PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Chain Lube w/ Moly

lpj1019
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone but I wasn't able to find a chain lube that actually has "with Moly" printed on the front of the can.....I used a Liquid Wrench once that had the Moly in the ingredient listing but it wasn't on the front of the can.....anyway, I burnt up my flex shaft.....lol

My newer shaft came and I've been running it for about 6 months and I'm ready to maintain it......again after searching O'Rileys, Peep Boys and Auto Zone, Meijer.....I've looked everywhere for it and just shocked that I couldn't find it until and by chance I stopped at the local GRAINGER.....before I retired we found everything at Grainger and I'll be damn if it wasn't right at the door when I walked in, MOLY CHAIN LUBE.....lol.....and right beside that in big ole letters was DRY LUBE.....so if anyone has a problem finding a chain lube "with Moly".....go to your local Grainger store.

chebytrk
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
someone mentioned liquid graphite too?

mtylerfl
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
someone mentioned liquid graphite too?

Yeah, I think Chris R. uses spray graphite on the four upright posts...not positive if he uses that on the flex core - I think so. I was told the flex cores come from the factory with graphite lube already embedded in them - it's part of the manufacturing process. I use the Chain Lube w/ Moly...the one can will last me a lifetime. On one machine, the flex core has been lubed once...the other machine, only twice, in five years.

dltccf
12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't know if this will help anyone but I wasn't able to find a chain lube that actually has "with Moly" printed on the front of the can.....I used a Liquid Wrench once that had the Moly in the ingredient listing but it wasn't on the front of the can.....anyway, I burnt up my flex shaft.....lol

My newer shaft came and I've been running it for about 6 months and I'm ready to maintain it......again after searching O'Rileys, Peep Boys and Auto Zone, Meijer.....I've looked everywhere for it and just shocked that I couldn't find it until and by chance I stopped at the local GRAINGER.....before I retired we found everything at Grainger and I'll be damn if it wasn't right at the door when I walked in, MOLY CHAIN LUBE.....lol.....and right beside that in big ole letters was DRY LUBE.....so if anyone has a problem finding a chain lube "with Moly".....go to your local Grainger store.

Liquid wrench changed the label and the formula in 2009. From my experience, the new formula doesn't do the job. Did the can you got a Grainger say it was Liquid wrench or Gunk brand? if so it is just pre 2009 stock and you were lucky to get it. If not, what brand is it?

lpj1019
12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Liquid wrench changed the label and the formula in 2009. From my experience, the new formula doesn't do the job. Did the can you got a Grainger say it was Liquid wrench or Gunk brand? if so it is just pre 2009 stock and you were lucky to get it. If not, what brand is it?

dltccf.....the manufacture is "Sprayon" (Moly Chain Lube).....I coil the shaft and place it in the bottom of a old cool whip container and let it soak for a day or two and then I hang it to dry for a day wiping off any excess before reinstalling. I also purchased a can of dry lube, manufacture "Blue Works".....both carried at Grainger.

cnsranch
12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Here's the stuff, boys and girls....

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane-Cams/271/99002-1/10002/-1

You'll never use it all, and you'll never have problems with over-heating again.

SharonB
12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with Jerry. Crame Cams is the ticket for your flex shaft. I've been using it since it was first mentioned on the forum. I might lube once or twice a year and not because the flex shaft ever gets warm.... I do it just to clean out the covering. There seemed to be a problem finding a source there for awhile but it looks like Jerry has found that source.

cnsranch
12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
It is the bomb.....

And, it's nasty - wear rubber gloves or you'll have that stuff in every fingerprint you got for a long time.

You'll use MAYBE 1/10th of an ounce per application - it'll last forever.

No more soaking, no more dripping, no more burned up bearings on the Top Hat......

lpj1019
12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
thanks for the info.....I'll give it a try next time to see if I notice a difference......sounds like I will

edzbaker
12-19-2011, 04:14 PM
That is GREAT Stuff for the flex shaft. The company that I work for purchases it in 400lb drums. When the drums are empty, they still have about 5lbs in them, so I have a never ending supply. Let me know if you need some, and can't find it anywhere.

Ed

cnsranch
12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Ed - you're sitting on a gold mine.......

At $4 an ounce, 5 pounds is worth $320 to us CW folks.

I'd invest in some small baggies and offer 'em up!!!

cwm
12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Folks,

I can't find liquid wrench with molly either, however I have some liquid wrench with silicone is it as good ?

fwharris
12-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Folks,

I can't find liquid wrench with molly either, however I have some liquid wrench with silicone is it as good ?

No it is not good if it does not have the molly..

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
It will cost you $75.00 for a new Flex and $15.00 Shipping if you don't get the molly...

AL

A Picture someone else posted. See the word MOLLY on the right side under Rope...

A little Navy Trivia... Wire Rope is just Wire Cable... On every Navy Ship they have Lifelines made from Wire Rope. Imagine my surprise when I was on my first ship over in Japan in 1977 and was assigned maintenance on the life lines with a brown grease with a number of MIL-G-18458.... With 18458 being my hometown Zip code.....

edzbaker
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Jerry, Siting on a gld mine....lol I just mailed some to Greg S. in a Flat rate postal box. (nearly a pound) and the shipping was only $5.20. I hope he lets us all know what he thinks of it when he uses it. I have used ALL of the other stuff in the past, and nothing performs like this when it comes to keeping the core cool, PLUS it doesn't drip into the bearings of the Z-Truck. I'm not trying to sell it, just trying to help out if someone can't find it elsewhere.

Merry Christmas to ALL !

Ed

I forgot to mention that Greg generously tossed in a few extra bucks besides the shipping charges. Thanks again Greg.

ktjwilliams
12-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Sounds Like Good stuff,,, I have been using DRY MOLY spray.. Pull the shaft, hang it, spray it, ready to go back in the machine in minutes... Since I made that switch, the shaft temp is barely noticable to the touch.. Before the switch the shaft was running pretty hot !!

chebytrk
12-25-2011, 07:50 AM
where does one find the dry Molly spray?

Sounds Like Good stuff,,, I have been using DRY MOLY spray.. Pull the shaft, hang it, spray it, ready to go back in the machine in minutes... Since I made that switch, the shaft temp is barely noticable to the touch.. Before the switch the shaft was running pretty hot !!

easybuilt
12-25-2011, 02:19 PM
You can buy it on-line or at the Grainger like lpj1019 found at his local store.

Dry Moly Lube, 16 oz, Net 11 oz

Dry Moly Lube, Size 16 oz, Size/Net Weight 11 oz, Temp Range Up to 650 F, Flash Point Less Than 0 F, Specific Gravity 0.7100, Film Type Dry, Hydrocarbon Propellant, Specially-formulated Dry Film Lubricant Exhibits High Antifriction and Anti-seizure Properties, Fast-drying Film Resists High Temperatures, High Pressure, Water, Chemical Attack and Dirt and Dust Buildup

Grainger Item #
2F138

Your Price (ea.)
$10.03

ktjwilliams
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I found it online... Don't remember the website... When I need more I'll just google " DRY MOLY LUBE " ... Originally I would get it from work but lost that option when I retired... I used it on a lot of stuff... From my miter slots on the table saw to the bed of my thickness planer !!! Great stuff,, just don't get it on ur fingers,, LOL !!

Kevin

CNC Carver
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Ed

Thanks for the lube it worked great and will be around for the rest of my life. A little dab covers the whole shaft.

Jeff

Jerry, Siting on a gld mine....lol I just mailed some to Greg S. in a Flat rate postal box. (nearly a pound) and the shipping was only $5.20. I hope he lets us all know what he thinks of it when he uses it. I have used ALL of the other stuff in the past, and nothing performs like this when it comes to keeping the core cool, PLUS it doesn't drip into the bearings of the Z-Truck. I'm not trying to sell it, just trying to help out if someone can't find it elsewhere.

Merry Christmas to ALL !

Ed

I forgot to mention that Greg generously tossed in a few extra bucks besides the shipping charges. Thanks again Greg.

Shawnpete
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Just wondering if anybody has tried using anti seize on the flex shaft? You can buy it in the moly based paste. Seems like it should work? Maybe I'll be the first to try it. Traditional anti seize is so messy. That would be the only thing from keeping me from trying it.

chebytrk
05-25-2012, 08:52 AM
I sure hope that anyone going to the Conference and has extra cans of Flex Shaft Lube, will take it there to sell. I sure would be interested in buying a can from someone while I'm there. I'm fully prepared to get in "the dog house" cause I'm buying me all kinds of stuff while I'm there. ;)

easybuilt
05-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Hey Jerry I will bring you a can from Washington!

chebytrk
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Great! I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks a bunch...
JerryB

sail
08-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I was just about to make a small PVC tube to hold chain oil with lithium mixed in. Cap on one end, threaded plug on the other. Soak the drive shaft in it. Wipe it off and re-install. I think I could use it 5 or ten times before replacement of oil.
The spray on stuff sounds easier and with the testimonies posted here, I'm tempted to just run up to Graingers. I have the pipe, the chain lube and the lithium. Just need the two end stoppers.
Anybody think one is better than the other?

Dry Moly Lube, Size 16 oz, Size/Net Weight 11 oz, Temp Range Up to 650 F, Flash Point Less Than 0 F, Specific Gravity 0.7100, Film Type Dry, Hydrocarbon Propellant, Specially-formulated Dry Film Lubricant Exhibits High Antifriction and Anti-seizure Properties, Fast-drying Film Resists High Temperatures, High Pressure, Water, Chemical Attack and Dirt and Dust Buildup

Grainger Item #
2F138

Your Price (ea.)
$10.03

[/QUOTE]

Digital_WoodWerks
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Are there any different grades of dry moly lube, or if you say to grainger give me a can of dry moly lube, it it the same as recommended for the machine. I just called them and even having an account, my price was over $2. more for the 11 ox can. Inflation or location?

Digital_WoodWerks
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Grainger also had 5 different brands that ranged from $8. to $14. +. I ended up ordering the crc for $12.

DickB
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
CarveWright now has lube available for $5 plus shipping.

Alan Malmstrom
11-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I just finished up carving a pinewood derby car for my son and I bought some of this graphite powder with molybdemum.

Anybody know if this would work on the flex shaft.