PDA

View Full Version : Help with crossed scizzor/comb for hairstylist

Gary Koval
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I tried with Corel x3 to clean up a photo like attached pic. When I brought it into Designer it looked terrible. This is a gratis carve so any help is more than welcomed... It does not have to be this exact pic anything close that looks decent will work
Thanks, Gary4951549516

mtylerfl
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Gary,

Just outline the black areas at the size you need in X3, export the vectors as DXF (AutoCad 2004 dxf type), then import the DXF using the CW DXF Importer. Then you can create zero-depth carve regions within a recess region, or recess the closed vectors if you want the scissors/comb to be a recessed carve on a flat board.

I use the DXF Importer a LOT for simple things like this and for complex drawings as well. If you don't own the DXF Importer, then same procedure (outline the black areas in X3), but then fill them with black and export the drawing as a BMP or PNG at say 150 or 300 dpi. Then import the BMP or PNG into Designer.

We could do this for you, but then you won't learn anything on your own!

Kenm810
12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Gary,

I did as Michael T suggested, (outline the black areas, then filled them with black, added a little blur,
export the drawing as a PNG to my desk top, and then import the PNG into Designer.

eelamb
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Here is one too. Gary if you want this one send me a PM.

bergerud
12-03-2011, 01:38 PM
The reason it looks so bad is because the black is not really all black. If you do not have the dxf importer, trace the outline as MT suggested and simply fill it all in black before export as a png. (If that does not work, you may have to beg MT for help!)

Gary Koval
12-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks Fellas,
Michael, I don't have the DXF importer. And it is important for me to learn, I understand and want to... I normally don't have problems with my patterns and can usually live with the results. But after importing this into Corel X3 and spending over two hours cleaning it up, and having it look like that was just frustrating, so I came here.
Let me try to outline and fill-in as suggested by Ken and I'll get back...
Eddie, and Bergerud, before I do give up let me try as explained and see what happens,
Getting Frustrated,
Gary

Kenm810
12-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Gary,

I added the Ptn file to my earlier post
to help you see what it looks like.

Always willing to assist if I can

eelamb
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Gary after you clean up the image, did you save it as a JPG? If so the noise comes right back. Save it as a PNG or BMP. PNG allows transparent background, BMP does not. I always open the jpg image save as png, then work with the file. I believe the noise in jpg's has something to do with compression, others are better versed in this than I am.
Here is a render of the pattern image I posted earlier.

Dan-Woodman
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I'll add my .02 cents.

Gary Koval
12-05-2011, 06:24 AM
I GIVE UP!!! No matter what I do, I can't get them to look like any here. I am Corel X3 challenged so I downloaded Paint.net (the one Ken uses most often), still nothing. I wish to thank everyone here for their advice and patterns, I have put them all on the sign individually and will let the friend make the choice. I will keep on trying, just very frustrating to have a half way decent drawing program and not be able to use it to it's full potential for simple things like this...
Gary

Alan Malmstrom
12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I GIVE UP!!! No matter what I do, I can't get them to look like any here. I am Corel X3 challenged so I downloaded Paint.net (the one Ken uses most often), still nothing. I wish to thank everyone here for their advice and patterns, I have put them all on the sign individually and will let the friend make the choice. I will keep on trying, just very frustrating to have a half way decent drawing program and not be able to use it to it's full potential for simple things like this...
Gary

My Tutorials explain how you could do this using GIMP2. The same technique could probably be done in Corel but I don't own it and can't explain it.

In GIMP you could simply trace over the comb using the Free Selection tool. Make a new layer and paste in a forground color. Blur and nudge the selection in Quick Mask mode. Then pop it out using the Brightness/Contrast. Then do the same procedure again for the other two halves of the sissors.

If you learned the first 3 Tutorials which are free you could do this easily.

Alan