PDA

View Full Version : Load bit

davidbf
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know why my machine keeps telling me to load the bit ? The machine gets to finding surface
then says load bit. It dose'nt matter how many times I try to make a carving it just keeps saying load bit.

mtylerfl
12-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know why my machine keeps telling me to load the bit ? The machine gets to finding surface
then says load bit. It dose'nt matter how many times I try to make a carving it just keeps saying load bit.

It's possible the bit plate is not swinging out enough for the bit to touch-down properly during the homing process. Download the CW Troubleshooting Guide for things to check (page 24)...http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Maintenence/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

davidbf
12-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Michael,
I'll check the guide. The plate the bit touches swings out like it should but, when I touch it the end will go down more than 1/8th inch. I don't know if it should do this or not and I don't think plate on my last machine went down like this.

Thanks
David

Ike
12-11-2011, 12:53 PM
David, could you be more a bit more clearer? When it goes to check the the bit you say the bit plate comes out and the chuck does not go down far enough? Or is the the plate coming out and the bit is missing it as it goes down?

Have you tried giving the bit plate a little lube? Or turning off the machine waiting about a minute and by hand moving the Z plate/ chuck towards the bit plate? It should move smoothly without jerking or any obstructions. Also check to see if the chuck is moving up and down smoothly and the Z motor sounds smooth. If the all is smooth and the bit is going far enough to the bit plate and not touching. But is over the the plate check to see if it is loose or at the very least it may have bent a little and you need to tape a penny on the touch spot or bend it up very carefully! ( Only do this if you feel comfortable, I had to do it with one of my CW and it worked. By no means am I saying to do this and I am saying this to avoid any future conflicts)

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
1/8 cutting bit? Could be loaded too LONG....

AL

davidbf
12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Good Mornin Ike,
I will try adding the penny to the bit plate like you said & let you know how it works out .

David

davidbf
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Al,
Thanks for the info & thanks to everyone for the help!!!
David