PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw tutorial questionnaire...

Jon Jantz
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I posted a little tutorial a week or so back about digitising logos in Coreldraw and a few of you downloaded it.

I have redone the cover sheet on it to add the (C)... I had forgotten it on the first (although it is copyrighted)... and also moved the video quality down a little bit to get the file size down from 160 mb to about 30 mb.

If a few of you want to download it again, let me know and I'll get you the link for it. I'm still working on the server bandwidth situation, so for right now, just send me a private message or let me know here and I'll let you know the address...

In return, I ask that you post what you think so I can have some feedback for several more that I'm working on.

A few have told me I worked too fast in this first one, so I'm actually in the process of redoing it just a little slower, with more explanation and making sure everyone can see all the clicks...

A few of the things I'd like to know:

Was the video helpful in explaining the process?
What did you think about the speed, was it too fast?
Would you be interested in some more tutorials, showing how to do certain projects, etc?

Thanks, all.

Carl Anderson
01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm new to this forum and new to the CarveWright, ( even though I've had the machine since September), just now have the time to use it. Anyway I am interested in the tutorial you have put together, As a rooky to both Corel Draw and the CarveWright. I think that I could give you some usefull honest feedback.

rgant05
01-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Not sure exactly where you want the feed back. I posted one on the other thread, but want to make sure you get my 2 cents LOL

It was extremely helpful in explaining the process. Not sure it I could go to Corel right this minute if I had it and do it without a watch and turn around and try it and then watch some more.... but thats my problem, not yours.

It was fast, but having it on the computer I could go back and watch it again and again, so I don't consider that a weak point although I might like it a little slower.

Yes, would like to see more tutorials and wouldn't mind if some of them were with the Designer software also, but would like to see various projects such as processing photos for carving, and other technique related task that others have accopmplished. It is really a great learning tool to be able to download the mpc files, just to see the various techniques that I might not otherwise have thought of.

I will try to think of some other techniques that I have seen that were unclear to me by looking at them.

Thanks for you fantastic work and dedication to the forum

Roger

P.S. Had trouble loading Corel 6 on Windows XP (stalled at registering fonts), so I have been hitting it hard on ebay to try to get the latest version. May even pay for part of my Compucarve with the proceeds :)

Jon Jantz
01-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks Rgant..

That's exactly what I was looking for.... thanks for the kind words.

I'm using a trial version of the video software, and I was going to go ahead and buy the program to keep doing a few if there was interest.

Thanks,

Jon

Lin
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Jon, HAving never used Corel Draw...Only Adobe Photoshop and Panit Shop Pro 7...Will this tutorial help me a bit thru the learning process of Corel Draw 11. I have that version and Illustrator 10 on my system and at some point planned to take an online class for Corel Draw. I have done that with Paint Shop Pro several years ago and it did help a lot with understanding the software...I'm asking because I'm on dial-up. I would like to download your tutorial but want to know ahead of tiem if this will help me learn the software itself or is it just based towards using it with designer? I can do the download during the night and get it all...hopefully with out a gllitch. Let me know please...one way or another and the link if it will be useful to me in my learning process.
Thanks,
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Jon,

I couldn't get it to run at first then I looked and I had not un zipped it yet. That did the trick. In a quick overview "VERY NICE" !!!! I need to watch it again and again and study the steps.

I am still learning Corel Draw 12 for my Sublimation and Laser Engraving Business and this is just what I need to get up to speed on what to do when I get my machine.

Yes, it was very quick, but the audio and detail is very good. I have a few CD's and books on learning Corel Draw and they say things slow and in great detail. They say things like, "I am going to click here to make my outline yellow so it's easier to see". "You can do this by...... and what you see here is your work place in Corel Draw." "I am going to open a file and import a Bit Map to work on, this is how I do it." "Selecting this_____ gives you access to your files, notice that it is labeled as a .bmp which tells you it is a Bit Map"

You have made a VERY NICE presentation, and WE all thank you for doing this for us and hope for more videos. Back in 95, I made a how to, VCR video, on how to use eBay for some friends. So I have some idea what you are facing. I did it on a WEBTV..... Wow that's old... Worked for Sony at the time so it was cheap......

In making other videos, the best feedback I can give you is to do it like you are teaching a 3rd grader... When it comes to teaching the software steps explain everything. In the back of your mind picture me with my hand up in class asking "WHY" to everything and anticipate questions. I am sure most 3rd graders could teach entry level computer classes now. I have the benefit of having been a Electronics Instructor in my Navy days. The advice we received in Instructor School was to teach the topic with the slowest student in mind. It lets the more experienced users just click off the steps in there brain as you do it and the slower students see all the logical steps to doing something in chronological order.

I would like to add my name to your distribution list please. Topics I am also interested in is making signs from scratch to finish. Also interested in the manipulating the text and the drilling function. I would like to be able to drill holes in the bottom of a V Carve letter to provide a place for lights.

Thanks again for your effort. AL

Malfunction
01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
i don't even use coreldraw (or any other drawing program) and i found it quite informative. i know i am going to have to learn my way around in a drawing program and just watching you work showed me what i need to learn. thank you.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Jon, if your tutorial would help me understand how to use Illustrator, I'd like to have a copy. Thanks

Jeff_Birt
01-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I will again offer kudo to Jon. After watching the vide a few times I was able to create the tow truck image and rounded lettering for this sign. I only widh I had the editing cabability on imported images that other are talking about. Would make touching things up easyier.

nodwell
01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I would like a copy also..

Don

jeri4519
01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I am new to this machine and first post. Picked it up Friday, but have not taken out of the box yet. Other projects have to be done first.

I have used CorelDraw from back in the early 386 days. I love it and swear by it, but I have very little experiences with grayscale issues. I really am interested in what you have to say. Your work shows that the extra work is worth it.

Bob

poteetjr
01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I would like to see your video; I have 6 days left before my free trail expires. This will be a big player on whether I buy or not.

Jon Jantz
01-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Check your private messages, Poteetjr...

Wow, if this makes the difference maybe I need to get commission on the unit they sell you!! LOL

Later, Jon

dcozort
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey jon sent you a P.M. about video ... I downloaded a trail version of coreldraw and paint and capture.... never had any experence with graphics programs your video would surey help Thanks Dennis

HighTechOkie
01-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Great job Jon! I agree that you go too fast to keep up with. Otherwise you are very thorough. I would be willing to pay for more tutorials like this.

As a side note, I think if you reduce the video resolution to 800x600, you should be able to cut your video file size down by 1/3.

Rob

Cliff
01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Looked good and was educational, I've owned Corel and Adobe PhotoShop for years and, while waiting for my CW, decided to upgade them both to the latest. I've used them both for photo touch-up and some creative mods but nothing like the graphics CW requires. The tutorial help me understand a few things and I was lucky to download it so I can review it and pause it when I'm trying something. Now I need a graphics tablet because this mouse thing and free hand just don't go together. I'd read the manual for CorelDraw X3 but it doesn't come with one.

kyeakel
01-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Jon,
I'd like to try your video. How do I get it?

Kipp

dcozort
01-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Jon Very good .... The only thing I need to figure out is all the mouse moves as well as the options for corel .....I still don't know the commands... i Will study... The video was fantastic... So for us very slow learners as you move the mouse to the tool go slow and say what tool it is... For me an example would be a step by step written down like... 1) Trace your figure.. 2) select the _____ tool an separate this item... Ect,Ect, .... that way I could print it. I know this takes time but one guy said eariler he would be willing to pay for it.... I to would be happy to send money for tec trainning... Thanks again Dennis.... P.S. went to books a million to find a book on corel.... no luck I'll keep trying....

jeri4519
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Jon, Would you believe, while I was watching your presentation I felt my stomach start to hurt - long story a lot shorter I spent the night sick with a one day virus. I loved how you did it. I will look at it agian today, or tomorrow, when I come back to the living.

Bob

kyeakel
01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Jon,
Nice job! I will be trying to apply this technique once my corel draw arrives. Will you be doing others? Will you be keeping them at allcw.com? What happens on a more complex drawing, one without straight lines? Is there an easy way to select areas to brighten/darken or apply the contour too. I've been trying to do a USMC plaque, I want to raise the anchor, globe and eagle to different heights. I guess I have to trace each one of these elements and change their grayscale color and then apply the countour? Could you have used the power trace feature of X3?

Sorry for all the questions, I see alot of possibilities with this!

Thanks,

Carl Anderson
01-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Jon, thank you so much it is a very informative video and most helpful in getting me started with Corel DrawX3, I agree with most of the others in this forum, that the only fault is that it moves a bit too fast. That's why there is a pause button, so not a huge issue. Be sure to let us know if/when you do another. As most will be interested. Yourc time and effort are appreciated.

JBarr
01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Where is this new version located?

Tobarge
01-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Jon,
Thanks from all of us learning about this exciting product. Sure beats the hand held router, especially if your not a good speller!

I would be grateful for a copy of the tutorial!

Todd

mcky1models
01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
i would realy like a copy .

PorterC
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Jon,
I would like to download a copy of your tut, sounds very good. I am very good with Corel am am very curious about how it works with CW. please send the link to porter@cnsassociates.net
thanks again

saarf
01-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Jon,
I liked the tutorial and waiting for my Coreldraw and will try for myself. Thanks for all the work and especially for sharing.
thanks,
Fred

bjwisdom
01-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I have Corel & Adobe but I have no idea how to use them. I also would like to edit images for use in the Design program. I don't have a machine yet....Sears is sold out again but I am supposed to get an email when they arrive.....I'm on Carvewright's list as well.

BobHill
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
For Adobe Illustrator, I'd recommend that you get Adobe's "Classroom in a Book" series for Illustrator. It has some great basics and from there you can advance to Illustrator's WOW book series by Sharon Steuer (she's great) for advanced vector techniques. CorelDraw has some built in tutorials, and you can also get tutorials on HOW TO online, such as http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/coreldrawtutorials/ht/ but also check your local Barnes and Noble or Borders Bookseller stores. Perhaps even your local library for best on learning particular the basics of vector graphics. Local community colleges also sometimes have night courses (I used to teach at one of those).

Bob

bjwisdom
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll work on some of the tutorials. I'd also like to get Jon's tutorial!

Jon Jantz
01-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the interest in the tutorials...

I've sent the link to some of you, but didn't have the bandwidth available to broadcast it...

I'm setting up a site to make all these available and they will be there very soon... it is www.allcw.com

For you that I haven't sent the link to, please bear with me another day or so, and the video will be available there...

Thanks!!
Jon

dpowli
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Jon,
I tried the tutorial on allcw.com with both Real Player and Windows Media player. All I get is the audio, no video. Any special "tricks" needed to see the video? Am very much looking forward to your instruction.

Thanks.

Azbear
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM
John, I also would like a copy. Anything that can help me, I'll take it. Is there a fee for this?