PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text Depth Problems

sdb986
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

I've done a TON of centerline text carvings, and am having some new issues. I'm trying to carve some pretty simple address signs, but the problem is, the farther it goes width wise, the less deep the carving becomes, until eventually it disappears. Any ideas on what I should check for/do to remedy this problem?

Thanks!

AskBud
12-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey guys,

I've done a TON of centerline text carvings, and am having some new issues. I'm trying to carve some pretty simple address signs, but the problem is, the farther it goes width wise, the less deep the carving becomes, until eventually it disappears. Any ideas on what I should check for/do to remedy this problem?

Thanks!It would be nice to see a photo of your carve as well as seeing the MPC. Seeing both will really assist in our thinking pattern.

What chuck do you have? Did you use a sled or just the project board?
AskBud

sdb986
12-13-2011, 10:12 PM

There is the MPC. I cannot attach a photo as my camera is not with me (and I'm away from the home base). The best I can describe it is this: The "T" and most of "The" are normal depth. The further to the right you go, the less depth you have. Starting at the "G" in "Speagle" the world "Speagle" goes away completely. The above letters follow suit at a similar rate. For example, the 3 is basically non existent.

EDIT: I have the QC, and I did not use a sled, just an Oak 1x12. 25 inches long.

AskBud
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM

There is the MPC. I cannot attach a photo as my camera is not with me (and I'm away from the home base). The best I can describe it is this: The "T" and most of "The" are normal depth. The further to the right you go, the less depth you have. Starting at the "G" in "Speagle" the world "Speagle" goes away completely. The above letters follow suit at a similar rate. For example, the 3 is basically non existent.

EDIT: I have the QC, and I did not use a sled, just an Oak 1x12. 25 inches long.I presume that you are using a board at least 7+ inches longer than your MPC, and staying under the rollers. I also presume that your board is of equal thickness end to end.

Oak is hard, and centerline numbers over 4 inches tall will require a very sharp V-bit. Even then, the bit could heat up and slip in the adapter. Hopefully it's as simple as that!
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Loud Buzzer Sound...... Aaaaahhhhhhhhh...

Been There Done That..... Son... Your Head is no longer LEVEL.....

Quick Test per Ask Bud.... place 1 inch wide strips of paper on each side of the board left and right.... Crank the head down.... Pull the paper... One will stick and one will pull out....

Under the Machine is a Cross Connect Rod.... Between the sand paper belts... It transfers the hand crank from keypad side to far side... The 90 degree Gears UNDER the machine are held together by screws.... They Loosen and let the Cross Connect SKIP some TEETH... Hence One Drive Screw moves the head and the other Watches.... Now you have a un level head.... Remove one side crank the head level replace cross connect....

I like to place a board in the machine and touch the board left and right and read the Z DATA.... Should be the SAME....

Another thing that I have had cause this is the Screws on the BOTTOM of the machine that go into the 4 SMOOTH Vertical Rails get LOOSE.... This lets the head move UP when Cranked Down making for Disappearing Text....

With all this COLD Weather if you are having a hard time moving the head up and down, it's time to clean the smooth rails and 2 jacking screws and re lubricate..... I use chain Lube with Molly.... Works for ME.... Everyone has a favorite Lube.... Darn.... That Sounds almost d i r t y....

Sleep....

Good Luck..... Another 2 AM WAG.... Wild AL Guess.....

AL Who

sdb986
12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Here are the results from the carve. I tried it twice. I'm also getting a wacky problem now with measuring the depth of the board. It will tell me that the depth is anywhere from .965 to 5 inches. I had this problem once before and tech said that the card needed reformating. That time I did it and it worked. Now, I keep doing it and it won't seem to recalibrate. I think this picture will clearly show the disappearing text issues clearly. I posted the .mpc in a previous post for reference. Neither one of these are even close to being right. 498214982249823

Digitalwoodshop
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
WELL.... Since it is loosing depth in the Length of the Board.... The answer is simple..... The V 90 bit is DULL.... It is loosing pulses trying to cut down into the OAK..... Time for a NEW Bit.... Or Sharpen... See the BLACK Burned Text.

ALSO you need to open the back of the Z Encoder and look for DUST.... BLow it out..... Clean the clear disk carefully...

YOU may also have the Screws LOOSE that hold the Z BELT in the back. I have had that twice.... Both with Refurbished Trucks from LHR back in 2008.

I would be sure to turn off the machine between ERRORS.... Let it re boot...

Let us know.... So your head is LEVEL CORRECT... Since you did not mention it.

SOME Fonts require you to put a Space Bar Space BEFORE AND AFTER THE LETTERS. I bet there is more to that 2....

AL

sdb986
12-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, Al. That bit has been burning Oak since the day I got it. The head is level...i forgot to mention that. I will check the Z belt screws next. Thanks!