PDA

View Full Version : y axis stalls - rough travel across y axis during carves

grinanbarrett
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok, I had thought I had found the answer to my own problems in a couple of different threads, but so far I am still having the same issues.

When I start a new project, and start loading the bits for the project, you can hear, see, and feel a very jerky travel in the y axis.
if you continue through the loading of bits, and then start the carve, about 6 to 10 passes are made, and then the dreaded y axis stall occurs.

I had read that the gears in the y axis drive may be worn, or even the bearings. I removed the y motor pack, cleaned the y belt very well, inspected it for wear, of which there were no apparent issues.

I then went to the gears and bearings, there was a small amount of sawdust in this gear box, I cleaned it out, removed the large gear and shaft, and inspected the bearings, there is no apparent wear or damage there either.

After reassembling everything, I am still having the same issue.

Now I am to the bearings on the y truck. I am assuming that this is the next logical step in the process.

My question is how do I know these bearing are bad? Are just the bearings replaceable, or am I looking at a totally new y truck?

I have experienced a wide range of issues during my carvewright ownership, but feel that it is still a good system, if you have the time, and some mechanical skills to keep it all running correctly.

As usual, any help from the other carvewright gurus would be appreciated.

grinan barrett

DickB
12-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I had the same symptoms. Did what you did, even replaced the Y motor. It was the truck bearings. I had to completely remove the truck to find this. The bearings appeared to be fine while installed, but after removing the truck i could tell that 2 of 4 bearings were sticking. I ordered replacements, but while waiting for delivery decided to try cleaning the sticky ones. That worked for me. I never did install the replacement bearings. So, I suggest you remove the truck and check the bearings. They should spin freely - that is, give them a spin, and they should keep turning for a few seconds. If not, try spraying some cleaner or WD40 in a pinch, and rotate the bearings by hand to free them up and work the dirt out. I actually removed the dust shield to clean mine, but that may not be necessary.

grinanbarrett
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the tip dickb, you were right on the money. I had one bearing totally seized, and another that was very tight. A little lubing and loving, and I am back up and carving again.

I will call tomorrow though, as I figure I will have this issue again, next time I will just replace the suspect bearings.

Again, thanks for the tip!

grinan barrett

Digitalwoodshop
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Darn.... I am starting to feel like the Matag Repairman.... GOOD JOB !!!!!

Late night.. Printing Tags due tomorrow.... Another Double Shift....

AL Who...

DickB
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tip dickb, you were right on the money. I had one bearing totally seized, and another that was very tight. A little lubing and loving, and I am back up and carving again.

I will call tomorrow though, as I figure I will have this issue again, next time I will just replace the suspect bearings.

Again, thanks for the tip!

grinan barrett
Sweet! Might as well get replacements on hand for when you eventually may need them.