PDA

View Full Version : Sled "Tips"

mtylerfl
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Hello,

A recent thread prompted me to share with you a couple quick tips regarding easy sled making and gathering "supplies" from the "waste" of previous projects that you might find handy.

As you know, I design the monthly projects for CarveWright (and also for Vectric). For the CarveWright projects, I always specify a "plain" board with an extra 3½" at each end of the board for the purpose of keeping the board captive under the rollers during the project run. This is the simplest way of assuring a CW user (new or experienced) to be successful from the get-go with any project released publicly.

However, what most folks don't know is that I "salvage" the tails and "waste" boards from some of those prototype runs when I anticipate making my own additional (same) projects for gifts, etc. You may want to do the same thing to build up your sled material supply. Here's what I do...

1) After the initial project run and photo-documentation is done for the project, I cut off a teeny tad more than 3½" from each end of the waste board. If I anticipate I am going to carve additional projects using a carrier-board sled after the prototype is finished, I cut my project boards about a half inch longer than the specs in the instructions so I'm sure to get a yield of at least 3½"-long tail material. (If I'm pretty sure I won't be making another for myself, then my boards are cut to spec or only slightly longer than the spec. by about 1/8")

2) If the project uses more than one board, I will usually keep that second board intact as this can become useful as a sled "carrier" board for the current or some future project. Over time, I end up with several "intact" waste boards and "tails" of various widths and lengths on-hand until my next "spring-cleaning" of the piles of wood!

3) When ready to run a sled/carrier board project, I go to the pile and pick out suitably sized items and cut them to size, depending on the project. All I do is glue (with superglue and/or Tightbond) the tails on top of an old "intact" waste board from a previous project and trim the bottom carrier to size, if necessary. Then it's just a matter of cutting the center portion board for a tight fit (the project carve area) and inserting it between the tails on top of the carrier. Any slight gaps are simply covered with blue painter's tape. Sometimes I do need to make some minor alterations to the original MPC to accomodate the carrier/sled size if necessary.

This is a quick and easy way to accumulate sled/carrier supplies if you do some or most of your projects on "plain" boards. Equally easy is to just glue the tails on the ends of the carrier and away you go. I have built and used "standard" enclosed sleds, but I get lazy and usually don't bother if a simple carrier board will do the job.

A heads up - Ken Johnson (DocWheeler) wrote another excellent article about sleds and jigs with input from Chris Rawls on some very specific details about how the software is programmed to behave with sleds/carriers/jigs. It's a great article and will dispel a few common myths regarding the use of sleds in the CarveWright. He gave me the final draft of that article back in July of this year. I've been putting it off because I told him I wanted to do a video version of his tutorial and haven't been able to set aside the time to go into production on it! However, in light of some recent events, I am becoming quite motivated to "make the time"! I wish I could tell you ALL of what goes on behind the scenes - you have no idea how much effort goes into trying to help CW Users be successful!

I've shared a few photos below (I took this morning). I seldom photo-document my own personal projects as I can move about five times faster without having to fool with that. With the upcoming sled article, the plan is to do video, but I may supplement that with some stills and maybe even printed info too.

TerryT
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I do something similar. Most of my projects are designed using standard board dimentions. For example many of the cribbage boards I make are designed to be carved on 1 x 8 (7.25) or 1 x 10 (9.25) etc. I saved the cutoffs (tails) from the originals and now I just cut the boards to slightly longer than the project and add the 3.5 inch cutoffs to each end. That way I keep reusing them and don't have any waste to speak of. I mark them "Save" and put the size on them. Just make sure that if you center your carve on the board that each end (tail) is the same width or the carve will not be centered on the project board.

Also, the tails must be very verly close to the same thickness as the project board.

chebytrk
12-01-2011, 10:44 AM
That's what I've always done myself (use 4" tails on boards). I then just tape the tails on with Masking Tape (gotta help out Al Who's tape stock points). I then center my project on the board and all works fine. I've always wanted to try a sled, but as easy as it seems, I guess I just read too much in to it where it becomes confusing to me and then I just back off. I guess to "each his own and whatever feels good".

rcdages
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
My Two Cents:

I have had my A machine since you could first buy them LHR and I now also have a new C.

In all the years for the most part I have used a (Sled/Carriers/Jigs) to run my project on and never had a problem with it or even running a project with out it.

I always load my board or jig in so it is centered and the same amount of the tail is showing on the front side and back side of my machine.

Some of my boards or jigs have 3.5" or 4" tails. Again not a problem.

I have found most of the time, if I have had a problem I go to the mirror and I see the problem. "ME" the man in the mirror.

So there you go. For what ever worth my opinion is worth.

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, with all that EXTRA use of Masking Tape the reported the Stock Market was up over 400 Points last night.... THANKS GUYS !!!!

I like cutting the Tails into little Tourist Black Bears or Xmas Ornaments on a Carrier Board....

FrugAL

rcdages
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Way to go FrugAl.

I use masking tape on the underside of my jigs and boards.

I do help support your tape stock income.

cestout
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I do that also Michael, but another thing I do is run one thru with 4" tails, then hot glue the tails to the next, actual project size piece, using the table saw table and the back side of the rip fence as a guide. If the glue joints are not prefect - don't track - I tape a 1 or 3/4" wide strip of 1/8" mdf that is long enough to hang out both ends, to each bottom edge. Hanging past the board makes no difference if the little eye does not see it, and the eye only looks at the middle of the board.
Clint

mtylerfl
12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I do that also Michael, but another thing I do is run one thru with 4" tails, then hot glue the tails to the next, actual project size piece, using the table saw table and the back side of the rip fence as a guide. If the glue joints are not prefect - don't track - I tape a 1 or 3/4" wide strip of 1/8" mdf that is long enough to hang out both ends, to each bottom edge. Hanging past the board makes no difference if the little eye does not see it, and the eye only looks at the middle of the board.
Clint

I've never thought of that, Clint. I just threw out a bunch of tails, before Thanksgiving, while getting ready for some CW videos - weeding out some of the clutter. I might have tried gluing some tails together on the project boards, instead of tossing 'em. I'm down to one box of say, a dozen tails or so, so I can still try that.