PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt out of the box

robboz4
01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I just wanted to try this machine and was amazed how easy it is to use. I have uploaded my first attempt. As you can see I have a lot to learn about carving fonts and also making the scanned in 3d images carve correctly. The only sad part is I broke the cutting tool trying to cut some wood. Has anyone else had trouble getting the bits out of the adapter? The allen key is not budging and starting to get chewed up.

rgant05
01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I have no experience (being that I am still waiting for Sears to deliver my machine) but have talked to CW about their bits in general. They did note that the factory bits are difficult to get out because of the locktite that was use. Depending on what type they use it may be nearly impossible to get it out without intervention. Being a gunsmith for many years and dealing with different grades of loctite, I can only put my experience out for thought (not necessarily condoned by CW). I have found that even the tougher locktites (such as RED permanent grades) will brakedown fairly easily when subjected to moderate heat, such as a hot soldering iron, big enough to heat the holder and screw up, or a small torch.... keeping in mind we are talking about "heat", not welding. It doesn't have to be cherry red but should be hot enough that it is really uncomfortable to hold without a glove.

CW may have another suggestion and I would certainly talk to them before I try anything else, but from a machinist's viewpoint this is what I have experienced.

Note: they also suggest having their bit adapter wrench (which I ordered with my full bit set)

Kurtsara
01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Don't take them out of the adapters, just buy a few more

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00926695000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

pkunk
01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
You have to take 'em out to get them sharpened. Heat gun will do it.

nodwell
01-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Does Sears also carry the carving bit? Would like to have an extra on hand for when I do a woops.....

Don