied to Illustrator... while it may take a different tool or two, the overall concept will apply to either program.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I have Illustrater, but never used it. Seems daunting for an old woodworker to try and master. :?

BobHill
01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Pkunk,

If you have Illustrator on your MAC (what version) actually once you get the hang of "frame" architecture and using the menus, it's not all that hard to learn. Do you have the manuals for it? Go slow and it'll take on shape in the learning process. Very handy tool to use, that's for sure. And especially if you already have the software ... what a bonus for you in the design dept.

And here and there I might be able to get you over some of the rough spots.

Bob

pkunk
01-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Pkunk,

If you have Illustrator on your MAC (what version) actually once you get the hang of "frame" architecture and using the menus, it's not all that hard to learn. Do you have the manuals for it? Go slow and it'll take on shape in the learning process. Very handy tool to use, that's for sure. And especially if you already have the software ... what a bonus for you in the design dept.

And here and there I might be able to get you over some of the rough spots.

Bob
Illustrator CS v.11.0.0 for Mac. Thanks, I may have some questions but I have to do something before a question will arise. :?

BobHill
01-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Adobe Illustrator CS version. Great, PK. Also if you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstore close by you, check into the Adobe Classroom in a Book series (Illustrator). It has some nice tutorial chapters on particularly the basics. Well worth the price and effort. You have a great software and it would be too bad not to put it to use.

Bob

Ed
01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your Illustrator comments. I have the Illustrator/Photoshop package for the PC, I certainly am a bit rusty since I haven't used it for almost a year, - a lot of my files and/or drawings are on it since I can import them into BobCAD. Because I am rusty with Illustrator I didn't want to try importing stuff into the CarveWright software if people have had problems, not knowing if it's me or software problems. By the end of this week I should have it reloaded into my new computer. And for the guy who (mis)thinks he's too old to learn Illustrator - if my wee old brain can do it - you can! :-) I've had great luck moving files between Photoshop - Illustrator - BobCAD. The last time I used Corel Draw it gave me problems, but that was WAY back when Corel was having problems staying in business - I hear the product has come a million miles since then and I would go to it if it wasn't for the investment (time & $) I already have in Illustrator. Again, thanks guys.

BobHill
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Don't forget "Classroom in a Book" - Illustrator, Ed. That'll get you back up to speed pretty quickly. since BobCAD is a local company here I have talked to them (and have their demo and tutoring DVD), but after talking with their chief engineer, it doesn't work for the CarveWright, so they have stopped trying to sell me the whole package. It does look pretty good though for other CNC hardware.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Ed
01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Bob Hill - good idea; I'm sure in the last year+ books have been updated too! I have a CNC machine BobCAD made about 4 - 5 years ago and obviously their software is very compatible. BobCAD used to be an excellant buy, however, they aren't much less expensive than AutoCAD anymore. I am guessing (literally) that BobCAD compiles only G Code which is the CNC standard - which is what customers want 99% of the time - however, I think I read Carvewright's "Pro" coming out is a G Code compiler - this info is only my bad memory and a guess, so please check carefully if you want to do anything with this information, please. Bob - if you want anything else - eedavis5@aol.com

BobHill
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
We'll see what the future brings, Ed.

Bob

cajunpen
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Can you of you Coreldraw experts recommend the version that would be best for getting started? I just looked at their site and it was a little overwhelming - Thanks in advance for the recommendation.

BobHill
01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Bill,

Pretty much, vector is vector when you compare the biggie programs. In the order of preference not considering money, but ease of constructing designs would be CorelDraw, but the only way you can purchase it is via the complete suite ($379). A lot of money, but you certainly get your money's worth with the complete package ... however if the only thing you really need or want it for is to create designs for the CarveWright, it's too much in money and product (IMNSHO). Having said that I've had it for many years and wouldn't do without it. ( www.coreldraw.com ) Downloadable demo available.

The next recommendation, as I've said before, is a little known program, but as powerful for vector illustrations is Xara Xtreme ($79) and if anything, within the vector attributes, it actually has more raster options than CorelDraw, except that Corel's PhotoPaint takes up that slack and more so ... but at a lot heavier price. http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/ There is also a PRO version of Xara Xtreme ($199), but for CarveWright purposes, completely not necessary. My recommendation for the budget minded and it'll do you very will for much more than necessary just for CarveWright.

And the last recommendation is Adobe Illustrator ($499) which is the choice for most professional illustrator particularly for the print world. It's an excellent program, but well overpriced and not particularly intuitive for just starting out in vector graphics for use with the CarveWright ... but certainly will do the job if one has access to it. This also has a downloadable demo available http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

Some clipart does come with all three programs, but the order I've listed them gives progressively the most, with CorelDraw having the most, Xara next, and Illustrator the least.

I haven't mentioned the CAD programs, as those that are into CAD are NOT new to the field and would have a special place in their mind for keeping to them, I'm sure. The good ones are not cheap or easy to learn for someone new to the vector graphics world.

Bob

Julie Coffey
01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Bob- quick question for you. Are you aware of any differences between the Academic version of Corel Draw3x and the commercial version? I know for instance Maya has a 'watermark' embedded in the final product- rendering it unusable for 'commercial use'.

Just curious if you have any thoughts.

My son is taking graphic design in College though they don't use this program he can get it. And he reminded me my birthday's coming up in about 8 months.

Julie

BobHill
01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Julie,

As with all software programs that I'm aware of (at least in the graphic field) ALL educational versions are exactly like the full versions. About the only difference is if the educational version is under a license for a number of stations, in which case they don't usually supply all the material with each individual license, but the initial one. If it's a student purchasing it, then it's the full version AND there are NO restructions on it's use, as some people believe. It's yours and it carries all upgrade rights as well. You do, of course have to be a legit student or instructor at a qualified school (primary grades probably won't cut it), as it sounds like you are. Of course if you have a student or teacher in your family .... and so on ....

Bob