PDA

View Full Version : Help with software

dick
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Help
I am trying to input a gear I had in another program. I opened it in paint and put it on the clip board. Opened carvewright and set up a wood size for it, then went to inport and download the gear from the clipboard.
Resized the picture went and saved it to a new file under pictures. every think worked to this point. Closed the file BUT the gear did not come up in carvewright. tryed ti 3 times but still it will not come up.

What is wrong? can not inport. I have created a sigh in crave wright and have used my machine , so I know it works. Programversion # 1.115

dick

Aaron B
01-20-2007, 07:58 PM
You might try saving the file and then importing it that way instead of from clipboard and see if that helps.

wallyign
01-21-2007, 08:59 AM
I make wooden clock gears with CW. I start with a paper plan of the gear and scan it and save it as a gif file. Use Photoshop and zoom in and make sure that the outline of the gear is continous. If you find holes in the outline fill them in with black. Then I color fill the gear with black, then select and copy the black gear only and save it as another gif file.

Open Designer and use file import and import the image and save it. Now select the image and place it on your board, center, put rectangle around it, select carve region. Select gear and select view and toggle propesptive view off and lighting top center. Set depth to .1 or .2 and select Outline Pattern. Check on the left in Carving list to see if it outlined the gear correctly. Test by clicking on each outline pattern and see if it is closed by looking at the cut path icon at top of screen to see if Cut Path is not dimmed out. If it is the that path is not closed so select it and delete it. Keep doing this until you have only closed paths. If your gear is not completely selected undo all cut paths, change the depth of gear and try cut path again.

Once the gear is completely selected, click on a path in the carving list on left and select cut path icon. You may need to flip cut to cut inside the line or outside the line. Select hide cutout. Repeat until all is left is your gear.

Sorry this is long nd wordy. Hopefully this is will answer your question.

Wally

wallyign
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry I forgot to include that once you place and center the gear in Designer, you then set the size of gear by placing size in size boxes above gear.
Then proceed
Wally

dick
01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks every body for the help, this thing will take some time to learn how to get around'

dick